PDA

View Full Version : American Airlines?

angedeaile
09-29-2007, 09:11 AM
I just booked our flight and got a pretty decent deal, but now I am hesitant. Our flight is through an airline I am not familiar with, American Airlines.

I went through Orbitz and was just so excited to see a cheap fare that I didn't pay attention to the airline until after I made the purchase. Stupid, I know.

So, for those that have used American Airlines, what did you think? Any gripes or praises?

Keep in mind, I usually fly with Northwest. I am use to flights being canceled, delayed and subpar service.

Overall, I just want to make sure AA isn't worse than NWA in comparision.

AuntDJ
09-29-2007, 09:44 AM
I have flown American my last three trips; I have no complaints about the trips...

One thing I will put out here though...they no longer offer peanuts or pretzels during there service...they off chips, cookies, candy and such for purchase..3-4 bucks of course..the chips are lays and are in a cylinder(like pringles) the cookies are very big...but still you have to pay...

So on the trip home I bought snacks with our left over credits and in the gift shops so we didn't have to pay sooo much on the plane.

They still serve drinks just not snacks..

have fun!
DJ

karenrarintogo
09-29-2007, 11:49 AM
American Airlines will be fine, I think.
I'd rather fly American than Northwest any day, as it sounds like we have shared similar unpleasant experiences on Northwest.
We've also flown United, and we found that United has shaped up considerably of late and is back in our good graces.
I will have to check out the Jan. rates on AA from Michigan. :mickey:

DisneyDudet
09-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Since AA is based out of Dallas, its hard NOT to fly them around here. We have flown them almost every time to MCO since Disney cut its partnership with Delta, and Delta cut back flights out of DFW. We are generally pleased with them. Other than changing gates on us many times in DFW and losing luggage, they are ok. The are late more often than not, but nothing major, more like 20 min here and there, if there is not a weather problem.

I suggest bringing your own food, like stated above, you need to pay for them now. You can use your head phones to listen to music or watch movies.

I don't think you need to worry with AA. They pretty much do a good job. In Jan, when our flight day was threatened with an ice storm, we decided to leave a day early, and they changed our flights for all 5 of us for the evening before for no charge. We were GRATEFUL for that. So, they are still good to us.

They just have the same problems as any other airline.

teambricker04
09-29-2007, 01:57 PM
AA is the biggest airline around... I can't imagine you would have any issues that would be any worse than NWA. They are one of the "heritage" airlines... one of the oldest around. It won't be like you are flying some random small carrier that has only been around for a year. I think delays, gate changes, and lost luggage are pretty common these days.

faline
09-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Our last trip on American was to Hawaii. We had no problems with American. I would certainly fly them again!

jray21
09-30-2007, 03:09 AM
American is still an Airline. No airline is great but I do like American better than most. One of the best things is that they have power ports on most planes. I fly United a lot and they only have power ports in business and first class. It is kind of a chore to find out what seats have it. You have to find out what type of aircraft your flying in and look on the website for the aircraft maps and find which seats have them. Then you log in and pick your seat and hope they still have power port seats available. Most of the planes on American use the cigarette style adapter.

ryca1dreams
09-30-2007, 10:38 AM
I fly AA 2-3 times a year. I've never had a problem with them (that wasn't my fault). I'm pretty familiar with their website and you can get a seat of choice fairly easy by using your locator number (if your flight isn't too soon). Otherwise, they most likely have stuck you in the back.

AirlineGuy07
09-30-2007, 09:40 PM
American is fine.....Being in the airline industry every airline has its good days and bad days.