PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Training Academy

sanchiplus2
10-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Anyone know anything about this? Below is some info I found on another site...

"Jedi Training Academy Coming Soon

One of the most popular venues of MGM's "Star Wars Weekends" is about to become a permanent fixture.

Plans are in the works for the construction of a stage in front of the Star Tours attraction where daily performances of the "Jedi Training Academy" will take place. (This is already part of Disneyland's Year of a Million Dreams.)

During this activity, 'Jedi Masters' choose children to be trained in the use of light sabers. Once these junior Luke Skywalkers become proficient, they'll be challeged by Storm Troopers and Darth Vader.

Other than the projected opening of 'this Fall' no specific dates have been announced. "

another tink
10-01-2007, 11:54 AM
I would like to know about this also. I have 3 grandsons that would absolutely love to be Jedi's .:number1:

SAHDad
10-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Doh. What about adults who want to be trained in the use of lightsabers?

It'll be kewl if this happens though - I bet my son would love it! :darth:

TKDONALD
10-01-2007, 12:51 PM
The Jedi Training Academy is a way for kids to dress up and get a chance to fight Darth Vader. Just imagine the faces of the kids when Darth Vader walks out with a light saber. Its a great event that is at every Star Wars Weekend and it was also at Celebration 4.

last real pirate
10-01-2007, 06:40 PM
i hope it wont only be for kids. i just might have to be a 25 year old kid....lol:yoda::darth:

SAHDad
10-01-2007, 06:44 PM
I'm not 34. . . I'm 6, with a pituitary problem. :D

TKDONALD
10-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Nothing wrong with that guys.:trooper:

AbeeNormal
10-01-2007, 07:00 PM
That would be jsut great.:number1: Sometimes it feels like they have tons for little girls but not much of anything
for my boys :mickey3::mickey3:

Carol
10-02-2007, 07:28 AM
This is not new to WDW. It was a permanent fixture at MGM last year - not just a Star Wars Weekend event.

They're bringing it back again. Only children are selected.

Shows & Entertainment Guide (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/park/entertainment.asp#MGM)

TheRustyScupper
10-02-2007, 07:50 AM
1) It will nice as a permanent & daily activity.
2) But, there is one caveat.
3) I would not discuss it much with the kids.
4) There are limited openings.
5) You don't want your child disappointed if not selected.

Dorito2000
10-02-2007, 09:30 PM
yes, it's happening. They've been in rehearsals for the last week or so. It opens this week sometime. The stage is finally finished.

last real pirate
10-02-2007, 09:46 PM
where is it located ?

KylesMom
10-03-2007, 01:44 PM
It will be located at the stage adjacent to the Star Tours ride at DHS.

2) But, there is one caveat.
3) I would not discuss it much with the kids.
4) There are limited openings.
5) You don't want your child disappointed if not selected.

I totally agree with this logic - we tried for several years for DS to be picked during numerous Star Wars Weekends - to no avail. Although he always said it was ok, you could see the disappointment in his eyes every time he was passed by.

mjm12000
10-04-2007, 02:09 PM
If it is like the one that have at Disneyland it will be awesome, it is entertaining even to watch. The one at Disneyland takes place on the tomorrowland stage, that comes out of the ground. The choose kids from the audience and dress them in Jedi cloaks and give them each a light saber that they learn some basic moves with and then they get to fight the Storm troopers, Darth Mall and Darth Vador. The costumes and stunts were great and the kids were so cute. I agree that it would probably not be wise to get your kids hopes up to high that they will get choosen but assure them that it is just as fun to watch.

MOJoe
10-05-2007, 01:42 PM
If your child is a Star Wars fan, then this is one of those "not to be missed" events. And because it is now becoming a permanent fixture, it may be easier to get selected, providing you stick to a plan.
Last June, my DS8 told me that one of his "Disney Wishes" was to get selected for Jedi Training. While this was going on all month, we found that on the weekends, all the Star Wars events were in full swing, and the crowds reflected it. Every Training session was mobbed with scores of kids waving their arms, and sitting on top of dad's shoulders. I was very discouraged, so i decided to come back during mid-week. What a difference! While on the weekend the crowd never completely left the Jedi Training Stage, later in the week we walked right to the front rail 10 minutes before the scheduled start. After 2 tries my son was selected. It was very exciting to watch, as he "trained" and then "fought" Darth Vader. He was thrilled, of course, and even now, when asked what was the most fun thing he did at Disney World, Jedi Training is usually the answer.
My point to all this is, with any Disney attraction, it helps to avoid the crowds. And even though you don't queue up for Jedi Training like a regular attraction, if you are persistent and increase your odds by getting there early and avoiding the masses, chances are good that your child will get selected.

LibertyTreeGal
10-06-2007, 10:06 AM
I'll tell ya, it is hard to get chosen! We waited for 30 minutes prior to the show at DL in March and some woman shoved her son past the crowds after the show had started (he ended up right next to us) and he got picked instead of my kids! I'd rather not go again, a zillion kids show up and very few are chosen.

thejens
10-07-2007, 11:32 PM
I have such mixed feelings about this! My son and nephew were chosen on the first try (yes we were there early) and they loved it. It was amazing. My 3 year old was too shy to do it, but keeps talking about watching his big brother fight Darth Vader! A big deal! But my heart broke for the kids who did not get chosen, many who had also been there early. It does seem like a poor system to randomly choose from a crowd of hopeful children. I think it would be better if they had some sort of fast pass system so you knew ahead of time if your child could participate. Then you could choose whether or not your child would enjoy watching or not. Children are just not capable of understanding why the kids to the left and right of them got picked but not them. I saw many trembling lips and teary eyes. Not the goal of the WDW imagineers I am sure! In addition I witnessed lots of overzealous parents pushing and shoving their kids toward the front with total disregard for anyone else's safety. Random selection would probably be a fine way to choose adults but reflects real insensitivity to children in my opinion. After all, no other ride is offered to just a random few adults! Using a fast pass to allot the spaces seems a simple solution. Now that it is a permanent attraction I hope they will consider it.

TheRustyScupper
10-08-2007, 09:17 AM
. . . I think it would be better if they had some sort of fast pass system so you knew ahead of time if your child could participate . . .

1) Actually, FastPass would be unfair.
2) All the passes "could" be gone within 1/2-hr of park opening.
3) Then, all kids coming later would be ineligible.
4) And, on EMH days, non-resort guests could be excluded.
5) Now, what about the "we missed our return time" excuses?
6) Starts a whole new round of how long FastPasses are good.
7) Fair or not, waiting to be picked is the fairest method.

NOTE: FastPass would be a slippery slope. What about all the other "picked" opportunities. Do we have FastPasses . . . to talk with Crush, to dance with a parade, to wake up Tink, to talk in Monsters, to pull sword from stone, to be a Grand Marshall in a parade, to be picked for a Dreams prize?

thejens
10-08-2007, 08:22 PM
I think it could be modified. For example get your tickets no earlier than an hour prior or something. But I don't really see the problem of the passes getting used up. After all the same is true for many attractions. The thing about this event is that there is limited capacity. That is the problem. Making little children wait for an hour hoping to be picked (some times this happens several times in one day) only to be passed over time and again is just unnecessary in my opinion. It would be much better to go to the FP machine and then let your kids know: we can watch this year or just go for a ride on Star Tours! Disappointing yes, but not heart breaking. Not being the one child chosen for a special honor is not as painful as waiting for over an hour and watching many kids picked while you are basically rejected. I understand, but a 6 year old really doesn't get it. It feels personal. I don't think any one is moved to tears by not getting to wake up Tink or be family of the day or get a dream granted, but there were a bunch of very disappointed little boys on the day I was there. It was hard for me to be happy for my own boys since I felt so sorry for the little guys who had been waiting with just as much excitement.

EPCOT84
10-08-2007, 10:37 PM
It will be located at the stage adjacent to the Star Tours ride at DHS.

Aha, sneaking in the new name ! :secret:

jiifigment
10-09-2007, 09:44 AM
"Aha, sneaking in the new name ! "

Why do I keep reading it as Disney High School???? :blush:

tealady
10-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Hello!

My son has participated in jedi Training on three occasions and it is absolutely marvelous. First the kids get a Jedi cloak and light saber. Then they have a lesson in using the lightsaber from the master. Then they wait to fight either darth mal or darth vader and it is so much fun for the kids!

You also get a certificate to say you are a jedi in training!

We loved it!

:mickey: