PDA

View Full Version : POR..... Very Worried!

crazeedizneefinatic
10-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Well, we just got back last night from WDW and while we were there we booked our trip for 2008 (sept. 26- Oct 5th) using the bounceback program and did receive the free dining again. (Thanks Intercot, would not have know just being there!)There will be 5 of us next year and we choose to stay at POR. On the day of checkout we were using our extra snack credits at the gift store and another Disney employee told us she disliked POR. I asked her why and she said it is run down. I have never stayed there before and earlier in the week another employee told me something along the same line. I am worried I made a mistake. I do hear mixed reviews about the place and would like to hear the good and the bad. And if bad why. Thanks!

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-01-2007, 11:51 AM
I don't think you have anything to worry about!

We stayed at POR for our honeymoon, and it was beautiful. The resort is very pretty, with lots of winding trails, lots of trees and vegetation, a great place to relax. Although it is large, you'll love the pool, and there are many quiet pools throughout the resort.

We've moved over to POFQ, 'cause we like the smaller size, and DH likes the themeing, but we're back at POR for Boatrights, and just to hang around each trip...and it still looks wonderful.

You'll have a great trip :mickey:

Marker
10-01-2007, 12:00 PM
I spent 4 nights there in March and thought it looked great. We also spent a few nights there back in '97 (it was Dixie Landings then), we loved it then, and we loved it this time just as much.

Did you ask for further details on what was "run down"? Perhaps as CMs they see things that the average guest never notices.

Seasonscraps
10-01-2007, 12:02 PM
I think you made a GREAT choice with POR! It's one of my favorites - the rooms are nice and find the pool, Boatrights, the River Roost and food court very enjoyable!

#1donaldfan
10-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Please set your mind at ease.......that resort is sorta our home away from home and I'm here to tell you it's AWESOME !!!!!! There is so much to like about it...the food court is great, Boatwrights is great for breakfast, you can ride a boat to DtD to shop, numerous pools to choose from, the transportation system is very efficient.......you'll love it.....!!!:mickey:

CanadianWDWFan
10-01-2007, 01:00 PM
We check in there in 5 days.:cloud9: We stayed at POFQ last April and walked around POR. We found it to be quite nice, hence we booked this upcoming trip there. So I'll let you know in two weeks when we get back.:(

One thing you have to ask is, when did this person last stay at POR?

ncscgirl2005
10-01-2007, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't worry one bit. POR was beautiful when we were there in August.

What were the employees that gave you the information comparing POR to? The Poly?

Jasper
10-01-2007, 02:38 PM
I am quite surprised to hear any CM saying such a thing. First of all it is simply NOT true. And secondly such a blatantly wrong and negative statement by a CM can get them in a lot of hot water!

Disney just doesn’t let their resorts get “run down.” With as much time and money as Disney spends refurbishing their resorts they never get the chance to get “run down.” Even when a Disney property is getting close to a major refurbishment they continue to make sure that it doesn’t fall off in their standards.

One other thing I have noticed is that people often times mistake comments about someone just not liking a resort as a comment that there is something wrong with it. For example, I do not care for the Contemporary Resort because I think its theming is no longer that special. But when I said that a while back to a sister-in-law she took it to mean that there was something wrong with the Contemporary when there really wasn’t.

sainter
10-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Not really sure what the CM could have meant. All the rooms were refurbished 2-3 years ago; tile replaced carpet at the sinks, privacy curtain, new bedding, shower curtains, different light fixtures, etc. The food court is brand spankin' new as of last March. ..I really think you will enjoy POR.

crazeedizneefinatic
10-01-2007, 04:38 PM
I am quite surprised to hear any CM saying such a thing. .

That is what frankly caught me off guard and made me rethink our decision. Every person has an opinion but coming from 2 people who actually work for Disney scared me. The first person we chatted with was a worker from CBR where we stayed. We started chatting about visits and so forth. We told her about returning again next year and she asked if we would be visiting CBR again. We said no we would be going to POR. She rolled her eyes. I asked why and she said "we will see how you like it". The second person was the cashier at the CBR gift shop. The last day we were there we were using our 11 snack credits to buy stuff, lol. We all laughed and she made the comment about must be the last day. We told her yes but would be back. We told her POR would be our next resort to try and she made the comment about it being run down. I did not ask here specifically what she meant by it but after hearing from you guys it puts me a little more at ease.

Jeff G
10-01-2007, 04:47 PM
I just got back from the POR yesterday. This was our third stay here and I thought the place looked great as usual. The rooms have recently been upgraded and I thought our room this year was much nicer than the room we had 4 years ago.

I would rank this as one of our top Disney Resorts along with the Polynesian and WL.

The only draw back I saw was the buses at night. The lines were very long after the fireworks at MK compared to any of the other moderates including POFQ. Once we were on grounds everything was quiet and awesome as usual.

MouseHouser
10-01-2007, 06:16 PM
We got back from POFQ last night. Do not worry, POR is great. We tried to switch to that resort, but it was full. Nonetheless, we spent much time there at the pool and other common areas.

This was the rare occasion when Internet research didn't get us to the "right" answer. People like POFQ for its compact size, and some prefer its pool. We found the French Quarter common areas to have a bit too much concrete and fencing for our taste. Riverside is more lush. Once we brought our Orlando guests to the Riverside pool, that was it. Couldn't get rid of them. Great fun. Next time we're booking POR.

Ms.Disney
10-01-2007, 11:12 PM
We were at POR for a week last month and it was a beautiful resort and we would stay there again in a hart beat. You will love it! I like it better than CBR. Have a great trip!

mermaidmarian
10-02-2007, 01:15 PM
I am quite surprised to hear any CM saying such a thing. First of all it is simply NOT true. And secondly such a blatantly wrong and negative statement by a CM can get them in a lot of hot water!

Disney just doesn’t let their resorts get “run down.” With as much time and money as Disney spends refurbishing their resorts they never get the chance to get “run down.” Even when a Disney property is getting close to a major refurbishment they continue to make sure that it doesn’t fall off in their standards.

I am shocked to have heard these comments attributed to anyone, let alone a Cast Member. We were at POR in August, I found the resort to be in very well maintained condition and observed general maintenance ongoing as well as refurbishment (playground on Ole Man Island) underway.

This is our preferred resort location, and we would not stay there if the property was becoming "run down". I really wonder what the individuals who made the comments meant or to what they were comparing - could it have been some inter-resort rivalry between CBR and POR? I know that many of us here at Intercot have very strong opinions about one over the other. :-)

illini
10-02-2007, 01:22 PM
Just chiming in to reassure you. We last stayed there in April 05 and it was gorgeous. They were just finishing with a minor refurb at that time. Not sure what was up with the CMs at CBR-- is there some kind of resort competition there? Regardless, they're wrong. It's a gorgeous resort.

crazeedizneefinatic
10-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Thanks to everyone for the reassurance. When we were making our reservations for next year POR was our first choice since we will have 5 in our party. Can't wait to go now. Only 360 more days, LOL!!

GrmGrninGost
10-02-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm sure you'll have a great time! We just returned from a late Sept. stay at POR and found it to be tremendous! It is such a beautiful area! We had no trouble at all and I'm sure we'll stay there again someday! Have fun! :mickey:

garymacd
10-02-2007, 07:57 PM
I wouldn't worry one bit. POR was beautiful when we were there in August.

What were the employees that gave you the information comparing POR to? The Poly?

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe they were trying to get you to stay at a better (read "more expensive") resort.

We also love Port Orleans, both sides, actually, but favour the French Quarter for its size and theming...and of course the beignets.:cloud9:

Tink65
10-02-2007, 08:23 PM
I love both Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter. I fully agree with garymacd.. I love to eat at French Quarter. I just got back from a weekend staying at All Star Sports..only place I could find for the weekend. I still drove over to French Quarter for breakfast.. love the Western omelet and of course the beignets. I think that you will be happy with POR. :thumbsup:

BW Fan
10-02-2007, 08:32 PM
If we are not at one of the EPCOT resorts, POR is our absolute favorite. Boatwrights is great, the piano player in the bar is worth missing a park one night to enjoy, and the food court is as good as any. In addition, the lush nature of the landscaping is very serene (which is important at Disney), and the boat ride to DD is fun (but slow). Can't go wrong staying at POR.:mickey::thumbsup:

tinksmom02
10-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Don't worry, you'll love POR! We enjoyed our stay there in January; since last week, we've decided POFQ is our new favorite, we enjoy the closeness of everything. I think our room in AB was almost the furthest away from everything, so being within 2 minutes of everything like we were at POFQ was a big plus for us. Plus, we had a beautiful view of the river!

We did, however, walk over to POR not once, but twice, during our stay. The second to last night of our trip we took a carriage ride and caught some of Bob Jackson's piano show (fabulous!), and the last night of our stay we went back specifically to see Bob Jackson again! Try the Sunken Treasure drink at the River Roost!

I will say that as much as we enjoyed the pool and slide at POFQ, if you have little, little ones, you'll probably enjoy the quiet pools at POR. They tend to be less crowded (as they don't have the draw of a themed slide).

Anyway, you won't regret your decision!

mrsgaribaldi
10-03-2007, 02:44 AM
We just stayed there last month and we are staying there again in a week. We love it:mickey::thumbsup:

Dakota Rose
10-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Just wanted to offer additional reassurance! POR is my favorite resort besides AKL and Poly. In planning our next trip(s), it's hard to not book the POR again.

I'm sure you'll love it!

crltkcagle
10-03-2007, 08:55 PM
my parents stayed there three weeks ago and they liked it. it was like being at home literally because we are from new orleans. they loved it and said it was a very nice place to stay.

Mickey91
10-03-2007, 11:50 PM
We just came back from POR and enjoyed it.:mickey: The resort is beautiful!! The pool and slide are fun!! Boatwrites was very yummy!! I think you will enjoy it! Have fun!

DisneyGrrrl
10-04-2007, 09:11 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. We absolutely love both POR and POFQ and neither are run down. It's actually our favorite place to stay.

tnpoohbear
10-04-2007, 12:53 PM
We stayed there in March for 3 nights in the mansions building and it was beautiful!! I would love to stay there again:mickey:

3 days till Animal Kingdom Lodge