PDA

View Full Version : bleu's Disney job interview and Epcot anniversary celebration day - part 2

bleukarma
10-02-2007, 02:56 PM
Cast:
Me – Amber – 27 – applying to work at reservation center and enjoying the Epcot 25th anniversary celebration
My Aunt Madeline – 73 – accompanying me to help celebrate Epcot’s 25th anniversary

I left the little castle-looking Casting Center at around 10:30. On the way out I couldn’t help but notice how far back the line was to even pick up an application. It was a good tip from my co-workers wife to come early! We decided to drive across the street to Downtown Disney so I can find a restroom to change out of my dressy clothes and into jeans and sneakers. While we were there we couldn’t turn down Earl of Sandwich! I think I’m addicted to their All American sandwich! And they have tomato soup that my aunt can eat and loves. After eating our “brunch” (I was bad and skipped breakfast that morning) we headed to Epcot.

We got into the park around 12 and picked up our 25th anniversary buttons at the gate, along with our retro map and times guide. I consulted the times guide and I confirmed what I already knew (thanks to Intercot)…I missed the rededication ceremony around the Fountain of Nations at 10:01. Oh well…at least I possibly have a job with Disney so I figured that it was a nice consolation prize. I saw that Marty Sklar was scheduled for his speech at 11:30 (we missed it!), 2 and 4:30. I really wanted to sit in on this, as Marty is a Disney Legend and I figured that it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. We decided to stay close in Future World and sit in on the 2pm speech. We headed to Nemo and Friends, as it was a nice slow ride that my aunt could ride, and neither of us had ridden it before. A 20 minute wait was posted but I think it was more like 10. I liked how the CM loading us into the clam shell reminded us to “just keep swimming”. I thought it was cute!

After the ride we watched the manatee’s some and then tried to get into Turtle Talk with Crush. It was 12:15 and the next show wasn’t until 12:45. We decided to skip it and move on to try to find the 25th anniversary display at Innoventions West. Once in Innoventions we took our free postcard picture and sent it to my mom in Ohio. It’s a good thing I know a little bit of Spanish because on the first picture that we actually liked (after 4 tries!) I accidentally hit the Spanish button! Opps! Later I wondered if my mom would get a postcard written in Spanish, but this morning I viewed the one that was copied to me and it’s in English. We walked all around Innoventions West but we couldn’t find a 25th anniversary display. We asked a CM and he informed us that it was over behind the Character Spot. We almost got caught in a downpour on the way there, but dodged it by about 2 seconds. Once there it was worth it! They had a room filled with display on the different area’s of Epcot, old and new. It was really nice to see!

When we left the anniversary display it was about 12:45 with clear skies. That was a short rain storm! We decided to head over to the Land to see how the line was doing for the 2pm Marty Sklar speech. We walked into the waiting area for the Circle of Life pavilion (where Marty was speaking) and saw that there were enough people in there to take up all the seats, but that was about it. We figured that as long as we’re standing we would go downstairs to Sunshine Seasons and grab a drink and a snack. I wasn’t hungry so I just grabbed a diet coke but my aunt got the Soar’n Brulee and it was really good!!! I just had to help her eat it!

A little after 1 we walked back up to the Circle of Life theater and saw that there were more people there, but it wasn’t too crowded yet. A CM informed us that they will be opening the theater about half an hour before the speech so we decided to wait it out. It was then that I wished I had gotten my aunt a wheelchair (despite protests from her) because I hated to see her on her feet for so long. Alas…chivalry is dead and nobody offered a seat for her, but once we were in the theater and seated we were happy. Promptly at 2 the two Disney Ambassadors came out to introduce Marty Sklar, to which he (rightfully) received a standing ovation. His hour long speech was informative (did you know that there is a sink hole in between Future World and World Showcase?) and very entertaining. The admission alone is worth getting to see and hear him talk about the early days of Disney. We saw pictures of “thin Marty” (as he called himself) walking on an big yellow X on a bare piece of earth where Cinderella’s Castle would be built. And he brought video sound clips of old pieces of Epcot music (including the old Canada and Mexico pavilion songs) that my aunt really enjoyed. I wonder if you can buy those on cd somewhere?

After Marty’s second standing ovation we decided to head to The American Adventure. We have been to Epcot more times then I can count but somehow neither one of us had done this before. It was a little after 3 and the next show was 3:45 or 4:30. We entered World Showcase at the Canada side and I my eye caught the Greece food booth! I wanted to try the spanakopita. It was very yummy!

By then we didn’t know if we wanted to rush through the countries to make it to the 3:45 show of the American Adventure or do a leisurely stroll and catch the 4:30 show. We just walked and ended up getting there about 3:44. We were able to get in, but unfortunately we sat in front of a couple with two young kids that didn’t want to watch the show. Because of the crying and talking and I couldn’t hear the show anyway so I decided to rest my head on my hand and take a nap. How I did it I have no clue, but the sleepies I was fighting must have been powerful! I was a little upset that I missed the show because I actually like history and I knew I would enjoy it. As we were walking out I told my aunt that the next time we come we will have to do that again. She told me that the next time we come we will have to try to stay away from sitting in front of young kids!

When we walked out of the American Adventure we were hit with dark clouds and high wind. It felt good as it helped to wake me up. But I was a woman on a mission! I knew the Poland booth was around and I wanted a pirogue! I found it, ate it, and loved it! We walked a little more and hit Germany where I decided to go by their festival food booth and get a small piece of their apple strudel with vanilla sauce. It was good and the next time I come I might get a big one from the pavilion. It was then that we were faced with a decision. We could tell that it was starting to rain and neither one of us wanted to get wet (walking around wet and cold wouldn’t help my aunt’s lungs too well) so thought it might be a good idea to take a boat back to the other side of the lake and start getting ready to souvenir shop and head home. But my aunt didn’t really want to wait for the boat so we walked the rest of the countries. Thankfully the rain never came. We headed to Mouse Gear to see what they offered in the way of anniversary souvenirs. They offered four limited addition things; t-shirts, watches, figment plush’s and 25th anniversary pins. By the time we got there only a few pins were left. I bought two and my aunt bought two, as there are a 2 per person limit.

Around 5:30 we were heading out the gates, happy that we made the trip. The speech from Marty Sklar was well worth it, but on top of it I have a big possibility of working for the company I love the most! October 1st was a good day!

Part 1 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=117166)

Jeff G
10-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Sounds like you got a lot accomplished in one day. Good luck with the job interview!

On Thursday night I could here noises coming from EPCOT much later than the park hours which were the tests for the 25th firwerok show. Sounded like quite long.

SBETigg
10-02-2007, 04:18 PM
Fabulous part one report, thank you! I feel as if you brought me along for the day. Love Thin Marty! Best wishes with the job.

faline
10-03-2007, 07:26 PM
I love pierogis! I was fortunate enough to have my grandmother teach me how to make them!

What a great day! Your aunt sounds like a real peach!

TikiGoddess
10-04-2007, 07:49 PM
What a great day! Thanks for reporting. And good luck with the job interview!

TikiG

tinkerbellybutton
10-05-2007, 07:04 AM
Sounds like you and your aunt had a great day, thanks for sharing and good luck with the job!!

irish1967
10-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Sounds like a great day!

Keep us posted on how the job situation goes!

KylesMom
10-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Although you missed the rededication ceremony, it sure sounds like you had a wonderful day. And to hear Marty Sklar speak - COOL!

I sure hope your dream of working for Disney comes true!!! Keep us posted! :mickey:

bleukarma
10-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the wishes! I appreciate them greatly!!! Deciding to apply to Disney or not was actually a stressful decision for me. I think the cut in pay was what was stressing me out. Then I realized that if I worked for Disney then I would be more then happy to work overtime hours to make up for it! ;) And the perks would make up for it. Also, I only live once so why shouldn’t I be working where I truly want to work? Now I just have to wait until October 22nd to find out what happens! I’ll keep you posted!

ElenitaB
10-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Thank you for this report... you really brought us along for the day. :)

You're absolutely right: life is too short to be working at a job you really don't like. Best of luck with the second interview.

Vintage Disney
10-05-2007, 11:16 PM
I would LOVE to hear Marty Sklar speak. Thank you for telling us about your experience. I miss the old Epcot and wish that I could have been at the rededication. Let us know how your interview on the 22nd goes.:magic:

pogo
10-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Thanks for sharing your trip and your thoughts with us. I hope you get the job ! Be sure to let us know ! :D

murphy1
10-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Hi Amber! Glad you are pursuing your dream! Lots of people start out somewhere at Disney and move up, I'm sure you will, too! Look at Meg Crofton, the Pres of WDW!! You never know. I told you before that a lot of great things started happening for me right about your age, so just go with your gut and don't look back. They would be very lucky to have you. I remember when they were pursuing me to work there, I wish I had done it, maybe someday I still will!

bleukarma
10-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Well, I just had my interview and I didn't get the job. :( I don't have enough sales experience. But, I will continue to enjoy the parks and one day I will apply again and hopefully get it next time. :mickey:

faline
10-23-2007, 09:14 AM
Sorry it didn't work out for you.

AbeeNormal
10-23-2007, 03:20 PM
My dearest Amber,

I am so sorry.:(

Don't give up the best things in life are worth fighting for. :thumbsup:

Now that you've done your interview you'll know what to expect next time. :)

Keep enjoying everything Disney has to offer and some day .... Dreams can come true. :cloud9:

pdrlkr
10-23-2007, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey: