PDA

View Full Version : Camping with two dogs!

minineen
09-30-2007, 01:09 PM
I am looking for anyone who has camped with dogs to please tell me exactly how you worked walks, feeding, etc., into your park touring.

We would probably leave our dogs in the kennel during the day and have them sleep with us at night. I guess my main question is: when did you return to your site for the night when you had your dogs with you? Did you stay out for fireworks etc...? (Oh yes, we would be going in the summer so it would be later nights.)

I am just trying to figure out what would be best for us (and our dogs) -- should we travel with our dogs or beg someone in our family to watch them while we are gone? :confused:

ibrowse17
09-30-2007, 01:52 PM
FW has a few loops set aside for people traveling with pets. Even with in these loops, pets are only allowed to be "walked" in specific areas. I think there is also a fee added for pet owners. You can use the kennels, but I have heard that they may be closed in the near future. Other than that I am not sure, as we have never traveled with pets.

FloridaTeacher
09-30-2007, 08:08 PM
We ALWAYS camp with our two dogs. We have a Bassett Hound and a Yorkshire Terrier. We camp in our motorhome, so our dogs stay in the motorhome while we are gone. :thumbsup: They would not be happy in a kennel.

Our days go something like this. We get up each morning and walk the dogs. Then we go to a park until early afternoon. We come back to the m/h and walk the dogs and relax (and have some doggie time). We go back to a park early evening and stay out as late as we feel like (for us that's around 9:00 or so). We come back, walk the dogs and call it a night.

This works great for us. Our dogs stay in the motorhome in familiar surroundings and with their toys and treats. They love it. At home, if we even walk out to our motorhome, they are at our feet having a fit to get in. :D They seem to have this 6th sense about when we are going camping - the morning we leave they start whining and take every step we do until they get in the m/h. They are totally spoiled rotten!:dog::dog:

minineen
09-30-2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks!
I wish we could leave them in the camper. They would definitely be much happier!! I don't think we can since it is a hybrid, so it has tent ends.

Does anyone know if the hybrids are considered to be the same as pop-ups? We do have ac, and they would most likely not bark throughout the day. They usually don't. :angel::angel:

Tink65
10-02-2007, 08:36 PM
My family will be going camping at Disney for the first time, for Christmas.:cloud9: We will be camping with 4 dogs..:thedolls::angel::angel::angel: We will walk in the morning.. then come back around lunch and walk them.. then come back at night and walk them. We will hope that this works and if not, then we will have to clean up after them.:goodbad:

CJDDS
10-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Hybrids are considered the same as pop ups as far as leaving your pet.

Don't know where the rumor came from about the kennels closing soon - I use them every year and have never heard that and they are always very busy. Perhaps ibrowse17 can elaborate.

ibrowse17
10-04-2007, 02:27 PM
I forget the website that I saw that on, but I did read something about the possible closing of FW kennels to cut costs. It went on to say that if they did close, FW would expand the number of pet loops. I will try to find the site and pass it on.

Found it and sent you a PM