PDA

View Full Version : Post Vacation Question #2

KAT1811
09-30-2007, 10:17 PM
I love the Carousel of Progess like most of you but am interested to know whether or not you think the last scene needs some updating or not.

mjaclyn
09-30-2007, 10:31 PM
I absolutely LOVE the Carousel of Progress. I think every scene should be kept the way it is except for the final scene. It's really no longer futuristic or even in the present. The virtual reality game looks like something I played on Coleco Vision...it could be better.

Polynesian Dweller
09-30-2007, 11:30 PM
No question, update the game in the final sequence. That isn't even today's standard much less futuristic.

At one point the game was shown on a wide screen TV and then they went backwards to a standard definition TV. Odd choice. At least go back to wide screen with bettwer graphics.

LoriMistress
10-01-2007, 01:31 AM
I enjoy this attraction. But the ride does need to be updated every few years.

jrpersinger
10-01-2007, 11:41 AM
YES! If anything, atleast update the clothes!

Figgyluv03
10-01-2007, 12:24 PM
I like it the way it is and would like them to leave it, although it is due for an update.

JohnHMCWYG
10-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Ideally, I'd like to see it updated every few years, but I read a saying somewhere. It says something like "the problem with the future is that it keeps turning into the present".

Who knows what could happen if it gets updated again?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Scar
10-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Personally, I would like to see the final scene backdated to the original.

MickeyandTink
10-02-2007, 07:56 PM

:exactly:

I hadn't been on COP in 15 years (at DL) and was looking forward to it this time precisely because of the last scene. I was so disappointed in the "update", it really lessened the ride for me. :sad: I don't think I'll ride it again until they either change it back, or at the very least put some real updates. Most of the stuff on it now combines unrealized technology with 10 year old stuff.

GrmGrninGost
10-02-2007, 08:05 PM
There will come a day when it should be updated. I don't think that day has come yet! Leave it alone! For now. :mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
10-02-2007, 08:39 PM
There will come a day when it should be updated. I don't think that day has come yet! Leave it alone! For now. :mickey:

Ditto.:thumbsup:

KAT1811
10-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Personally I miss the "furturesque" atmosphere of what the final scene used to portray.

Marker
10-09-2007, 10:01 AM
If the goal was to keep the final scene "futuristic" it would require constant updating. I don't think we could ever realistically expect that.

And actually I think the final scene actually being almost more of a contemporary depiction, for me anyway, plays pretty well, following the progress from past eras up to the present. Perhaps it could be a bit more "cutting edge" but overall I think plays pretty well, and I believe follows the original format.

My only concern with updating the final scene is that the gap between it and the previous scene continues to grow wider and wider. When developed, the eras depicted were 1900's, 1920's, 1940's and 1960's (then current), with a 2 decade span between scenes. But now, jumping from the 40's to the 2000's, is a 60 year jump, that's almost he span of the entire show in it's original form.

Dreaming out loud.... wouldn't it be cool, if instead of just updating the final scene, they could ADD scenes to keep the 2 decade span consistent. If they had the ability, adding in a 1960's scene and 1980's scene, before the current final "current day" scene would be amazing, and keep the timeline more consistent.

JohnHMCWYG
10-09-2007, 12:20 PM
An 80s scene would be interesting, basically because I'm a hardcore 80s fan. If they ever decide to retool the COP, I'd recommend putting it in there. Besides, it would be interesting to hear a New Wave take on "A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

candaceB
10-09-2007, 12:49 PM
YES! If anything, atleast update the clothes!

I deffintly agree about the clothes, but just the clothes. I think you'd be surprised by what a wardrobe update can do. If you change anything else it could mess with the Disney magic. COP is too much of a classic.

bleukarma
10-09-2007, 12:55 PM
I LOVE CoP but I think the final scene should be updated. :mickey:

Marker
10-09-2007, 01:17 PM
it would be interesting to hear a New Wave take on "A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow".

Interesting idea, have each scene do the song in the musical style of that era, I like that.

kbean
10-11-2007, 10:19 AM
I totally agree with updating the last scene. It least throw a flat screen on the wall. All though, I thought they kids were kicking some killer moon boots if you look.

Imagineer1981
10-11-2007, 04:56 PM
the last scene is kinda like watching Back to the Future 2 where he goes to the future and his future home...its so outdated now...fax machines that say YOU'RE FIRED!!! in the bathroom

mdearmas
10-11-2007, 05:02 PM
My DW and I love the Carousel of Progress! But I do agree it needs some updated. every good disney ride needs some updating at some point! It would only make it better!

:goofy:

IloveDisney71
10-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Dreaming out loud.... wouldn't it be cool, if instead of just updating the final scene, they could ADD scenes to keep the 2 decade span consistent. If they had the ability, adding in a 1960's scene and 1980's scene, before the current final "current day" scene would be amazing, and keep the timeline more consistent.

I was thinking that same thing!!!!!! I love the COP. It always amazes me that my teenagers always make sure we see it! It spans the generations. :mickey:

dumbo ears
10-11-2007, 10:44 PM
I think that the ride is perfect the way it is.

Sweezy
10-11-2007, 10:46 PM
ive been a proponent of updating that final scene for years...either way though its a classic ride and will always be one of my favorites.

goofysbabe
10-12-2007, 08:15 AM
:sing:Come on sign it with me - It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow :sing:We LOVE this attraction. I voted to leave the end the same! I just love looking at how times have changed and how they predicted the way things would be and what has actually came to be. :sing:It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow:sing:

MCFantasia
10-12-2007, 02:45 PM
I vote leave it the same because to me it helps hold the story. I don't see the final scene as the present; I see the final scene as the 90s. As such, if left alone, the final scene will be a comical look back at "the best days of our lives"... just like the rest of the show.

:twocents:

EPCOT84
10-13-2007, 02:40 AM

:exactly:

Yes, update the final scene but not to the future. Since the present and future keep changing, return the end scene to the original 'future', which I believe someone said is 1960. It should be as campy as the other scenes.:stitch2:

CandleontheWater
10-13-2007, 09:08 AM
I think backdating it to the original "future" is an interesting idea. I do agree however, that something needs to be done. We all love it because of the memories, but personally I cringe when in the last scene they talk about "car phones" and "laser discs" like they are some cutting edge new invention. I totally agree that keeping up with the future is challenging, much like we've seen in Future World in Epcot, but I think that minor renevations to costumes, props and storyline every ten years or so can keep it fresh.

wjdoc
10-15-2007, 01:49 PM
I love this ride and this will never happen but....... Maybe they should revert it back to the original version and move it to the smithsonian (it really needs to be thought of as a historic treasure). Then replace the original version with a new (easier to upgrade) version but still based on the original ideas by walt (stationary stage with rotating seats, anamatronics, etc.). But in theory, things are easier said than done...

JerseyDad
10-15-2007, 02:36 PM
....guess that you could argue / discuss this from both sides....and have valid reasons for your decision to update...or leave it be.

....but from a person (me) that thinks "change is bad"....I like it just the way it is, since I also rode it at the 1964/1965 Worlds Fair in NYC. I know that the last scene is somewhat "dated", but I also know that it's fun to actually have think about the visions of the future that Walt Disney had...and which ones came to pass....which ones didn't...and how we (mankind) actually have surpassed his wildest dreams by leaps and bounds in many of the technologies that are shown.

(and...of course...I cannot get the song outta' my head now!!)

Taja
10-15-2007, 05:59 PM
My BFF and I were singing the theme to CoP on the phone to each other when planning our August 2003 WDW visit. We were crushed when it was closed the entire time!

It's been open periodically each visit since then. I first saw it at the NY World's Fair, then visited it faithfully at Disneyland, and followed it to WDW in 1981.

That final scene really does need something. Be it backdating--consistent with the original vision--or updating every three years or so to keep pace with current technology.

DisneyFan1979
10-17-2007, 01:12 PM
This ride is one of my absolute favorites.

I would like to see the final scene either returned to its original 1960's vision OR they should keep the final scene as is and somehow make it clear that the ride is a view of progress through the 20th century, ending with a family on the cusp of the millenium.

septembergirl
10-18-2007, 03:38 PM
I love COP. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. It reminds me of a more innocent era. I think of it more as a museum exhibit...

Mandalorian30
10-18-2007, 05:19 PM
CoP remains to be one of my absolute favorites. I have to see it every time I vist WDW, and I constantly find myself singing the theme song all times of the year! It's a classic, and I adore it!

So, this is a tough question for me. I normally don't like change on classics. Sometimes, I accpet it better than others. In this case, I would love to see the original ending, as I have never seen it before. I think it would be interesting to revert back to it. however, I also do not disagree with the idea of updating it to better suit our future.

So, I can see how the arguments are valid from both sides on this one.