PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty

Vintage Disney
09-30-2007, 06:39 PM
I feel silly posting this BUT I have to show up for Jury selection tomorrow morning and I am a bit freaked out about it. Have any of you been called for Jury selection or actually served on a Jury? What was it like? If I tell them that I absolutely honestly don't want to be on a jury will they still make me serve?

Speedy1998
09-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Bring a book, if it is anything like what we put up with in Houston it will be long and boring.

No one wants to serve on a jury so there is no chance of them letting you leave if you tell them that.

Vintage Disney
09-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks for answering Speedy1998. I wasn't sure if they would let me bring in a book -- I will definately bring something to pass the time.

kakn7294
09-30-2007, 07:27 PM
DH has served on jury duty several times - most recently in July. He has also served on 1 trial - a medical malpractice case. Jury duty is boring - definately take that book. You will probably have to leave your cell phone behind - locally we cannot take a cell phone in the jury room. For the trial, he said it generally kept his interest since there was something to actually concentrate on. They will let you out of jury duty for a number of reasons but not wanting to serve is not one of them. Just be as honest as you can in your answers and make the best of whatever happens.

Katlyn
09-30-2007, 07:37 PM
We can not even take a book or anything into jury selection. Makes for a very boring day.

Lessie
09-30-2007, 07:43 PM
Don’t worry, its really no big deal…. And if you actually get picked for a jury it can be really interesting and fun!

It’s different everywhere, but generally, a large pool of potential jurors are selected for jury duty. Everyone shows up and is seated in the courtroom or other large room. The clerk will take attendance and usually gives people with important scheduling conflicts a chance to explain why they need to be excused from service at that time. Once that is done, smaller groups are called up and the attorneys are given a chance to get a little information about their potential jurors. You may be asked to stand, state your name, spouses name, occupation, etc. The attorney’s know what kind of people they want on the jury, so they will use these demographics to decide who they want to strike from the pool and who they want to accept. They may also ask specific questions relating to the nature of the case and whether or not you feel you can be fair and impartial when judging on that issue. They will go through this process, or something similar, until they have a jury for each case on the schedule. And, of course, you may or may not get selected.

Other than the few moments when you may need to give information about yourself, you will be doing A LOT of sitting around. Definitely bring a book or something else to keep you busy. It shouldn’t be a problem at all, as long as you are quiet and somewhat paying attention. It depends on the judge though, but he or she will certainly let the crowd know if they want your undivided attention.

Vintage Disney
09-30-2007, 08:58 PM
Thanks everyone for listening to me whine. :blush: I feel a bit better after reading your responses.

drummerboy
09-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Although I'm attorney, I've served on two juries, and would have been on a third if I hadn't known one of the parties well enough not to be unbiased. DW just got done Federal jury duty a couple of weeks ago, and my partner once served as a Federal grand jury foreman.

Serving on a jury is one of the privileges we have in this country, so don't be afraid of the experience. If you actually get on one, the experience can be interesting.

2Epcot
10-01-2007, 03:14 AM
I served on a jury many years ago, and was dismissed as an alternate juror last year during selection process. The process is long and boring. When I did serve I found it very interesting, but I can't say jury duty is anything I look forward to doing. For me personally anything longer then a week would be too much for me since my work does not compensate me for jury duty.

BronxTigger
10-01-2007, 05:37 AM
I feel silly posting this BUT I have to show up for Jury selection tomorrow morning and I am a bit freaked out about it. Have any of you been called for Jury selection or actually served on a Jury? What was it like? If I tell them that I absolutely honestly don't want to be on a jury will they still make me serve?

I got a "Subpoena for Grand Jury" in the mail about 2 months ago. I was required to report to the courthouse. This was my first ever experience with Jury Duty, and I didn't know what to expect. Apparently, the Grand Jury selection process is a bit different from normal, I only had to show up for a few minutes during a specified day. I went at the end of the day and the lady asked me if I wanted to do it. I thought I had hear her wrong! I say no and she said "okay, we'll be contacting you again later." So, I'm still in the pool for later but I got out of that SIXTEEN DAY jury duty for the time being!

conorsmom2000
10-01-2007, 07:27 AM
Jury duty can be a pain, but as Ken said, it is a privilege in this country to be able to do so!

I've been called 3 times and out of those 3, I almost made it on to a jury twice. The first one was regarding a break in - the judge asked the jury if anyone had ever been the victim of a break-in or attempted break-in. I raised my hand (someone tried to break-in to our house when I was home alone, but our dog scared him off). I had to go before the judge and tell him what happened. He then asked if the suspect was caught and I said "no, they didn't catch him". The judge then asked "did you see the suspect?" and I said no, I only heard him and saw the marks on the door, which he managed to get open. So, the judge said "how do you know it was a he then?" :blush: :blush: Oops. I really had no idea if it was a he or she. Since this case involved a male, I was dismissed!

The second time was a malpractice for a dentist. As many know, I am a completely phobic of the dentist and I guess it must have shown on my face because this time I was suddenly called into chambers by the judge and the two lawyers!! The judge asked if I was okay, and I guess I was a bit of a wreck just talking about it, because I was dismissed then too!

So, I'm either not good jury material or I get picked for the wrong cases! :D

DVC2004
10-01-2007, 11:56 AM
I was called for the first time a little over a year ago. I was nervous but it actually was interesting. Parts of the process were boring but I was selected to be on a jury. We were encouraged to bring magazines, books, even laptps to pass the time in the waiting room. However I was called out each morning to the court room for the selection process so I dind't bring my computer.

ldn324
10-01-2007, 12:10 PM
I've been called twice. Once, I had just moved to another state so I got out of it. Second, I was picked as a juror but then the case was dismissed so I kind of got out of that too.

It's not scary, just boring as others have stated. Unless you get picked right away, then it's not so bad.

A note on bringing reading materials - just don't take a newspaper or a magazine that reports news...Time, etc. Our court house where I recently was called will not allow any printed news in with potential jurors.

Oh, and don't forget to get your parking pass if you have to park in a garage. We got to park for free when I went but you had to ask for the pass - they didn't voluntarily just hand them out.

thrillme
10-01-2007, 04:41 PM
If your name gets called just tell 'em you can "spot a guilty varmit from a mile away!"

jillluvsdisney
10-01-2007, 07:33 PM
I just had to report to to the federal courthouse today, in Milwaukee, for jury duty. I brought a newspaper, a book and my IPOD. They only had one trial going. I was called in the group of 25 people to take part in the voir dire process. That's when you could not eat, drink or use your phone. It took about 2 hours to question all of us and for both sides to make their preemptive strikes and panel the jury. I was not choosen. I may be called 2 more times in the next 3 months to do this whole thing over again. I was hoping to just get picked today and get it all done with. Yes, it's a pain but it's a bedrock of our country.

RenDuran
10-01-2007, 08:23 PM
If your name gets called just tell 'em you can "spot a guilty varmit from a mile away!"

That's what I was thinking....just scream, "They're all guilty!"

Personally I feel it's our duty to report to jury duty. Too many people try to get out of it for the silliest reasons. Of course, the last time I was called I was delivering my son! That was an easy-out!

mrsgaribaldi
10-02-2007, 08:51 AM
I've been called twice. The first time I sat around all day and never even saw the inside of a courtroom. The second time was this July. I had to call the Friday before and they told me to report on Monday morning. This time I did go in a courtroom and we were questioned by the judge and the lawyers. It was for a murder case. Ultimately I was not chosen and I didn't have to come back for another day. The trial I would have been on lasted 2 weeks and the man was found guilty. Beats going to work though ;)

Wayne
10-02-2007, 09:53 PM

The circuit court where I once served jury duty had a judge that told us that anyone who thought that they would try something like this had better bring their toothbrush because they would be a guest of the county overnight for contempt of court.