PDA

View Full Version : why onsite?

Nekochan
10-02-2007, 07:33 AM
I looked at staying onsite, but it seemed sooo much more expensive than staying just outside the gate, such as at the Candy Cane Inn. Other than more Early Entry days, what would be the reason to spend that much more money?

NotaGeek
10-02-2007, 10:35 AM
There are several other threads asking the same question already going in this forum, you might be able to find your answers by scrolling down or using the search function.

The DLR Hotels are all really nice properties, and the difference is having that Disney Magic ... the theming a the Disneyland Hotel (my personal favorite) is worth it ... great CMs, comfy rooms and you are just fully part of the resort.

The off site properties are significantly less, so if money is an issue they are a good alternative -- I have stayed at the Ramada, BW Park Place Inn and the Fairfield Inn -- all were great and really close to the main entrance.

Check out THIS THREAD (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=103914) for some other insights.

gtpooh
10-05-2007, 01:52 PM
We stayed onsite during a trip this past July, and for us (traveling with an 11 month old), it was fantastic to be so close to our hotel that we could go back to the room for a quick break or a swim in the pool. We had our DS take afternoon naps in the room, and when he woke up, we were able to be back in the park in minutes. The hotel was also beautiful (we stayed at the Grand Californian) and for us made the whole vacation more relaxing with less hassle.

Melanie
10-06-2007, 03:16 AM
To me, I discovered that staying offsite at Disneyland is something I can certainly do if finances call for it. And it's really not bad at all! :mickey: I can't say the same for when I go to WDW.

Because of how close some of the offsite hotels are (walking distance), I didn't totally lose that Disney feel like I do when I drive offsite at WDW.

Of course, I prefer onsite and it's really a treat when that's possible. If this is a first time trip, or the only time you will visit Disneyland for many years, I really recommend going onsite. If you make a lot of trips, offsite isn't so bad. :thumbsup:

Taja
10-23-2007, 02:21 PM
We stayed at the Grand California in July, 2006. Loved the hotel--it's gorgeous and the proximity to California Adventure is incredible. And Disneyland is just across the plaza. :thumbsup:

That said, for the price, I probably would not stay there again. Unlike WDW, the DL resorts do not have EMH (there was early entry EMH for one morning at CA one morning--that was it!) and other perks when staying on site. You still have to pay for parking when staying at a DL resort--or we did at that time.

On a purely cost/value basis, I probably would not stay on site at DLR again. But under the right circumstances... :)

NotaGeek
10-23-2007, 02:45 PM
We stayed at the Grand California in July, 2006. Loved the hotel--it's gorgeous and the proximity to California Adventure is incredible. And Disneyland is just across the plaza. :thumbsup:

That said, for the price, I probably would not stay there again. Unlike WDW, the DL resorts do not have EMH (there was early entry EMH for one morning at CA one morning--that was it!) and other perks when staying on site. You still have to pay for parking when staying at a DL resort--or we did at that time.

On a purely cost/value basis, I probably would not stay on site at DLR again. But under the right circumstances... :)

Hmmm. Not sure who gave you the info at the Hotel, but Disneyland does have early entry 2-3 days a week. California Adventure does not offer early entry. Parking is included in your daily resort fee (everyone that stays at the resort pays this fee) and that includes parking, use of the pool and health facilities, daily paper etc.

Marilyn Michetti
10-23-2007, 09:57 PM
For us, staying off site, is NO BIG DEAL! We're (cough) "old", and a break from the theming is kind of nice. This will be our first trip to DLR, and we're staying at Candy Cane Inn.:)

brewcrew26
11-16-2007, 12:14 AM
I'd spend the extra money on a Disney resort. My boyfriend (now fiance) and I stayed at the Holiday Inn at the Main Gate.

We made a last minute decision to go to DLR and we were looking for an affordable alternative. But, we were sorely disappointed.

I think the worst thing that happened was the blood we found on the sheets. :ill: When we called housekeeping to have them changed, they wouldn't do it because it was so late at night. When I went to check out in the morning, the manager "reassured" me that he would look into the situation.

In retrospect, I should have pushed harder to get something done because it was so absolutely disgusting. But, I guess I just wanted to get out of Anaheim and back to San Diego as fast as possible...

I know that's a very extreme example, but it's hard to compare to my awesome experiences at the Disneyland hotel as a child and teen.