PDA

View Full Version : bleu's Disney job interview and Epcot anniversary celebration day - part 1

bleukarma
10-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Cast:
Me – Amber – 27 – applying to work at reservation center and enjoying the Epcot 25th anniversary celebration
My Aunt Madeline – 73 – accompanying me to help celebrate Epcot’s 25th anniversary

Well, the time has come for me to bite the bullet and try to give up my office job and apply to work for my favorite place on earth. I have a co-worker whose wife works for the reservation center in Tampa and she has been trying to convince to me to come on board. She also worked in the real estate title industry business (like I do) and she knows how unsteady the market is now. She is a “Disney nut”, like me, and was expressing to me how happy she is to get out of the title industry and work for Disney. I was sold! She said the best thing to do is go to the job fair. It just so happens that a job fair started on the same day that Epcot was celebrating their 25th anniversary! I scheduled a personal day at my office and Monday, October 1st I hit the road for the 45 minute drive to the Casting Center. My aunt wanted to come along and go to Epcot with me for their 25th anniversary. We both had 1 day left on our 3 day pass from our June trip so we figured it was the perfect day to use it.

I wanted to try to get to the Casting Center by 8 because my co-worker’s wife said that they tend to get a line the later it gets. I ended up not getting there until 8:30 because I had to stop and get gas and I accidentally drove into Team Disney instead of the Casting Center. Opps! Once I got there I stopped by the main desk and they took my info (name, address, what job I was applying for) and handed me a folder with the application in it. My aunt and I sat in the waiting area while I filled out the application. After a little while a woman came and announced that if we were filling out a cream-colored application (like I was) then we were to go into the movie room and watch the pre-employment movie if we haven’t already seen it. I went into their little movie room with about ten other people and watched a short movie on the meaning of CAST and a clip of Walt reminding us that it all started with a mouse.

After that I went back into the waiting area and finished my application. When I turned it in to the guy at the desk he was the first to exclaim “you drove all the way up from Tampa?” I told him that we’re going to Epcot for the 25th anniversary celebration after this. He told me to make sure I watch the fireworks, he heard they are going to be good. I hadn’t really planned on staying that late. My aunt hasn’t been feeling good lately and I didn’t really want her in the night air. But I knew I would enjoy the rest of my day, fireworks or not!

I waited another good half hour before I was called back in for my interview. The lady that interviewed me was the second to exclaim “you drove all the way up from Tampa!” I told her that I actually live in Brandon so it’s not as bad. Once we sat down I handed her my cast member referral card from my co-worker’s wife. She actually knew her! Bonus!!!!! I was confident in my interview with questions like rate my Disney knowledge from 1 to 10. Hello...a 10! The only question that triped me up was "with keeping with Disney standards do you have any visable tattoo's?" I have a tiny pink star on my shoulder but if I don't wear a tank top then you can't see it. I told her "no" but for some reason I feel like I lied. But, I was scheduled for a second interview next Monday at 9 at the reservation center in Tampa. Yay!

Now it was time to start the fun part of our day!

I’m going to split my report in two parts. The part where I get to see the 25th anniversary diplay and a speech by Marty Sklar, is coming up shortly! :mickey:

Part 2 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=1436251#post1436251)

KylesMom
10-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Fabulous, Amber - congratulations on taking the jump!!! I'm sure you'll get what you want. Can't wait to read more about your Epcot 25th day!:mickey:

AbeeNormal
10-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Good Luck Amber:tink:.... I really hope you get the job.

I am also in the Real Estate industry and if it wasn't for the fact that I was on the wrong coast I would apply too. :thumbsup:

IloveJack
10-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Good luck! Both dh and I have said that we'd love to retire to WDW and then work there.

poeticeclipse
10-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Good luck! I'm so excited for you. Someday i'd love to work there... even if its doing grunt work. Just to be able to say that I serve the mouse.:mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
10-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Good luck Amber!! Here is some :pixie: hoping you get the job!! DH and I both would like to work in the world someday. Maybe we will retire here, gotta get that pension, and then work in WDW. That would be cool. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

faline
10-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Best of luck to you! Sounds very hopeful!

bleukarma
10-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Well, Walt Disney World recruiting called me last night and asked if they could push my interview back to October 22nd. I guess there are some changes going on at the reservation center and they decided to push all interviews back a few weeks. I thought waiting till Monday was going to be hard! It’s too bad because when I came into work on Tuesday my boss told me that this coming Monday (the 8th…the day my interview was scheduled for) someone else is going to come in and take over my job (even though I’ve been doing it for two and a half years and I’ve told him numerous times that I like my job) and I am being moved to a different department. I was afraid this was coming, which is why I decided to go ahead and apply to Disney. I thought that on Monday I would get to come in with a Disney job and they wouldn’t have to bother to train me in the other department, but now I guess I have to go through the training. I feel bad going through training and then putting in a two weeks notice (if I get the Disney job! *crosses fingers*) but unfortunately I can’t afford to be out of work for a month. The interview is two weeks away and the recruiting woman said that training would start two weeks after the interview.

But, I should count my blessings that I have a job! I could’ve easily been pulled into the meeting with my boss and been told that they had to let me go! With all the lay-offs that have been happening in this company it was a strong possibility!

Vintage Disney
10-05-2007, 11:03 PM
Good luck with your next interview! How exciting that you took a chance and interviewed with Disney!

pogo
10-08-2007, 07:15 AM
Great way to start ! Thanks for sharing. :D

pdrlkr
10-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

ChipnDaleGal
10-24-2007, 11:45 AM
That was really interesting to read about the application process for Disney. I hope your interview went well on Monday and that you are working for Disney before you know it. Good luck.:thumbsup:

LibertyTreeGal
10-27-2007, 03:22 PM
So how did it go?