PDA

View Full Version : Just got back - Dining Reviews

DisneyGrrrl
10-03-2007, 10:24 AM
This will be brief, but just wanted to share.

Friday, 9/28 - EPCOT for the F&WF. We sampled around the world, some were good and some were not. My favorites: lamb with caramelized onions from Australia and the goat cheese/sundried tomato quiche from France. Honestly, DH and I both said that this was the most disappointing F&WF so far and this is our sixth year doing it. Some of the quality and sample sizes were not great for the price, that we seem to think went up this year. Also, the computers at the booths kept going down and we heard A LOT of complaining from the CM's which was unusual. Overall, we will do it again (this Saturday actually - for DH's work retreat) but I don't think we will buy alot of the samples.

Dinner - Boatwright's Dining Hall at POR. We stayed at French Quarter, but my folks stayed at Riverside so we ate there. It was pretty decent. Kind of pricey (about $60 total) but good quality. I had the shrimp pasta and DH had the snapper. DD (10 months old) had the mac and cheese and I think more of it wound up on the floor. :blush: We tip well! LOL!

Saturday, 9/29 (my 27th birthday) - Magic Kingdom

We wound up eating at Pecos Bills for lunch (myself, DH, DD, my mom and stepdad, brother, his wife and two sons). It was a ZOO in there but the food is always good. I had the chicken wrap and DH had to good 'ole burger. Yummy as always.

Snack - In Liberty Square - the cookie ice cream sandwich. SO GOOD. We eat this every trip. It's not the pre-packaged one, it's the fresh baked cookies with ice cream in the middle.

Dinner - for my birthday, we left DD with my mom and went to Artist Pointe at the Wilderness Lodge. Honestly, I left there thinking, "eh". The smoky portabello soup rocked my world, LOL, but the beef tenderloin was just okay. DH had the buffalo which he said was awesome. And they gave me a free cobbler for my birthday, which we both thought tasted like a muffin, not cobbler. Oh, we also got a side of the macaroni and cheese with Maytag blue cheese crust and we literally could not detect a hint of cheese in the whole dish. It was disappointing. Our total bill was $140 and we spent less than that when we went to Bern's last month in Tampa, where we live. And the food was abundant and better. Oh, well. We tried it at least.

Sunday, 9/30 - MK/MGM

I started out this day by getting a massage at the GF while DH and DD played at Magic Kingdom. It was heaven and I recommend it to anyone.

For lunch we headed to MGM for the Playhouse Disney lunch at H&V and I recommend it to anyone with little kids. It was probably the only meal that we got to take our time and enjoy because DD was so entranced by everything going on. I like the food here and so did DH - it's not gourmet and it's simple but I like that.

For dinner we walked over to Riverside from French Quarter and got food from their counter service. Honestly, it was really good. DH did the make your own pasta and I did the make your own salad. It was good, fresh and under $20. I would rather eat that than the Artist Pointe food. Seriously.

Monday, 10/1 - Check out and Downtown Disney

I forgot to mention that we had been eating breakfast every morning in the FQ food court - mostly beignets. LOVE THEM. Can't say that enough.

For lunch this day we did Rainforest Cafe in Downtown Disney, thinking that it was something that DD would love and last time we were there the food was good. WRONG, wrong, wrong. It was terrible. I can't believe that for two side salads, and appetizer and a few chicken nuggets for DD that the bill was over $50. We left hungry. The salads were not as good as remembered (caesar) and the appetizer was just okay but everything was so greasy. We didn't even finish it. DD's chicken nuggets were okay, but how do you mess that up? Overall, I can say that we will not be back and I plan on sending an email.

Ghirardelli - We had a sundae here before leaving and as usual, it was awesome. Love that place.

Overall: I love eating at Disney and we had some great food this time around. For our upcoming December Christmas trip, we have 1900 Park Fare booked for breakfast, Sci-Fi Dine in for lunch and (hopefully) we can get into the new Yak and Yeti. :cloud9:

DisneyGrrrl
10-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Okay, I lied, LOL! It wasn't brief at all! :blush:

DessertDivaFL
10-03-2007, 10:53 AM
Thank you for posting your reviews. It is interesting to hear how some places stay good while others are going down hill fast (ie. Rainforest Cafe).

goofysbabe
10-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the review - I can honestly say I DO NOT LIKE the Rainforest Cafe. My kids love the atmosphere, however the food is overpriced and there's not really anything I like on the menu. It's way too loud for me and there's always a long wait. Sorry to hear Artist Pointe was so disappointing. I loved Boatwright's we had a wonderful meal there. Just an FYI for your upcoming trip we loved Sci-fi-dine in.