PDA

View Full Version : Lovebugs?

azdisneymom
10-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Need a little help. Can someone please give me a crash course on lovebugs? I have no idea what they are. Do they bite? Is there a certain time of year they come out? Etc.. Disney usually does a wonderful job keeping bugs away, are lovebugs a problem?

Strmchsr
10-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Lovebugs are annoying but they don't bite and they aren't dangerous. They're just little bugs that are attached to each other (hence the term lovebugs) that land on everything. They come out late summer/early fall and are gone after a couple of months. Usually mid-September through mid-October is their peak season. There's nothing anyone can do about them, but there's nothing to worry about.

Speedy1998
10-02-2007, 08:37 PM
They are only hazardous to your car's paint job. They usually come out in the spring and fall. They come out in such large numbers that they can not be controlled.

DisneyDudet
10-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Are they out at the World yet?

Figaro
10-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Indeed they are out at the World. They don't harm anything, but they sure are annoying. One word of advise... don't kill them... it attracts more of them to you. I've only seen a lot of them at the Contemporary soo far.

GrumpyFan
10-02-2007, 10:43 PM
It seems like there are more of them around areas with lots of water. The water parks and pools seem like they have more swarming around than other areas.

DisneyDudet
10-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Ick!

Hopefully they don't interfere w/ the Intercot Illuminations Party!

Here we go again...
10-03-2007, 06:38 AM
You will see them mainly during the day.
They do not bite or sting, but some people freak out a little just because they are bugs.

They are attracted to wate and the color white. So, if you wear a white shirt to the park, be prepared to have one or 2 land on you. :D

disneyfan328
10-03-2007, 12:44 PM
we just returned on 9/30 and YES the love bugs were out. Only saw a few the first couple of days, but then man it was like a love bug fest all of the sudden. MGM was the worst. they were all over everything. white shirts, shoes, bags, doesn't matter - they were everywhere. they are slow enough that you can swat them away, but they are annoying and try NOT to swat at them too hard. If you squish them or hit them to hard, they (eww gross) inards stain whatever they touch. this is why they are so damaging to cars. I have stains on my shoes from where one got squished by accident. byt the last day, they were pretty much everywhere. DTD EPCOT ect. probably not as bad as last year from what I read so that's good, but they are definetly out now.

Sunshine1010
10-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Will they still be present around October 15th?

spinnerf
10-03-2007, 01:35 PM
We were there 9/25 to 10/2 and by yesterday there was a remarkable reduction in love bugs, the first few days it was like they were swarming, Id imagine theyll be gone in a week or so.