PDA

View Full Version : Smells of Disney

kbean
10-03-2007, 09:05 AM
I read this in another thread, "There is also the familiar bromine Disney "smell" in the water that reminds you that you are in a Disney water ride."
So what smells or taste trigger a little quick flasback of Disney for you? For me, I can agree on that certain water smell. And the smell of certain smoke reminds me of the smoke they use on rides so you get the idea that something is burning.

Rodders
10-03-2007, 10:05 AM
American foods tend to have a higher sugar content than UK foods so for me I think of Disney when I smell sweet things. The sweet smell of Candy Floss or the sweet smell of the a sweet shop reminds me of the sweet shop on main street.

mttafire
10-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Without a doubt..The "water smell". Even when our dishwasher vents it kinda reminds me of POTC!!!:blush:

ibrowse17
10-03-2007, 10:20 AM
The monorails have a smell of their own that I have noticed for years. It reminds me of being a kid every time I smell it.:thumbsup:

goofysbabe
10-03-2007, 10:24 AM
The smell of oranges - everytime I smell them I think of Soarin' (my most favorite ride). The children I babysit for and my family went to WDW one year and that was our favorite ride as a group. The next year when my family was heading out for Disney (end of summer trip) the mom bought me a orange scented candle:thumbsup:. Now everytime I burn it I am reminded of our wonderful trip.:crazy:

mouseketeer mom
10-03-2007, 10:25 AM
The monorails have a smell of their own that I have noticed for years. It reminds me of being a kid every time I smell it.:thumbsup:

It reminds me of being in a barn every time I smell it. What the heck IS that?

Main Street USA smells delicious..cinnamony and good.
The Poly smells like heaven..another water smell there.
And we purchased a new grill this year..I love it..whenever I cook, I smell Boma's..that AKL smell!

wedway76
10-03-2007, 10:27 AM
I think this s VERY underrated topic! Disney smells good! Weather it’s a bakery, a restaurant, a gift shop, a resort or even the streets of WDW everything has a great smell. It seems that there must be a smell manager in the company, and he or she is doing a great job. (Well maybe except for the Monorail)

Main Street USA smells delicious..cinnamony and good.

I agree Main Street probably has the most memorable smell to me.

crltkcagle
10-03-2007, 10:47 AM
The water definetly has a smell to it and also the POC has a distinct smell too. Especially around the area where they are firing the cannons. but when it comes to smells my kids will always remember figment and the "skunk spray" or the show philharmagic and bugs life which each had their own distinct smells too!

TKDONALD
10-03-2007, 11:26 AM
The two big smells for me are the towels in the hotel when you first arrive and the burning smell always triggers Disney in my head. (Spaceship Earth):mickey:

Great question

JWB3
10-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Definitely the water - always reminds me that I'm back. 16 days!!!

darthmacho
10-03-2007, 12:25 PM
The "water" smell is without a doubt, the most talked about. It is so distinct, and strangely comforting! :mickey:

Another popular smell is the sulfur smoke smell from Rome burrning on SE, but I prefer the wood smoke smell from the delicious grills at restaurants like Artist Point, Ohana, and Boma!

Another smell that gets me sentimental is one that is not made by WDW, but one brought by the guests: sun block! I always get sentimental when I get a whiff of sunblock. My favorite is Water Babies, but any will do.

Finally, the warm humid Florida air has its own smell too. Its different than what we get in New England, and far more tolerable. When NE gets that humid, for some reason, I don't enjoy it as much. I wonder why? Perhaps there is something missing? ;)

teambricker04
10-03-2007, 01:02 PM
I LOVE the smells of Disney!

I love the smell of wet asphalt reminds me of coming into MK and watching the opening show. It always reminds me of my Aunt who worked at MK and passed away a few years ago.

I love the musty smell of POTC and the Universe of Engery.

The smell of Frontierland... like I am back in Phoenix.

I could go on and on and on... the whole thing makes me misty eyed. I am such a sap.

I can't wait... only a month until we go back!!!!!

My favorite sound??? The cloping of horse hooves down main street.

Belle_0717
10-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Of course, the water and the orange smell - orange mentos remind me more of Horizons!

How about the smell of Florida - when you get off the plane and you hit humidity. Sometimes u can get a whiff in NY in the summer.

century3
10-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Oh, yes the orange smell! I love it in Horizons and I’m glad it’s back in Soarin’. The burning wood smell in Spaceship Earth has always been a favorite of mine. It’s hard to narrow down the smells at WDW to my favorites. There are so many smells to choose from! That’s one aspect that is hard to really understand until you are there. It’s one of those “Oh! So that’s what they meant!” sort of things that you need to experience yourself. The smells provide a nice, unforgettable “background” to any trip to WDW.

FatherForce
10-03-2007, 02:40 PM
How about the smell in the Emporium at the end of a hot and humid day when it is packed wall to wall with people who have been sweating all day?
:thedolls:

Mnchknbrat1982
10-03-2007, 02:54 PM
for me its smelling things like cinnamon rolls, the smell of an afternoon rainstorm. A big one for me though is the ability to be able to breathe even though there is humidity in the air. And not having to take sinus pills every day lol!

If you've ever been to Indiana in the summer time you know what I mean if you have any sinus/allergy problems.

momof3+twins
10-03-2007, 02:58 PM
The water smell....yes, the dishwasher sometimes with the right detergent. Coffee at a restraurant not at home. The exhaust of a school bus or large truck...the buses. The smell of the new items in the gift shops....you can smell it at a Disney store.
We are all so sick in this family...I even have the kids saying " OOhh that smells like Disney World." I am sooooo glad that we are not alone.:mickey:

mickey&missy
10-03-2007, 03:49 PM
The water smell definitely :cloud9:

Also, the different food smells on Main Street. I love the smell of the popcorn when you first walk onto Main Street under the train station!! Somehow microwave popcorn doesn't do it. But, popcorn at a ball game or venue like that does it.

I also have a thing about sounds! I absolutely love the toot of the WDW railroad and the boats from the resorts to MK! :cloud9: certain toys and other things have similar sounds, its an instant flashback and a warm-fuzzy feeling!

tomorrowschild
10-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Every time I stay at a hotel it makes me feel like I am at Disney. It must be the carpet cleaning solution, but hotels (for the most part) always smell like WDW.:mickey:

jakeybake
10-03-2007, 04:20 PM
The smell of the resort lobby. As soon as I walk in and get a whiff of the a/c or whatever it is, I know I'm in Disney.

Also, the distinctive smell of the dinner buffets. You may think I'm nuts but when I stayed at the BC each time I walked past, or dined at Cape May the smell reminded me of all the times I dined at 1900 Park Fare and Chef Mickey's in the past.

JohnHMCWYG
10-03-2007, 04:28 PM
The water smell is definitely a reminder of Disney. I can smell it coming off the pavement after a rain has fallen. It also works well with the humidity you feel upon landing in Florida. It's especially great in the late Winter/early Spring. The weather is cold up North, even somewhat in April, but when you land in Florida, warmth is what you feel. This year, we ended up with a night flight that took off in the 8:00 hour. It was early March and it was wintry up in New York, but when we landed in Florida, it was near midnight and quite warm.

Really awesome.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

LovinWDW
10-03-2007, 05:51 PM
-How about the burning rain forest on the Kali ride.
-The smell of gas around the speedway
and the smell of the bakery on Main St.:thumbsup:

21 more days! :yay:

PlutoLover
10-03-2007, 06:02 PM
The smell that takes me back to Disney is actually nothing in Disney...My hubby bought me a bottle of Rag Doll perfume (the Sally perfume, nightmare b4 xmas) and I wore it my entire trip last September so now every time I spray it on I go right back to POFQ with my family. It's my own little bottle of magic :tink:

McGoofy
10-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Great topic. Just the other day I had to make cookies for my son to take to school. I used the Nestle "break and bake" chocolate chip cookies. When they were baking, they reminded me of 2 things: Main Street Bakery at MK and the Junior Chef baking thing for kids at Epcot in The Land.

One time when my son was about 3 years old, he smelled a truck at home, and he said, "It smells like Disney!" Diesel fumes always make me think of Disney buses too.

kbean
10-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Yeah, I have to say a certain perfume that my mom wore when I was a kid to Disney will bring back a jog of Disney.

hockeymom
10-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Oh yes, the water!
I especially love Sp. Mountain and the humid inside and water smell outside....sigh

I agree with the "Florida" smell and the cinnamon (Main Street).

Glad our family is not alone.

laward32
10-03-2007, 08:57 PM
This actually happened to me today. One of the ladies at work bought a new candle and it had been lit for a little while and the smell just took me back to WDW. I couldn't place exactly where, just that it had to be one of the shops. It was really weird. I know part of it is because I am only 22 days away from being there, but it was really funny.:mickey:
ONLY 22 MORE DAYS!!!

IloveDisney71
10-04-2007, 08:29 PM
... The exhaust of a school bus or large truck...the buses. .:mickey:
This is one of the first smells that popped into my head! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of it!
Even though the bus exhaust :ack: is not one of the good smells, it still reminds me of Disney!:D

baldburke
10-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Great topic! There are so many it is tough to decide. Turkey legs of Frontierland. That's want reminds me of Disney.

Staying at AKL last time, they have an incredible smell in the lodge lobby. I don't know what it is exactly, but it is a combination of spices and it smells great.

It is funny that you posted this topic. I was walking in town about a week ago on a block that backs up to a number of restaurants and felt the smell was somewhat similar. That, coupled with the fact that the weather we had was simliar to what we experienced in FL last November really took me back and gave me a deja vu feeling.

EPCOT84
10-05-2007, 02:05 AM
The orange fields of Horizon, the sweet roses of Imagination, and the burning woods of Spaceship Earth stand out for me.

The aroma of freshly air popped popcorn will always remind me of a Disneyland park.

Sometimes I walk by a restaurant or when preparing dinner, certain pasta aromas make me think of the Grand Concourse at the Contemporary, both of Chef Mickey and the former steakhouse.

And yes,the hotel lobby smell and the monorail are memorable

lauter52
10-05-2007, 11:51 AM
It reminds me of being in a barn every time I smell it. What the heck IS that?

LOL!!! My wife and I say it reminds us of the elephant house at our local zoo! Definitely a unique scent!

For us, it's the smell of certain water that reminds us of walking past the fountains at Epcot.

Imagineer1981
10-05-2007, 11:53 AM
its got to be the bakery in Paris at Epcot...oh and SE fire, and the dampness of Pirates..i could go on and on

lauter52
10-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Thought of another one...the smell of the glazed roasted nuts as you turn the corner from Future World walking toward Canada at Epcot.:cloud9:

Always Goofy
10-05-2007, 12:07 PM
This is one of the first smells that popped into my head! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of it!
Even though the bus exhaust :ack: is not one of the good smells, it still reminds me of Disney!:D

Yep...you not alone...My son said this to me the other day too. I also ride in shuttles from each plant site, so when I hear the bus and smell it, I just imagine that I am going from the hotel to Epcot, or to the MK. Makes the day see brighter!:mickey:

Haku
10-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Whenever I smell a chili dog with onions(or a Hot Wiener if you're from the North East ;) ) I think of the original smell they had on Stitch and how it almost made everyone in my party sick.

kbean
10-06-2007, 04:31 PM
ummmm. yes, i forgot about the turkey legs.

mainstreet1997
10-06-2007, 07:06 PM

Last time I was there it smelled like sweaty cows!

mainstreet1997
10-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Last night I was walking around by a stripmall with my family. The air was warm and there was a smell of hamburgers...reminded me of either MK or DTD.

thejens
10-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Thank you to everyone who shared. I just loved reading every post. Funny how remembering smells takes you back there more than anything else.

McGoofy
10-07-2007, 11:22 PM
I was reminded of another one today. Our family was grilling shrimp on the BBQ grill. It smelled just like the food and wine festival when you walk up to the Austrailian booth where they have shrimp on the barbie.:mickey:

JuicyMoose17
10-07-2007, 11:52 PM
My Favvvvvvvvvvvvv smell is tower of terror .... if not tht then the lobby f the AK lodge if not that then the streets of MGM in the morning...

Belle's Mom
10-08-2007, 05:19 PM
A friend of mine has some scented lotion that smells just like the apple pie smell at PhilharMagic! I really enjoy that smell and she helps me go there any old time! I also love the Poly smell and pineapple makes me think of the Poly too!:lei::papple:

Floridian Yeti
10-09-2007, 12:10 PM
I love the smell of wet asphalt reminds me of coming into MK and watching the opening show. .

Exactly! I also love the smell entering Epcot first thing in the morning (once you get past the bus exhaust, that is - but that is another Disney smell!)...the fountains, damp mulch and freshly watered plants. Maybe it's all that oxygen they're pumping out, but it always gives me a lift.

Great idea for a thread!:thumbsup:

Deesdisney
10-09-2007, 12:43 PM
This is kinda strange but the smell of rain on the asphalt. The first time I ever walked into WDW parks it was raining and that has stuck with me ever since. And also the smell of popcorn.

candaceB
10-09-2007, 01:10 PM
I was in a parking garage the other day and it reminded me of the smell of the loading area at Dinosaur, which is my favorite smell at WDW. Well, not icluding Splash Mountain water and rain and the Main Street bakery and Casey's Corner and the caves on Tom Sauyers island and WDW air and Sorin' and...

mainstreet1997
10-10-2007, 03:37 PM
I was in a parking garage the other day and it reminded me of the smell of the loading area at Dinosaur, which is my favorite smell at WDW. Well, not icluding Splash Mountain water and rain and the Main Street bakery and Casey's Corner and the caves on Tom Sauyers island and WDW air and Sorin' and...

Your favorite smell? If I remember correctly isnt that kind of a weird gassy smell?

ldn324
10-10-2007, 04:09 PM
I have two: My first is, luckily, one I can always have with me :mickey: - it's Laila perfume from the Norway pavllion. DH and I discovered it several years ago and I've bought some form of Laila produce each year since. Always makes me think of Epcot when I wear it.

Second is a weird one - the smell of the trams that take you from the parking lot to the gates. It's like that final realization that you are on vacation when you get on the tram and are headed to a WDW park! It also kind of reminds me of my childhood going to Six Flags Over Georgia - those trams had the same smell.

nellyj
10-10-2007, 05:40 PM
ok, well mine is cinammon. anyone who has been to mickeys christmas party will know what i mean. in the uk it's used rarely so anytime i smell some it takes me back to main street. i even have some yankee candles i found in a store here that smells just like the baked cinammon smell in main street. one of my little girl's friends asked me what the candle was... i replied "disney". :mickey:

DisFan01
10-10-2007, 05:43 PM
My favorite smell is in Dinosaur's waiting room (after vid.) at Animal Kingdom. :number1:

candaceB
10-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Your favorite smell? If I remember correctly isnt that kind of a weird gassy smell?

Not really.

Sweezy
10-11-2007, 10:34 PM
as many others have mentioned...the water smell is very noticeable and sentimental. I feel like pretty much everywhere on property has some type of sentimental smell to it, really...a couple others that i can think of are the hotels (lobbys, hallways, rooms), and of course Spaceship Earth (espec. the rome is burning scene).

dumbo ears
10-11-2007, 10:42 PM
To me its the smell of the bakery on mainstreet as you walk by.

Exo
10-14-2007, 01:03 PM
I rode the new POTC ride 2 weeks ago. Though I throughly enjoyed the ride and that Jack Sparrow wasn't too distracting, I missed the fire burning smell in there. Why did they take it out? It's one of my fondest memories as a kid. BAH! :(

LizLovesDiz
10-14-2007, 01:38 PM
I love this discussion !!! There are so many wonderful smells.Definitely the water smell at POTC.I also love when you first walk into the TOT,there is a distinct smell.The monorails used to smell like barnyard to me,and someone explained to me that it was the glue that they used for the carpets,who knows.I do notice that they are not as bad as they used to be!The confectionary on Main street is wonderful.I had bought a pair of silk PJs in China the last time I went.The smell was awesome,so I didn't wear them for a long time,must have been incense or something.We are going in Dec.and I can't wait to smell the holiday smells!!!! :santa3:

kbean
10-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Ok, because of work during the holiday(USPS), Ican only enjoy one day of disney xmas. I can't decide if I should attend Verry Merry Xmas Party because I've never been, or should a spend a dayat AK because it's been awhile since I've been there. What are your thoughts.

mainstreet1997
10-19-2007, 10:50 PM
I love this discussion !!! There are so many wonderful smells.Definitely the water smell at POTC.I also love when you first walk into the TOT,there is a distinct smell.

I love that smell! I always wondered if it was a kind of standing water smell but POTC and Splash Mountain water is always moving. The first time I smell that water is actually at the Orlando airport. There is a fountain when you come out of the doors by the car rental and walk across the road to the car rental garage!

danyele128
10-20-2007, 12:17 AM
My girls stumbled upon a great smelling shampoo that smells just like the water rides at disney. It is the yellow bottle of Loreal Kids shampoo. I think it has like a blue flip cap on top. Anyhow, It smells wonderful. They can be cleaning up and I am taken back to the last ride before we go home. Its' Great!!

End_User-X
10-29-2007, 09:26 PM
I was gonna post one called "smells like Disney" but I'm glad I found one already started. I noticed all the different smells while I was there about 3 weeks ago. The perfumes, the food, the smell on a water ride...but my favorite one that almost had me spellbound was the smell of Animal Kingdom Lodge. I almost asked a CM what they use to get it. I had never smelled anything like that before. It was awesome. When I go back, even if I dont' stay at AKL, I'll go there just to smell that lol. :cloud9:

kbean
10-30-2007, 04:39 AM
So what is the smell like at the AKL? I never been to that resort yet.

wonderalice23
10-30-2007, 10:45 AM
How about the smell of Florida - when you get off the plane and you hit humidity. Sometimes u can get a whiff in NY in the summer.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree! That humidity combined with the wet asphalt smell after a summer rain in NY! I was beginning to think I was nuts!:thumbsup:

Goofy Dad 13
10-30-2007, 02:57 PM
The smell of the Animal Kingdom Lodge lobby. We love this smell, and every once in awhile, we come accross it somewher else and say "Did you smell that" or "get over here quick" and then we talk about one of our trips.

As others say, there are so many, but this is my favorite.

emerzmom
10-30-2007, 04:40 PM
I always smell waffle cones on Main Street. It seems that it is coming from the ice cream shop but you never know. I have read/heard that Disney "pipes" in smells. Whether they are "real" or not...sure smells good!
:tink::magic:

emerzmom
10-30-2007, 04:48 PM
I always smell waffle cones on Main Street. It seems that it is coming from the ice cream shop but you never know. I have read/heard that Disney "pipes" in smells. Whether they are "real" or not...sure smells good!
:tink::magic:

2GOO-FEE
10-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Mine favorite smell is the sulfur smoke smell from Rome burrning on SE.

End_User-X
10-30-2007, 10:35 PM
So what is the smell like at the AKL? I never been to that resort yet.

It's hard to describe. It's not like any other smell I've smelled. A combination of spices (maybe from the firepit) and Boma's wood smoke smell.

Someone also mentioned the popcorn smell just under the railroad station at MK. That brings back such memories. I remember distinctly getting a box of popcorn there 2nd to the last day at WDW. Used one of my last snacks on the meal plan. :woohoo:

Samtastic
10-31-2007, 04:25 PM
Mine favorite smell is the sulfur smoke smell from Rome burrning on SE.

I totally agree!!! I hope they didn't take it out with the update!!!

I once built a fire and I smelled like it all day. I was totally like--I smell like Disney fire!

michelLe x3
10-31-2007, 05:00 PM
I never thought anyone else liked the Splash mtn water smell its kind of gross but i love it

JasonH
11-01-2007, 01:00 AM
There are several smells that I can associate with WDW. The most typical one of course is the smell of the water, but it doesn't just remind me of the water rides. It also reminds me of the Fountain Of Nations and the fountain that used to be in The Land. The smell of oranges always reminds me of Horizons thanks to the orange grove scene. The smell of smoldering embers/bacon bits(don't ask me why they smell very similar to each other, they just do to me) always reminds me of the fall of Rome scene in SE. Bus exhaust fumes remind me of course of the WDW busses. :silly: The smell of an ice cream shoppe and sweet backed goods will remind me of Main Street, USA.

SwtVaBrz7
11-01-2007, 01:36 AM
The two big smells for me are the towels in the hotel when you first arrive and the burning smell always triggers Disney in my head. (Spaceship Earth):mickey:

Great question

YES! I totally know what you're referring to when you mention the "burning smell" on Spaceship Earth. I hope that smell won't change with the remodeling that is currently taking place!!

End_User-X
11-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Several people have mentioned the burning smell at Spaceship Earth. Unfortunately, it was closed when we were there, so I have never been in there. :(

tinklover
11-20-2007, 04:26 PM
I think that water smell you all are refering to is warm chlorinated water they pump chlorine thru caus ether eis always that chance of someone putting their hands in the water and it has to be sanitary, that is why you smell it when your dishwasher runs due to chlorine being in the water , that smell does take me back to disney that and when i smell the perfume cinabar

Crystal Palace
11-20-2007, 05:30 PM
The musty water smell from Pirates, the metal smell on Space Mountain, various Main Street smells, churro smells...

wedway76
11-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Several people have mentioned the burning smell at Spaceship Earth. Unfortunately, it was closed when we were there, so I have never been in there. :(

If you want to know what Rome burning in SSE smells like. Do what Samtastic did. Sit by a campfire for several hours and then smell your clothtes.

LandFan
11-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Staying at AKL last time, they have an incredible smell in the lodge lobby. I don't know what it is exactly, but it is a combination of spices and it smells great.

I agree! That and the Poly smell are my favorites!:cloud9:

2 days!!

BelleandtheBeast
11-20-2007, 07:12 PM
I always think of the water smell when I smell the dishwasher too. Someone has mentioned that and it is right on the nose for me too. I also remember the smell of the alien encounter ride.

MicMouse
11-21-2007, 09:56 AM
I think that the monorail stop inside the Contemporary smells kinda funny. It reminds me of my old college dorm's food court.

SignguyTom
11-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Yep, the water smells and the waffle cones are up there, as is the popcorn and churro carts. But my favorite has got to be the smell of the sausages and sauerkraut from the Biergarten restaurant in the Germany Pavilion. Reminds me of my Grandma when I'm at Disney, reminds me of Disney when I'm not. :cloud9:

Crystal Palace
11-21-2007, 01:36 PM

Same here!:( I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Maybe next time!

celebrationasheley
11-22-2007, 12:37 AM
I love the smell in Spaceship Earth...smells like bbq sauce, and on main street, people think its the chocolate chip cookies when it i sactually the waffle cones being made in the cone shop

John L
11-22-2007, 10:30 PM
The monorail smells like a freshly opened band-aid. I have noticed this the last few times we were onit. Not really a bad smell, kinda a sanitized smell.

MinnieMommie
11-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Yesterday I was baking for Thanksgiving and when I pulled the apple pie out of the oven I turned to my husband and said, "this smells like Disney". I think it was the cinnamon. It reminded me of churrios. Then I made sugar cookies and said the same thing. :mickey:

Mackflava99
11-23-2007, 03:46 PM
The bad skunk smell on figment :)

But as far as good smells, the bakerys have a great smell that i remember, also the candy Cauldren in DTD and I also agree with the water small. Whatever it is, its distinctive.

pook@wdw
11-24-2007, 05:57 PM
When I smell toasted sweet pecans, I think of the little cart outside "The Land" in EPCOT, where I get my toasted pecan "fix". I only get them if they're hot, though!!:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

LudwigVonDrake
11-25-2007, 01:00 PM
The smell of Main Street, the water smell from PotC and Splash Mountain. and Rome burning in SSE come immediately to mind :mickey:

amd780
11-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Absolutely the water smell. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks of WDW when I smell treated water! :mickey: