PDA

View Full Version : New TV shows that are disappointing

MNNHFLTX
10-01-2007, 09:04 AM
I thought it would be interesting to find out if any of the new shows out there are not living up to expectations. I know for myself that I was disappointed in Back to You. I mean, Kelsey Grammer and Patricia Heaton are both good, but the tone of the show reminds me so much of Frasier that it seems a bit mundane. I guess I was hoping they would try to put a new twist on it.

I also expected more out of Moonlight, although I think it has potential. If they focus more on the background of Mick (and his special abilities) and Beth and less on run-of-the-mill crime solving issues, I think it could be really interesting.

ChipnDaleGal
10-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Good topic Beth. The only thing I watched last week that was new and I was less than thrilled with was Big Shots. I thought with Michael Vartan and Dylan McDermott starring I would be crazy for this show. It was not great. If it weren't for those two guys I would not tune in again. I am going to give it another shot this week and hope it improves. I also was not that impressed with the first episode of the Gray's Anatomy spin off Private Practice. I want it to be good because I like Kate Walsh and Tim Daly, but I thought it was borderline boring.

Carol
10-01-2007, 09:21 AM
I agree with you about Back to You, Beth. I really wanted to love it - but didn't. :unsure:

I was less than thrilled with Journeyman, Cane and Big Shots. I haven't watched Moonlight yet. I have it on TiVo and will most likely watch it today.

On a positive note; I really liked Dirty, Sexy Money, Chuck and Private Practice.

Carol
10-01-2007, 09:25 AM
We were posting at the same time, Donna.

You didn't like Private Practice? I didn't have my expectations too high since the preview episode we have at the end of last season didn't 'wow' me. I don't know what it was - but I really enjoyed the first episode and how the characters played off from each other. :shrug:

ChipnDaleGal
10-01-2007, 09:43 AM
We were posting at the same time, Donna.

You didn't like Private Practice? I didn't have my expectations too high since the preview episode we have at the end of last season didn't 'wow' me. I don't know what it was - but I really enjoyed the first episode and how the characters played off from each other. :shrug:

I didn't think it was bad, and there are characters that I already like. It just didn't seem to have that "quality" that I love in the Gray's writing. Maybe I was distracted with a new actress is as Taye Diggs' ex. I'm still hopeful it will grab me.

For new shows that I really liked on just one episode - I loved Dirty Sexy Money, The Reaper, Chuck, Big Bang Theory and Life. I liked Journeyman and Cane, but hope that they will be even better once I know the characters better.

I am really anxious to see Pushing Daisies this week. and I still need to watch the first episode of Moonlight.

MNNHFLTX
10-01-2007, 10:04 AM
I didn't think it was bad, and there are characters that I already like. It just didn't seem to have that "quality" that I love in the Gray's writing. Maybe I was distracted with a new actress is as Taye Diggs' ex. I'm still hopeful it will grab me.

For new shows that I really liked on just one episode - I loved Dirty Sexy Money, The Reaper, Chuck, Big Bang Theory and Life. I liked Journeyman and Cane, but hope that they will be even better once I know the characters better.I thought Private Practice was okay and will continue to watch, but it didn't grab me either (of course, I was one of the few people who was less than thrilled with the spin-off episode last season, lol!)

I have to admit that I was also less than enthralled with Big Bang Theory, but it was probably was just the mood I was in that night (just wasn't feeling humorous, I guess). ;) Dave loved it, however, so I will undoubtedly be seeing more of it. :)

ChipnDaleGal
10-01-2007, 10:34 AM
I have to admit that I was also less than enthralled with Big Bang Theory, but it was probably was just the mood I was in that night (just wasn't feeling humorous, I guess). ;) Dave loved it, however, so I will undoubtedly be seeing more of it. :)

I must have been in the mood to laugh when I watched it last week, Beth. Dakota and I just howled, and I had fully expected to hate it. You just never know how something is going to strike you.

Jasper
10-01-2007, 10:46 AM
I have not seen a lot of the new shows yet so I can't say much but I do have one each in the “don’t like it/ like it” categories. In the “don’t like it” category I would put Back to You. Then in the “like it” category I would put Torchwood.

I really am like several of you about Back to You in that I don’t necessarily hate it but I just haven’t found anything in it that really grabbed me. On the other hand I think Torchwood was really clever and has potential to be a really great show. If you can’t find Torchwood on your television listings that is because it is on the BBCA network which many people don’t pay that much attention

TheDuckRocks
10-01-2007, 12:24 PM
I didn't like Hot Shots, will not be watching it again.
Two that I'm going to be watching again as they might be OK are Cane and Dirty Sexy Money.
The one I was happy with was Private Practice, but I liked it when it was part of that odd half and half show with GA last year.
There was some other new show that I saw this week, but I can't remember what it was. Needless to say I guess I didn't think to much of it.

tinkerbell04
10-01-2007, 01:01 PM
I am with some of you....I wanted to like Private Practice, but I thought it was just ok.
I didn't like K-Ville or Big Shots. TiVo'd Cane but haven't had a chance to watch it yet, had to catch up on all my old favorites:). I did like Dirty Sexy Money.

mac badger
10-02-2007, 02:06 AM
i didn't like bionic woman. i like sci fi shows so i had high hopes, but found the premiere disappointing. i'll give it another episode or 2 to see if it gets better, but i expect i'll be checking out on this one

AdventurerKim
10-05-2007, 03:20 PM
I too am disappointed in Back to You. The concept is good, but the writing just isn't as funny as it could be. It's like that show a few years back with John Laroquette and Christine Baranski--great comedic actors but bad writing on the show (whose name I can't remember). I'm a little disappointed in John L's role on Boston Legal so far. If he was playing Dan Fielding from Night Court, he'd fit right in. I'm still loving Boston Legal though.

BriarRose0708
10-05-2007, 04:07 PM
I didn't have high hopes for Private Practice either, but it's tolerable. I really miss Addison on Grey's. It's not the same without her and Burke. I wish they hadn't recast Naomi (as much as I love Audra MacDonald- maybe she can sing on the show?) as I miss seeing Merrin Dungey on TV. I hated Big Shots, but only watched it for Michael Vartan (anyone seeing an ALIAS pattern here?).

I missed Pushing Daisies but will catch the repeat tonight.

Disney Babe
10-06-2007, 07:37 PM
I thought that Cavemen was disappointing. I liked the website better!