PDA

View Full Version : 14 hour drive with 4 year olds. Possibility?

luvourtwo
09-28-2007, 09:09 PM
We are going to Disney World in December for our twins 4th birthday. The drive is 14 hours. Airline tickets will cost about $1200 (holiday weekend for return trip). Since we are splurging on the Polynesian for Monorail convenience sake, We plan to drive. I am considering driving through the night while they "hopefully" sleep. Even braking up the trip into two days would require 7+ waking hours in the car. Husband and I can share driving time.

Has anyone made such a long trip with small children? Mine do fine on 2-4 hour car trips, but I just don't know what I am getting myself into with this one.

DisnIse
09-28-2007, 09:26 PM
TOTALLY do-able. We've made the trip with our four year old twins (I think) three times, with the fourth being this coming Thanksgiving. Ours is a 18 hour drive (plus stops), and we break it up like this:
Leave home mid-afternoon. Dinner break at first gas stop, go to a McDonalds playland and let the kids run wild.
Second gas stop / potty, whichever comes first.
Drive as late as possible. If we make it past midnight, it's a bonus. If not, we're half way done, approximately. We bought Sirius satelitte, and it has added a lot more stimulation than CDs, books, or talking. The Howard Stern Roast for Artie gave us about 200miles from laughing. But I digress.
Wake up as early as possible. Grab donuts and hit the road. Stop and eat whenever you need gas in the car. There by dinner.

DVD players are a must. We also pack every kid's backpack with "their" toys and books and stuff, but we make them trade off periodically to make things more interesting.

Totally do-able.

SamG
09-28-2007, 09:37 PM
We did it back in June with 8yo, 3yo, and 15 month old. We left after school at about 3pm, planned to get about 1/2 way, went until midnight, and only had 3 hours left (stopped in Valdosta)!!! If we would have left in the morning, we probably would have made it in one day (actually considered it for a little bit anyway).

8yo & 3yo had their own DVD players, and that kept them entertained that first day. The rest of the trip (what should have taken 3 hours took about 4 1/2), wasn't quite as smooth.

The trip back home wasn't quite as smooth either... rain, construction, and a 3yo small bladder turned that trip into about a 15 hour jaunt.

It can be done.

TexasPrincessAurora
09-28-2007, 09:37 PM
We've made 4 trips to WDW from Texas with DS, the first being when he was 2 and the others at 3 and 3 1/2. He's also been from Texas to CA (and DL) when he was about to turn 3. We always break the trip up with stops along with the way. Usually the most we drive in a day is 8 hours...we've done 10 hour days, but we like to do maybe 6-8. We'll stop for the night, find some active thing for him to do to burn energy and then continue on the next day. He's always been a great traveler. Now we have DVD's for him to watch. That helps a lot. We take some toys and some doodle pads and coloring books...and lots of snacks and treats. I think if you can drive not only do you save money but there are so many neat things to see and do along the way.

Mickey'sGirl
09-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Our drive is a 24 hour one -- and we usually do about 16 hours one day, and 8 the next. WE have done this drive with our youngest at age 6 months, 29 months and 35 months. WE make stops when required and have plenty of DVDs on hand -- but he travels exceptionally well (as does his 9 year old brother). WE also make sure to have snacks and a ball easily at hand in the car -- we kick the ball around at any stops we make. Good luck and have fun!!!

MsMin
09-28-2007, 10:23 PM
I made a 12 hr trip with 3 w/i a 5 yr range without DVD's. It can be done. Don't forget to change activities and make travel games. Set boundaries early. With 3 we needed seat assignments, brought plenty of snacks and not a lot of fluids so we didn't have to stop every 30 min.:blush: Fresh fruit in a little cooler worked well.
WE sang a lot and looked for cows and certain colored cars, license plates when they got older. I think it's great to drive. Not necessarily fun when you are doing it but you can do it :thumbsup:

FriendsofMickey
09-28-2007, 11:37 PM
Definatley do-able. :)

We have done a 16+ hour drive with almost 3 year old twins, then again last year when they were a few months away from 4 year old, and this year we will be doing it again for their 5th Birthday. :mickey:

We take two days to drive it. When they were 18 months we did a similar drive all night once and it just was misserable when we got home. It is no fun to take care of children when you can barely keep your eyes open. I say break it up and give yourself time.

Biggest thing is to keep them busy and happy.

Suggestions would be:
DVD if possible
books (we got some with CDs also)
toys (dh says 'quiet' toys :) ) We bought some small toys and packed them away. Whenever they got a little restless we would pull out a new toy.
I also think if you still have a potty chair around bring it with you. It may come in handy for those emergencies they are bound to have.
Good Luck!
And Happy Birthday (early) to the little ones! :)

ETA: My girls were almost 3 for their first trip. I wanted to take them on a trip that would be great fun and they would forget, so they could enjoy it for the 'first time' twice. NO SUCH LUCK! They remember more details of it than I do.

another tink
09-29-2007, 09:32 AM
Another little trick is to wrap up dollar store gifts and pull one out when they are getting restless.

We are going next summer again, but I don't think it will work next time. Dollar store gifts won't do . :( they are getting too old.

luvourtwo
10-02-2007, 04:18 PM
We have a DVD player in our vehicle...thank goodness. It is wonderful! I really like the dollar gift idea.

I had a co-worker that could fold bills in the shape of rings. He gave his children 5 rings each to wear in the car, each made from a $10bill. If a child acted up or caused a fight, he/she had to give a ring to his/her sibling. The rings they had in their possession upon arrival at Disney World could be spent on souvenirs. I love this idea, but feel that my kids are too young to comprehend it. It would work great for older kids.

I really had planned on the all night drive, but hadn't thought about how I would feel the next day when I am tired, and the kids are not. Splitting the ride up may be best.

Thanks for everyones ideas and input!

Jasper
10-02-2007, 04:37 PM
At that time of year the days are very short and the nights very long. Thus if you were to leave at about 6 in the evening it wouldn't be long before it gets dark. Once it gets dark and the kids are riding along it isn't unusual for them to nod off and stay that way for most of the night. We have done this many times in the past with about the same length of trip and it worked great. You can also consider giving the kids a snack at supper time, getting a few hours drive in, stop for a late supper and then the kids are sure to go to sleep for the night!

kakn7294
10-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Our drive is 16 hrs if you DON'T count the stops. We've done it several times now - the last time, our girls were 10 and 5. Before that, they were 8 and 3. They handled it just fine. Our favorite plan is to leave about 5p and have a McDonald's dinner then drive straight on through to WDW, stopping for potty breaks as necessary and having a sit-down breakfast in the morning. We arrived last time at 12 noon exactly. Fortunately, our room was ready so we grabbed lunch then a nap and shower to head off to MK for the evening. Good luck to you and have a great trip!

Kenny1113
10-02-2007, 08:50 PM
We did a 14 hr drive to Tenn when my youngest was turning 1 and my oldest was three. We did it during the day and broke it up into 2 days. The kids did MUCH better than I had anticipated. Our new DVD player bit the dust about 3 hours into trip, we got by on read along CDs, music CDs, leapfrog games, coloring books, snacks etc. We are plannng on going to NC this year end of DEC - begining of Jan, we nixed flying for the same reason. We are considering driving at night while kids are sleeping and driving straight through. Friends of ours have done it and swear by it !

kakn7294
10-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Our new DVD player bit the dust about 3 hours into trip, we got by on read along CDs, music CDs, leapfrog games, coloring books, snacks etc.
Same thing with the DVD player happened to my parents. It was new and still under warranty - fortunately, my mom had the receipt still in her wallet and they stopped along the way and took it back (bought at Circuit City) with no problems whatsoever. From that experience, I learned to take the receipts for items we take that are still under warranty. You just never know!

wedway fan
10-02-2007, 09:15 PM
ditto on the "totally doable"...as many have said, scheduling determines on your comfort level but the more driving you can do while they sleep, the better.

having plenty of entertainment options is key. 4 year olds are old enough to play some car games (license plate alphabet game, i spy, etc). two big thumbs up for the previously recommended dollar store treats- bring a new one out every 100 miles or so (don't forget to save some for the way back!)

can't recommend books-on-tape enough...the kids seem to get totally immersed in a story, and they're a nice (often quiet) break from DVD's.

tyandskyesmom
10-03-2007, 11:37 AM
We are going to Disney World in December for our twins 4th birthday. The drive is 14 hours. Airline tickets will cost about $1200 (holiday weekend for return trip). Since we are splurging on the Polynesian for Monorail convenience sake, We plan to drive. I am considering driving through the night while they "hopefully" sleep. Even braking up the trip into two days would require 7+ waking hours in the car. Husband and I can share driving time.

Has anyone made such a long trip with small children? Mine do fine on 2-4 hour car trips, but I just don't know what I am getting myself into with this one.

Doable...yes.
Just food for though though...

We have driven (when there was only one kid) and flown...collectively, we think we will never drive again.

You did not say where you are coming from or on what airline that $1200 fare would be but for us, to drive down and back we would spend at least $600.00 in gas at the prices it is now. Plus, if you do stop for the night once down and once back you're probably talking at least $100.00 and that is for a shabby room in a motel somewhere (and I know I would probably be at somewhere that cost me a bit more than that). Than there is the tires factor. After all that driving, even if you do stop for the night are you going to be able to be awake and enjoy yourself that day on arrival? For us, we were so tired and a Disney vacation is tiring enough without starting off that way. So essentially, would driving save money...probably a little but is it worth it in the long run? It isn't for us. And the ride down is not too bad but that drive home for us was the worst. Your vacation is basically over, you're tired, and it seems to be twice as long as it is down.

So think about how much money it will actually cost in gas and hotel to drive down and compare. It may not be as muich of a difference as you think. Plus, I'd rather have those extra driving days in Disney than on the road.

I don't mean to be negative and a lot of people have done the drive and love it but if the reason for driving is monetary, it may not actually be as worth the drive and it sounds. Just wanted to give another view.

90 more days!!!!

snowflakegirl
10-04-2007, 09:50 AM
I don't have any personal experience with it from the parent's point of view ... But, the first time that I went to Disney I was 7 years old and my sister was about 18 months. We drove from New Hampshire straight through to our hotel in Kissimmee without stopping for more than bathroom/leg stretch breaks and one out of the car meal. We left home around 6pm, stopped for dinner and then my parents drove through the night while we slept. We got to our hotel around 6:30 or so the following evening, had dinner, got a good night's sleep and then hit the parks the next day. The next time we went I was 9 and my sister was 3, then 11 and 5. The next two times because of my mother's work schedule we had to leave in the morning, so we left when she got out of work at 7am, my dad drove while she slept, then they switched off, we got to the hotel at 8 or 9 the next morning and had a day of recovery before hitting the parks. I don't remember there being any major difficulties. And my parents kept doing it again, so it couldn't have been too bad. I know they packed us each a bag of our own things to play with and then kept a bag of things in front with them that they could add to our things as the trip went on and our fascination with our things wore off. I also think my mother packed a book and read to us off and on throughout the trip ... That helped because both my sister and I loved to be read to. I definitely think the leaving in the evening and driving through the night while we slept was probably the easiest trip for them.

I think it is definitely doable. Whatever you end up doing, enjoy your trip! And happy (early) birthday to the twins.

irish1967
10-04-2007, 11:30 AM
We do something different (our drive is 21 hours depending on stops)

We leave really early in the morning (4:30 or so). The boys sleep in their clothes, we pull them out of bed, have them go to the bathroom and off we go. They go back to sleep quickly and usually sleep around 3 hours.

Stop at McD's or BK for breakfast between 7:30 and 8:00 - go inside to order and take bathroom break but food is to go and we eat it in the car.

Stop for gas around 10:30 - bathroom break.

Stop for lunch around 12:30 - top off gas tank, bathroom break.

Stop for gas around 3:00 - bathroom break

Stop for dinner around 6:00 - top off gas, bathroom break.

Either lunch or dinner is "sit down" (usually Steak n Shake) and the other is fast food, eaten inside.

We tell the boys that they have to "try to go" anytime we stop for gas/food. That usually takes care of the needs and we don't often have unexpected stops.

DVD player and hand-held games are a must - you can get a lot of use out of Disney movies! (note, if you only have one DVD player - you definitely want to determine how movies are going to be chosen ahead of time!)

We stop for the night around 9:00 and try to stop at a hotel with an indoor pool - they usually close around 10:00 and that gives the boys something fun to look forward to (although don't hype it up too much because sometimes the pool is closed for various reasons!)

The second day is get up around 7:00 (eat the "free" continental breakfast) and head out as soon as we are ready!

With a 14 hour drive (depending on time zones) you could be at the Poly in time for a late dinner!

It probably would be worth your while to calculate the "cost" of driving - we come out ahead because we go on to Sarasota for a week after our three nights at WDW and the cost of renting a car is definitely a factor. Also, the type of vehicle you drive and the mileage you get is definitely a factor! Driving is not inexpensive by any means!

But, the destination is worth it - no matter how you get there!:mickey:

#1donaldfan
10-04-2007, 01:07 PM
I just came straight to the reply....so if I re-say something, sorry......we do 12 hours with 3 small ones......that's why we invented CD players and placed them in cars.......ours do really well......we try to leave around 3/4 am and travel on.....they normally wake up when my first cup of coffee has to come out, then back to sleep for awhile......they watch some movies and in and out of sleep the rest of the time....you should be fine.....

bkfree
10-06-2007, 11:38 PM
Our kids are great travelers and made the long drive many times. THEN, last trip we flew and boy did that change our mind about driving. It was so much easier and less stressful to fly. We realize how much vacation time we had been wasting by driving. Dear Hubby and I also arrived much more rested and energized when we flew. And once we tallied the cost of gas both ways, mileage on our car and the overnight in the hotel and meals on the road, flying cost only a very little more than driving.
The BEST thing was that our flight left at 7am and by noon that same day we had checked in our hotel, had lunch and were on Main Street. Nothing about driving down could beat that.
My hubby and I now know that every Disney trip in the future will include flying the friendly skies. In fact, any trip anywhere that is more than 9 hours will be done by air.

kim1st
10-07-2007, 09:12 AM
I did the drive from CT to FL several times as a child to visit my grandparents. The trips I enjoyed the most were the ones where we stopped at a motel - especially if there was a pool.

There was certainly much more room for adventure on the drive...like finding an ER for my mom somewhere in NC because she had a tooth abscess, driving through GA in SNOW one Christmas, making the trip with two large dogs (a black lab & a shepherd/collie mix) and enduring the ride home full of the Chicken Pox I had broken out with while we were down there...

Mind you - it was the '80s, and we had a station wagon, so my brother and I were able to stretch out and sleep in the "back-back"...

You're making me kind of nostalgic - if it weren't for our work schedules and the fact that we'd have to take more vacation time, I'd almost be tempted to try and talk DH into driving down!

:car:

tinklover
10-07-2007, 09:40 AM
your trip is doable.:thumbsup: we drive down every year to visit my mom she is aprrox. 16 hours away.:car: DBF and I have a 3 yr old DD:princess: and a 4 yr old DD:princess:. we start late in the afternoon and we have a double screen portable DVD player ( BIG HELP). we stop for dinner and I then drive thru the night. we stop at south of the border to change drivers and get gas. the girls sleep :sleepin:thru the night in the vehicle and we also bring books for daylight. we also stop to stretch and let the DD's out to stretch their legs as well. With enough planning and car activities you should have a great trip. We wish you the best of luck and hope you have a magical experience.:magic: I hope the twins have a great birthday as well.:birthday:. I am also a December Baby and i have always wated to go to disney for my birthdayBUt the Db's job does not allow vacation time during the christmas season. I really hate retail now LOL.

Speedy1998
10-07-2007, 10:28 AM
I don't mean to be negative and a lot of people have done the drive and love it but if the reason for driving is monetary, it may not actually be as worth the drive and it sounds. Just wanted to give another view.

90 more days!!!!

The Drive cost me $400 to $500 in gas and $100 for the room total $600. To fly cost me $500 per ticket * 4 tickets total of $2000.00. If you add into it that I can bring breakfast food from home to eat at Disney, driving is way cheaper.

vamaggie
10-07-2007, 11:47 AM
can't recommend books-on-tape enough...the kids seem to get totally immersed in a story, and they're a nice (often quiet) break from DVD's.

Another :thumbsup: for the books on tape. They also allow for some drifting off to sleep which the DVD player seems to make harder for my kids (since they have to focus on seeing the movie).

caryrae
10-07-2007, 12:30 PM
I tell ya after flying from the the Twin Cities to Egypt with a 3 year old anything is possible. We flew from Minneapolis to Amsterdam to Egypt. The longest most boring flights of my life there's only so much you can do on airplane for so many hours.

momof3+twins
10-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Four is a great age. I don't think there will be a problem at all. We have made the trip with much younger children. It is an 18 hour drive for us. So, when we take the twins for the in the Spring we are going to stop half way (exactly 9 hours). We aren't planning on driving through the night. We are going to have TVs. And we have never really stopped that much. But, I think that stopping half way and letting them swim in the pool will help survive the second day.:mickey:

luvourtwo
10-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Still can't decide on the night driving, or splitting the drive up. I'm thinking that flying is out. I realize that hotel and dining cost do bring the cost of the drive up to near that of flying, but I am also looking forward to having my own vehicle to bring everything I want to pack. We are also going to Sea World and the beach, so I'd hate to think of hauling everything around in a rental. A December trip is going to require us to pack more clothes (don't know if we will need shorts or parkas!), so with our family of four we may also need a U-Haul.

We are not planning to do anything our day of arrival, maybe go swimming and to Downtown Disney. This may allow the night time drive to work.

Thanks to everyone for your input and ideas. I am so excited and cannot wait!