PDA

View Full Version : Which deluxe to upgrade to?

maizey05
09-27-2007, 11:52 PM
Ok, so myself, DH and DS (will be 11 months then), will be going to "the world" this coming January. I really want to try a deluxe this time, since I'll be in the room more (naps etc.) We usually stay at a mod, but this time, I agreed to work a (very few) hours a week, and will pay the extra $ for an upgrade. (I'm a stay-at-home mom, and haven't worked since.) Anyway, where should we stay. I've considered WL, AK and CR. Help me decide.

BrerGnat
09-28-2007, 12:06 AM
With an 11 month old, CR, hands down, unless you will have a car, then the WL. The WL and AKL without a car can be quite a hassle getting to/from the parks with a baby. It takes a LONG time, which can be an issue. The CR monorail convenience is great with a baby, plus you can roll the stroller on/off without folding. Also, you can walk from the MK to the CR, which is a bonus.

When your kid(s) are older, the WL and AKL are better options. The rooms are smaller, so with all the baby "gear" plus a crib in the room, it will feel cramped, even with only 2 adults.

TexasPrincessAurora
09-28-2007, 12:06 AM
We went with DS when he was 2. We stayed at the Poly. It was sooooooooooo convenient to catch the monorail to both MK and Epcot and never have to get him out of his stroller.

We stayed at AKL in April and it was wonderful. DS is 3 1/2 now and he LOVES animals. We spent a lot of time on our balcony watching the animals. If that is something you and your family would enjoy then I'd definitely recommend it. Transportation isn't as easy but that's really it's only drawback.

Both the Poly and the AKL have wonderful pools. Both have great places to dine. The nice thing about the Poly is being able to watch fireworks and the Electrical Light Parade from the beach at the end of the day.

Noticed you have considering CR as well...I haven't stayed there, have only dined at several places. Their transportations options would make things easier as well, with a monorail to the MK as well as the TTC to transfer to Epcot. To me it just doesn't have the atmosphere the others do.

WL is a beautiful resort...we haven't stayed there, just dined there many times. You can boat to MK, but it would be a bus everywhere else.

We just found, with a little one, the easier the transportation the easier the trip. When you're all tired at the end of the day or heading back for a nap, having to get on the bus, fold up the stroller and one person hold it while someone else holds the little one is exhausting. I would definitely say out of the Poly, AKL, WL and CR, the Poly is the most relaxing place we've ever stayed...I'd think the WL would be a close second.

I hope your trip is magical!

MsMin
09-28-2007, 12:10 AM
It seems that the monorail resorts are so much easier to get to. My first pick is Poly but since you didn't include that I'd say CR. Out of the ones you listed I would prefer AK if not taking the monorail into consideration. When mine was that age I couldn't get him to take a nap in the room to save my soul. He slept in my arms leaving the park and on the monorail and was ready play when we got to the room (we were at the Poly). Maybe just a couple loops around the monorail will be all you need.:blush: Mine loved to sleep in moving vehicles.

Jenemmy
09-28-2007, 08:36 AM
The Contemporary is my favorite resort on property. No, the themeing isn't as elaborate as other resorts, but to me nothing screams I AM IN DISNEY WORLD more than seeing that monorail disappear into the hotel, hear the fun at Chef Mickeys and look out your balcony at that gorgeous castle and the "mountains" every night when you go to sleep and every morning when you wake up.:mickey:

We stayed there last fall with our newest toddler, and also stayed there 10 years ago when my oldest was a toddler. It really can't be beat for convenience -- especially if you stay in the tower. The rooms are recently renovated and really beautiful and comfortable and they are also larger than the rooms at WL or AK.

irish1967
09-28-2007, 09:06 AM
I would definitely go with the CR (but STRONGLY suggest you consider the Poly as well.)

The convenience of the monorail can't be beat! Getting back to the room from MK and EPCOT for a nap is so much easier with the monorail.

jwallace378
09-28-2007, 09:30 AM
I'd go with Poly, but if not, stay at WL.

MickeyMousse
09-28-2007, 09:58 AM
After traveling with a toddler to WDW in the past, convenience is extremely important! At AK and WL, transportation wise, we were subjected to longer waits for the bus/boat and longer rides to the parks. A cranky toddler can make that feel like an eternity! We have never stayed at CR, but with monorail access I would believe that it would be alot easier for you.

Good luck in choosing and enjoy your trip!:mickey:

CanadianWDWFan
09-28-2007, 10:19 AM
I will suggest the BWI or anyohter Epcot resort. You really can't beat being within walking distance to two parks! We really enjoyed the fact that we could walk back to the resort for a quick dip in the pool to cool off. Then an hour later we would head back to the park.

Septbride2002
09-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Out of the ones you are considering I would choose CR - only because of the Monorail and convenience.

However - have you considered the Beach Club? They have a great pool, and lots of stuff to do within walking distance. Also you can walk to EPCOT and back in about 10 minutes. There are boat rides to MGM and EPCOT as well. And as someone mentioned kids like to sleep in moving vehicles - In 20 minutes you could walk to the monorail at the front of Epcot hop on that and take the long ride to Magic Kingdom and back. It would be a good 20 to 30 minute power nap if you did it twice.

~Amanda

May524
09-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Another suggestion here for an Epcot resort. We loved the convenience of boat acces to both Epcot and to MGM and also being able to walk to both of them as well. Another big plus is that the Boardwal/Yacht and Beach club have many dining options around them which may be helpful with a toddler. Also, when we stayed at the boardwalk, we almost always dined at World Showcase in Epcot b/c it was just so incredibly close! :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
09-28-2007, 12:40 PM
For those suggesting an Epcot resort, your points are very valid, BUT with an 11 MONTH old baby, the "walk" to the two parks would be more of an inconvenience. Some babies don't sleep in strollers and that walk from the parks can take in excess of 20 minutes. When you have a tired, screaming, writhing, cranky baby on your hands, a 20 minute "stroll" back to the hotel is like walking through he** My oldest son (3) did not begin to take naps in his stroller until he was about 2 1/2. Prior to that, he would ONLY sleep in a crib at home, so when he got tired, we had to be "outta there" wherever we were and get him home to nap.

Babies at that age, with rare exception, LOVE to ride trains and other transport that is smooth and quiet. The monorail would be a godsend over walking to a park or taking a bus.

Plus, the pool is not SUCH a strong consideration for a baby that young. Mostly, the baby will be in the parent's arms since at that age, even kiddie pools are not appropriate since the kid is usually not walking too well (if at all) and standing upright in a kiddie pool is a big challenge. Plus, the OP is going in January, and the chance of even USING the pool is slim to none with a baby. It's just not warm enough at that time of year.

The weather in January should be a STRONG argument for staying at the CR. The amount of time you would spend outdoors is much lower than if you stayed at the Poly, where there are separate buildings. I would definitely stay at an "all under one roof" resort with a baby in January.

Nekochan
09-29-2007, 10:23 AM
MONORAIL MONORAIL MONORAIL. Stay at a resort with the monorail if at all possible - I loved the poly, and didn't like the contemporary decor, but would stay at the contemporary if I couldn't afford the Poly. My other choice would be a Savannah view room at the AKL, but I don't know if I'd want to give up the convenience of the poly. (love that monorail). The nice thing at the contemporary is that it goes inside the hotel, so if it's raining, once you get onto the monorail you won't have to deal with the rain again.

maizey05
09-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Thanks to all for your input.
So, now I'm also wondering about staying at Poly...definately more $ than I planned on spending, but if it's worth it, I'll make it work. Now, help me decide between CR and Poly.

Also, I'm a little concerned that CR doesn't have a quickie CS place to grab a bagel/muffin for breakfast. Also wondering if all the rooms have been redone, or if there's still ones that they assign that are waiting to be redone....I'd much prefer a "newer" room!

Jenemmy
09-29-2007, 03:32 PM
I have stayed at both and feel you really can't go wrong with either. I personally prefer the Contemporary -- but I am probably in the minority in saying that. The Poly has some die hard fans and with good reason :mickey:

I can answer your Contemporary questions in that yes, I do believe all the rooms are now remodeled and also they have a temporary quick service place on the fourth floor (same floor as Chef Mickeys and where you catch the escalator to the monorail station). I have read a couple of trip reports here on Intercot lately that mention the temporary food place. I admit that I am ***not*** sure on the timeline of when all the interior construction of the CR is to be finished, but I am sure that info is on here as well.

The biggest differences between the two is Theme and Structure, IMHO. Poly is themed to the hilt and puts you smack in the middle of a pacific paradise. Contemporary is --- ummmm -- contemporary -- LOL! With the exception of the garden wing, the Contemporary is all housed within one structure (and the garden wing has a covered walkway attaching it to the main building) whereas the Poly is a cluster of different long houses. In other words, you would have to building hop to get from your room to the monorail depot at the Poly. The rooms, I believe, are the exact same size -- both having 2 queen beds plus a pull out couch/daybed. You can get FANTASTIC views of Cindy's Castle at either resort, have access to a beach and the nightly water pageant.

If I were you, I would go to the resort section here on Intercot and just read up on both places, take a look at the pix of each resort and get a feel for what the rooms look like. See which floats your boat. They are both convenient, beautiful and in the very heart of Disney. Good luck -- planning and researching like this is half the fun!!!!

TexasPrincessAurora
09-29-2007, 04:31 PM
If you want to stay somewhere "newer" then I'd definitely go with the Poly. They recently renovated all their rooms. Their quick service place is actually quite good, which would be a plus as well. Check out Tikiman's website if you want more in depth info about the Poly...it's awesome. That might help you decide whether it would be a good fit for you.

krorx
09-29-2007, 04:46 PM
The Poly would be my pick. But I suppose out of the resorts you listed I would go for CR just because of the monorail which makes transportation to MK and Epcot a breeze.

rj
09-30-2007, 07:11 AM
The only deluxe that we have stayed at is WL and loved it. Quick boat ride to MK. Next trip we have decided to stay at the Poly.

bouncer
09-30-2007, 10:27 AM
We stayed @ CR before the quick service was moved to 4th floor in the North Garden Wing which also no longer exists. We really liked the room. Just as prev posted it had daybed & 2 queens. Nice thing about the bathroom: the sinks/mirror were outside the bathroom. Easier for 1 person showering & one using mirror. Quick service & arcade were really cool but I can't comment on the temporary location or how it ranks now. If you get a lagoon view at either you can watch the electric parade which starts @ Poly at 9pm and gets to CR about 9:15. We really love seeing the castle and fireworks from our room while our DS is sleeping.
At Poly the distance between buildings is short and the walk to TTC is about 5 minutes to pick up Epcot Monorail. The bathroom has sinks inside in all one unit so if your DS is a light sleeper you may want to consider closing the door to get ready. Captain Cook's quick service is great!
I personally don't like the boat idea on a regular basis with a little one. More exposure to cool winds/rain etc. Also, standing and waiting on a dock for the boat with a toddler (unless they are strapped in stroller) can get really nerve racking.

I, myself have become hooked on Poly :cloud9:(btw the pool here is zero entry meaning it's easy to stand with little one at edge as if standing on a seashore) but I also would have no qualms about staying at CR if Poly was booked. It is nice to have the monorail, shopping, restaurant in the same building. Of the 2 you can't go wrong. Good luck with your choice:mickey:

A Big Kid
09-30-2007, 11:10 AM
If money is not an issue, then I would vote for the Poly. You can take the monorail to the MK. There is any easy walk to the TTC which has monorail access to Epcot and busses to everywhere.

GrmGrninGost
09-30-2007, 08:22 PM
My favorite it the Wilderness Lodge. :mickey: But, there is something to be said for being on the monorail route! I love the Poly also! I have not tried the Contemporary, but we have plans to do so. I hear good things about it! Any way you go, I expect you'll have a wonderful time! :thumbsup:

RALPH
10-01-2007, 06:32 AM
I would suggest either the GF or the CR. Natalie has some very important points with a child that young. Being in an all enclosed resort I think is very important at that time of year. I love the Poly, but I think you would be better served by the other 2 monorail hotels. Face it, you going to spend most of your time in MK, like it or not. That is set up perfectly for your child at that age. And when the baby gets cranky or you want to get back to your room for a nap (you will) the convienence will show the intelligence of the decision.