PDA

View Full Version : Q re: flying and the 3 oz. rule...

Dsnygirl
10-01-2007, 08:53 PM
:plane: Well, this is our first time flying since the whole 3 oz. rule went into effect for carry-on luggage. :ack: Understandable, but still a pain!! Anyway - my question is - I know everything has to fit in one quart sized zipper bag per person, but does it all have to lay perfectly flat, or can it be pretty well filled? (i.e. things laying on top of each other, etc. ) I can fit all our stuff in 2 bags, but only if there are two rows and things are on top of each other. If I need to mail stuff w/ our costumes, I will - I just don't want to have anything confiscated at check-in!! Also - does the 3 oz. rule apply to makeup as well? (i.e. makeup base or concealer, etc., that may be in a tube) Boy, that would stuff our bags for sure! :blush: Okay - there it is -- anybody have any advice? :plane:

(Oh - and we aren't checking any luggage - otherwise, it wouldn't be an issue! :))

:thanks:

bouncer
10-01-2007, 09:14 PM
the 3 oz rule does apply to makeup (lipgloss, lip stick, foundation, mascara etc) You can stuff as much as you want into the bag as long as they can clearly see what's inside. last time I flew I went on TSA's website to check what they will allow. Maybe you could do the same just to be on the safe side.:plane:

mandmmom
10-01-2007, 10:19 PM
I have began using solid make-up. You can get it from Clinique as well as Sephora.(made by Benefit) Instead of a lip gloss I use Bert's Bees lip shimmer. it is colored, shiny, conditioning and solid. You can also purchase toothbrushes that are prepasted. Both of these can be purchased at drug stores. I let my children use the soaps and shampoos available in the hotel. Remember that each passenger gets a zip top bag. Some of my items go in their bags.
P.S. Don't plan on bringing snow globes back. They contain liquid. On a recent trip mine did not get through and had to be shipped. A friend in another line got hers through.

Tink&Goofy
10-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Anything liquid, gel or cream (lipstick, etc) must go in the bag. I'm not sure how strict they are on the quart size - or if you had more than one. One thing to keep in mind - the 3 oz. limitation is the total container size. My DH had his toothpaste confiscated - it was more than a 3 oz. tube, but only had about a 1/2 oz. left in it! Picky, picky!! So larger containers that are only half full won't work!

crazeedizneefinatic
10-01-2007, 10:58 PM
I did not carry on much so I don't know personally but at the MCO airport they did have a worker holding up a quart sized bag with small sample sized items in it and she was explaining what can be carried on. It only showed about 5 items in the bag so I am assuming it has to lay flat.

Also if you live near a Target store they do sell the quart size FAA approved bags. They are sold in packs of 8 and are .99. You can find them in the isle of all of the travel sized items.

DisneyDudet
10-01-2007, 11:33 PM
It doesn't have to lie flat, but the bad must close. Makeup is included, and some people I know have been stopped w/ gel type deodorants. I have accidentally left a liquid out of my baggie, but they didn't catch it, and when i found out, I immediately put it in the bag.

If you have others flying with you, you can split up the liquids. Say your husband doesn't have much to take, you can put your makeup or other things in his. The airports I've been do since the rule have you take out your bag and place it separately from the rest of your luggage (much like you do with your shoes or laptop).

If you go to target or wal mart and raid their travel size section, you shouldn't have a problem! Remember, you and everyone can share toothpaste and shampoo!

Dsnygirl
10-02-2007, 09:38 AM
:mickey: Thanks so much, guys, for all the info... I have to confess that I am a big "necessities" user (i.e. mousse, shave gel, lotion...) and knew ahead of time we'd have to ship some stuff w/ our costumes... some of my stuff just doesn't come in travel sizes!! I hadn't thought about the makeup, though, before I wrote this post, and I'm glad I asked... the bags will be full, but at least I think we'll get through okay!! :blush:

Thanks again!! :thumbsup:

mulderxcoltrane
10-02-2007, 07:34 PM
I don't remember if I saw this at Bed Bath & Beyond or at Linens & Things(pretty much the same store), but awhile ago, you could buy a quart bag that had travel size containers in it. That way, you knew exactly how much you can take and you can just fill the containers with your favorite products! It was up by the checkout and I think it was $10, which is a little pricey, but may be worth it, if you don't want to have to figure out exactly how much you can bring.