PDA

View Full Version : Hannah Montana Is "Like the Beatles"

Ian
10-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Hannah Montana Is 'Like the Beatles'
MONDAY OCTOBER 01, 2007 02:45 PM EDT
By Stephen M. Silverman

She may not have beat the 38-second sold-out mark achieved by the Spice Girls, but Miley Cyrus is headlining one of the best-selling tours of the year.

Her 54-date "Best of Both Worlds Tour," which features the 14-year-old star of the Disney Channel's Hannah Montana, has "gone clean" (agent talk for "sold out") so fast that scalpers are getting up to five times the face value for tickets, reports the Associated Press.

One show ticket for Charlotte, N.C., for example, went for $2,565.

"We knew it was hot, but we had no idea it was this crazy," said Debra Rathwell, senior vice president of tour handler AEG Live. "It's like the Beatles."

Cyrus, by the way, is out-selling The Police, Justin Timberlake and Bruce Springsteen, the AP reports.

In Memphis, about 12,000 seats sold out in 8 minutes. Tickets for the show at the Arena at Gwinnett Center outside of Atlanta were gone in 4 minutes.

Even her dad, country music singer Billy Ray Cyrus, seems bowled over by his daughter's success on the road.

"Miley is opening for me in Nashville," the elder Cyrus, 46, joked to PEOPLE last week. "She plays the [Sommet Center] arena with 18,000 people on Thursday night and I play the Wildhorse Saloon for 1,800 on Friday night."

On her TV show, which is watched by some 5 million viewers every week, Cyrus plays high school student Miley Stewart, who lives a secret double life as a famous pop star, Hannah Montana.

Cyrus's tour follows the June release of her double album, Hannah Montana 2/Meet Miley Cyrus, which has already sold more than 1 million copies. Her first album last year sold more than 2 million copies.

tadshome
10-01-2007, 06:15 PM
I am not suprised, my 10 year old started watching it when we were at WDW in August and is totally addicted now! It is (thankfully) now on the Disney channel in the UK and he watches it every day. Do you know if she will be playing any shows in London?

2Epcot
10-01-2007, 06:36 PM
I've watched the show a few times and find it rather amusing. I work very close to where they shoot her show so I often see kids coming to watch it or be part of the show along with their parents ... They are always excited when I ask them if they are going to see Hannah Montana. The numbers associated with her concerts are very impressive. Hopefully she will stay a good role model and not fall into the Britney/Paris/LIndsay trap.

DisneyGiant
10-01-2007, 09:05 PM
I think this concert also sold out so quickly because the Jonas Brothers are also there - both Radio Disney Gold.

There's a lot of controversy over how they're selling the tickets. I mean selling out in 4 minutes. How could that possibly happen?

I would pay $65 a ticket for the kids - but not over $200.

Its a shame only the "rich" kids will get to go to the concerts..............

Figgyluv03
10-02-2007, 12:56 PM
It's not the regular concerts tickets that are selling that high, it's the scalpers selling. Hey, it's Supply and Demand. High Demand, high prices. I'm very happy to see how this show has taken off. From what I've gotten from interviews and magazines, Miley is a very down the earth girl, who has no intentions of turning into Paris or Britney. She attends church every Sunday, mantains good grades in school, and even has to do chores.