PDA

View Full Version : Is it Holiday Time Already?

Patti
10-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Last weekend (Sept. 22) I went to Borders to pick up a book. There were Christmas cards on the display racks as well as holiday music playing.

Then, I went to BJ's. The artificial Christmas trees are on display and lit, as well as wrapping paper and decorations for sale.

We used to joke that the decorations are up before Thanksgiving; now they're up before Columbus Day!

JPL
10-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Actually was in Walgreen's yesterday and up on some top shelves they already had Christmas stuff mixed in with the stock. They just finished putting out Halloween last week and they already gearing up for Christmas :jaw:

Disney Doll
10-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Yep. We noticed it too. At Target they already have quite a bit of Christmas decor out. You can find Christmas lawn decor right next to the Halloween candy. Weird.

DVC2004
10-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Macy's (formerly Marshall Fields) near me has several Christmas Trees up already and is selling ornaments and decor items. Too early.

IloveJack
10-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Our local Wal-Mart started stocking the shelves with Christmas stuff two weeks ago. In fact, you can still buy grass seed in the shelf next to the snowglobes. Kind of ironic, and definitely too early. It just reminded me of all the money that I don't have to spend on Christmas!

Jasper
10-01-2007, 04:48 PM
We actually saw some Christmas trees on sale at our local Wal-Mart during the last week of August because we commented that it wasn't even Labor Day yet and they were already at it. Granted it was only two trees but still it was before Labor Day and I think that is just too much!!

baldburke
10-01-2007, 11:04 PM
I was jst at Michaels this evening and they were playing Christmas music.

I think Hallmark has had the Christmas ornaments ot since about July.

Terra
10-02-2007, 07:16 AM
Yup, here too!!!

But I love it!!! I decorate our place on Thanksgiving weekend, so I'm getting all the stuff before hand!

And this year will be even more fun since DS will be a year old and he loves looking at fun stuff like that!!

JohnHMCWYG
10-02-2007, 12:05 PM
I've been an employee of Wal-Mart for over 5 years and I'm still trying to get used to the Christmas decorations going up in the Fall. I'm just waiting for the dancing dolls to come out...The ones where you press a button to try them out.

Once they're out, I'll be going there on one of my breaks and pressing all of them rapidly in order to set up a chorus...You know, just for fun.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

IloveDisney71
10-02-2007, 01:25 PM
I've seen Christmas items for sale in several stores already. I think they could at least wait until AFTER Halloween! :mpumpkin::ghost::santa3::gift:

disneydeb
10-02-2007, 01:48 PM
I may just have excitement overload this fall into winter.
Meeting some of my Intercot friends AND a Disney trip in 7 days.:mickey:
Christmas with my first grandchild.:santa:
Life is good.:thumbsup:

Terra
10-02-2007, 02:33 PM
I've been an employee of Wal-Mart for over 5 years and I'm still trying to get used to the Christmas decorations going up in the Fall. I'm just waiting for the dancing dolls to come out...The ones where you press a button to try them out.

Once they're out, I'll be going there on one of my breaks and pressing all of them rapidly in order to set up a chorus...You know, just for fun.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

:haha::haha::haha:

I may just have excitement overload this fall into winter.
Meeting some of my Intercot friends AND a Disney trip in 7 days.:mickey:
Christmas with my first grandchild.:santa:
Life is good.:thumbsup:

Oh how fun!!!! My mom LOVED Christmas last year since DS was only a month and half!! Her first Christmas as a grandmother too!!!

I hope you have the best ever!!

Ian
10-02-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm sorry ... I'm not a Grinch at all (in fact, Christmas is far and away my favorite day of the year), but this rush rush rush to the holiday by the retail industry really burns me up.

I'm old school ... after Labor Day you can start with Halloween. But no Thanksgiving talk until after Halloween. And then once Thanksgiving is over (or right before maybe), up can go the Christmas decorations.

Having them up in SEPTEMBER is just ridiculous. We're not even in the FOURTH QUARTER YET!

disneydeb
10-02-2007, 10:27 PM
Oh how fun!!!! My mom LOVED Christmas last year since DS was only a month and half!! Her first Christmas as a grandmother too!!!

I hope you have the best ever!!
Thank you and may you have a truly blessed season also. :)

Terra
10-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Thank you and may you have a truly blessed season also. :)

Ahh..thanks...I'm excited that he's a bit older now so I can start the "tradition"...I always said I would make a "Happy Birthday Jesus" cake when I had children...so we're doing it!!
And milk and cookies for Santa!!!

disneydeb
10-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Ahh..thanks...I'm excited that he's a bit older now so I can start the "tradition"...I always said I would make a "Happy Birthday Jesus" cake when I had children...so we're doing it!!
And milk and cookies for Santa!!!

That's nice! We may have to make a cake like that for my dear GS to get the idea of what the season is all about. Do you mind if I use it?

Bethis26fan
10-02-2007, 10:55 PM
I say bring it on lol. I love Christmas and looking at all the christmas stuff just makes me happy. In fact it's only 82 days till Christmas.

AmyKane
10-02-2007, 11:42 PM
I work at Crate and Barrel and we started unpacking our ornaments about 3 weeks ago. They go out this Thursday! Love It! Tis the Season... :joy:

Terra
10-03-2007, 07:58 AM
That's nice! We may have to make a cake like that for my dear GS to get the idea of what the season is all about. Do you mind if I use it?

Oh goodness no!!! Use it all you want :)
I actually remember reading about that years ago in my early 20's. They had other neat things too, to help instill the meaning in children.

That was one thing that stuck out in my mind.
Doing the advent each week also was another.

Oh and I loved what one family did. Each child got 3 gifts [that was it]. Because Jesus was brought 3 types of gifts. So that helped to instill meaning AND to not go overboard. I thought that was a really neat idea too.

snowflakegirl
10-03-2007, 09:59 AM
I work at a candle store and we just put out all of our holiday fragrances in the candles this past week ... we've had a preview of our most popular out since September 9th. This week we also put out holiday fragrances in our non-wax items and holiday gift sets ... It shouldn't be much more than another week or two and I'm sure we'll have the holiday accessories out as well... Nevermind that we still have Halloween stuff in our windows and I'm just getting to the point of being ready to stock up on my fall fragrances ;). I can't believe how early we're setting up the holiday stuff this year ... Seems like it was even earlier than last year.

This summer I was walking around the mall and noticed a couple of ornaments in the window at Hallmark ... at first I thought, maybe it's an isolated thing, or someone somehow accidentally has left something since last season because clearly there couldn't be holiday things out in June ... and then I looked at the signs hanging in the window, all of which had Santa Clause on them!

I'm willing to concede that maybe we don't have to wait until after Thanksgiving, but before Columbus Day seems a bit much!

ImagiAsh
10-03-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm really not a fan of kicking off the holiday season THIS early. I was in my local Macy's in AUGUST getting some last minute things before I left for college and there were Christmas trees being decorated in one of the departments. Don't get me wrong, I love the holiday season, but I can wait until mid-November to kick things into gear. Many stores here in DC haven't even finished putting out their Halloween merchandise yet!