PDA

View Full Version : CM's and asking for i.d.

TinyTink
09-27-2007, 11:45 PM
This past May I was at the kiosk outside Germany. I wanted a pretzel and a beer. I walk up and order and am asked for id, to which I gladly present. (I am 23 years old btw) Here's the thing, the photo on my id was taken some 6 years ago. Aside from currently looking younger than I am, my look has changed from when I took the photo (different color hair, I had braces and hadn't yet discoved eyebrow waxing), and last time I checked, it is legal to change your look. My facial features are obviously the same though. Back to the story...The CM looked strangely at my i.d., so I offered to present her with another, which I did because I know I look a bit different now. To which she looked at and replied, "I don't know. I don't know if I believe you." She looked again. "I still don't believe you but....ok." I was upset to say the least, I even offered to show more, so that she felt safer and she just dismissed me. She reluctantly served me, but continued looking at me strangely. That put me off. Now, I know that people have fake id's out there and the CM's don't want to be held responsible for serving alcohol to minors with fakes, I completely understand. But a response like that I felt was very unnecessary. I will be attending the F&W this year, and am now concerned that the same thing might happen.Let's say I choose to do a wine tasting, I am a little concerned that I may be looked at like a fake and law breaking minor again. These instances happen to me at times, but more at Disney than anywhere else. The odd look at the id has happened in some WDW restaurants, but I thankfully didn't have anyone say they didn't believe me after presenting multiple id's. Should I even be concerned, or just go with it and hope for better luck? I thought showing a secondary form of identification was enough when there is a suspicion. Is that not good enough anymore? :confused:

Figment50
09-28-2007, 12:25 AM
If your truly concerned I would get your liscened picture updated or maybe just show your passport if your picture there look more like you. If your liscend look nothing like you do currently because you've change your look I would expect them to question you. Maybe time to get a new picture for your license.

Christine
09-28-2007, 12:49 AM
I think what I find upsetting is that she didn't believe you and STILL gave you the beer!!

But as for your concern, I too agree that it's time to update the ID. Right after high school I lost a LOT of weight (which somehow has found it's way home to me now :blush:) and people questioned my ID too.

BronxTigger
09-28-2007, 05:44 AM
I would suggest getting a new ID also.

I'm confused why your state allows a person in that age group to have the same license for so long. Many states have graduated licenses now where a person has to update it every few years in the 16-25 age range.

Marilyn Michetti
09-28-2007, 07:25 AM
I agree, get a new pic taken for your I.D.

The poor CM is between a rock and a hard place, because the penalty for serving minors is really stiff.

:You should be in Az. When I buy wine at the Wal Mart to cook with, I get carded, and I'm in my 60's.:blush:

IloveDisney71
09-28-2007, 07:32 AM
I agree that it's time for you to update your I.D. Then you won't have to deal with any hassle.
In my state everyone has to renew their drivers license every 4 years. Even then my hair changes styles and colors:secret:.
I think it's funny though that they never ask me to update the weight part :) - which has regrettably increased by about 35 pounds:blush:.

ariel03
09-28-2007, 08:01 AM
I have never been carded at WDW. I am 26 but many people tell me I look way under 21 and yet I have never been carded at WDW. I was starting to think they didn't do that there until I read your post.

bleukarma
09-28-2007, 08:13 AM
I would suggest getting a new ID also.

I'm confused why your state allows a person in that age group to have the same license for so long. Many states have graduated licenses now where a person has to update it every few years in the 16-25 age range.

For some reason FL has a problem with that. I still had my license from when I was 16 when I moved to OH at 22. I think in FL you only have to renew every 7 years. And sometimes they let you renew it through the mail and they'll mail you a sticker to put on the back so you don't have to go in and update your pic if you don't want. I still see the old laminated kind (the pre-credit card type) that were around before I started driving 11 years ago.

To the OP,I agree with updating your license picture. However I know how frustrating it is at the DMV here! If only the DMV offices in FL would take a cue from how things worked at Disney so they can get things done more efficiantly! In a way I'm kind of greatful you only have to update every 7 years since going to the DMV is a half day event!

WDWFanatic
09-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Do you have problems with your id in other places also? If you can update it I would. Also I wonder if you kindof made a joke about it when they look funny and after you've given them a second form of id. Something like, "I'm like fine wine I improve with age" Maybe they feel you're a little unsure about it so they question it more.

BTW I'm 40 and still get carded. Yes I'm buy $200 of food to try to sneak by a case of corona:D. I guess I'll be sad when it stops!

Good Luck!

princessM0m
09-28-2007, 10:42 AM
I sympathize with TinyTink but agree that maybe it's time to update the license. HOWEVER, the CM's response seems pretty rude, and I think that's what TinyTink is posting about. I respect the job the CM has of ensuring that alcohol is legally served, but if she had reservations she should have refused service or kept her comments to herself.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-28-2007, 11:56 AM
If the CM was that unsure, she should have asked you to repeat some of the information on the card such as the address and the date of birth. If she was still unsure after that, she should have refused service.

Because let's say you had been under 21, she would have gotten fined $500, lost her job, and up to 60 days in jail. I can't rememer if she will be able to serve alcohol again or not.

I would recommend that you update your ID to prevent another situation like this. Thankfully, I look the same as I did 5 years ago, only my hair isn't pitch black. Then again, I don't drink at all.

TinyTink
09-28-2007, 12:08 PM
I was definitely trying to point out and share the rude comment. It shocked me, I had never had a CM tell me anything rude ever. There are other ways to deal with a situation like this. Thinking back I should have complained or asked for a manager. I didn't even feel like drinking it afterwards.:cry: Anyway, I have been wanting to get a new picture, but aside from standing in hours of lines (I live in Miami) just to take it, its not yet time to get it renewed. I have some more months to wait before the first day it can be renewed. And I am not sure that they will allow me to take a new pic before renewal time. Unfortunately Florida ID's take 7 years to renew and they will slap the same picture on as the first unless you go in person and request a new one to be taken. :mad: But yeah more than anything else, I just wanted to share the experience. :)

Hayden's Dad
09-28-2007, 12:10 PM
I agree with everyone else. No offense but what do you expect your ID is supposed to prove who you are if it doesn't look like you then it doesn't prove who you are. I work in the banking industry and check ID's all day long. Government issued ID's are the only ones that matter it doesn't matter how many other id's have your name or picture on them if your primary doesn't look like you I am not going to loose my job and possibly go to jail.

TinyTink
09-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Do you have problems with your id in other places also? If you can update it I would. Also I wonder if you kindof made a joke about it when they look funny and after you've given them a second form of id. Something like, "I'm like fine wine I improve with age" Maybe they feel you're a little unsure about it so they question it more.

BTW I'm 40 and still get carded. Yes I'm buy $200 of food to try to sneak by a case of corona:D. I guess I'll be sad when it stops!

Good Luck!

Hahaha, no I don't make a joke. That's a good one though! :thumbsup: Whenever this happens people usually tell me "I like your hair much better now than in your picture." I guess in the future I will appreciate getting carded! :cool:

doombuggy
09-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Anyway, I have been wanting to get a new picture, but aside from standing in hours of lines (I live in Miami) just to take it, its not yet time to get it renewed. I have some more months to wait before the first day it can be renewed. And I am not sure that they will allow me to take a new pic before renewal time. Unfortunately Florida ID's take 7 years to renew and they will slap the same picture on as the first unless you go in person and request a new one to be taken.

When i moved to Orlando, I had to spend a couple of hours at the DVM in Kissimmee to get my photo taken, change the plates on the car, etc. It is a pain in the behind! I do think that they should be renewed more frequently here in FL. I moved in October and never got around to getting my address on my licence changed (I know, lazy, but I work 7 days per week...), but now that I have renewed my lease on my apt, I will go do this in person and get a new photo - the one I have is yucky. I think it costs $10, and I would assume that they would charge you the same just to get a new photo.

I will be 40 is about 3 weeks (yikes), but lucky for me, I look like I am in my late 20s. I don't really drink much anymore, but I can emphathize with you! Have fun at the F&W!

TinyTink
09-28-2007, 01:07 PM
I have been wanting to get a new picture, but aside from standing in hours of lines (I live in Miami) just to take it, its not yet time to get it renewed. I have some more months to wait before the first day it can be renewed.

To correct myself, I made a mistake about the date to be renewed and am in fact eligible so I have an appointment for next Friday, so hopefully I won't have this problem again! But then again I'm an avid hair style/color changer so we'll see!!:mickey: Thanks for the input everyone!!

kakn7294
09-28-2007, 02:20 PM
Sorry you had such a difficult time with that CM. If you really don't look that much like that picture or it looks really juvenile, she probably felt between a rock and a hard place and was hoping that you would just change your mind and let her off the hook.

May I suggest that when you go for your new picture that you keep your look fairly basic to keep your license as close to how you look for years to come. Style your hair in a way that you might continue to style it for a number of years and in which you will most frequently look like that ID photo - at least wear it mostly back off of your face to let your facial features show. Don't wear a bunch of funky jewelry either and wear a top that's something basic that you might typically wear for years. Good luck with that new prison ID (oh sorry, I meant driver's license!).

DNS
09-28-2007, 04:41 PM
The "I don't believe you" comment would have bothered me, but I'm with others that I would go get a new license so your picture can be updated.

Pipalotta
09-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Yes get a new I.D. if possible. Here in Maryland, it isnt required you get a new liscense at 21 but most people do. When you are under 21 here your liscense or Id card is vertical and has red coloring so it is easy for people to see that you are under 21. When you are over 21 it is horizontal and has blue coloring. It used to be that under 21 your picture was taken side view instead of from the front.

I only just got a new ID like 2 years ago but have already decided if there is a major change, such as major weightloss I will get a new id just to avoid the hassel.

DisneyDudet
09-28-2007, 09:03 PM
First off, the CM's comment did seem rude to me. If there was an issue, then a supervisor should have been called, not a rude comment made. I agree with you there.

Now, I know that in the state of Texas, you HAVE to get a new picture made if there is a noticeable change in appearance.

I have the problem of not looking my age. People think I'm 17. I'm almost 24. Not only do I look young in my ID (which was taken when I was 16.. i get a new one this year) but I look young now. I doubt I'll get a new picture this time, as I really haven't changed. If I have an issue with it, I'll change it. But if you've been having problems and you do look noticeably different, it is time for a new one. I'm glad you are able to get another one. Hopefully it will come in time for your visit!

mickey&missy
09-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Seems a bit rude to me too. Why was it necessary to say she didn't believe you? and why in the world would she serve you if she didn't believe you?!

Someone mentioned them asking you to repeat some of the info off your ID to verify. That happened to me shortly after my 21st birthday buying a bottle of champagne for New Years Eve!! Seems to me to be a very good way to make sure its not a fake!

I have to say I'm going on 32 and still get carded all the time. I had my 3rd child in May. July 4th weekend I went to a local store to buy a bottle of wine to take to a BBQ. The man asked me for my id. They have this thing where they run your id through the lottery machine to verify its real and it tells them your age(I guess). The man blushed and said wow! He told me he would have never taken me for 31. I said thank you and said that I had a 6 week old baby at home and that he really made my day! I came home and told my DH that I loved the man at the liqour store!!

As you get older being carded won't bother you as much anymore! Its a complement rather then an insult!

I hope you don't have any problems and you can enjoy F&W without being hassled!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-29-2007, 03:43 AM
Seems a bit rude to me too. Why was it necessary to say she didn't believe you? and why in the world would she serve you if she didn't believe you?!

Someone mentioned them asking you to repeat some of the info off your ID to verify. That happened to me shortly after my 21st birthday buying a bottle of champagne for New Years Eve!! Seems to me to be a very good way to make sure its not a fake!

That's what you are trained to do under the RVP, Responsible Vendor Program. It's what all F&B companies who want the license are required to train their employees. We are required to take a refresher every 2 years on it as well.

The point being, she shouldn't have sold it to the OP if she didn't believe. It's that simple. It the OP had a problem after that, they could have requested a manager (who hopefully would support the CM only because again, the server would still suffer the penalties even with the manager's approval).

And I've done it before. I've walked off a register and made my managers sign on with their name and info and sell someone alcohol because I refused to. I'm not going to jail just because my managers don't want to deal with upset and yelling guests. Because in the end, it comes back to the server.

Grizz16
09-30-2007, 03:39 AM
Does Florida have a law that everyone has to be carded no matter how old they look, even elderly people? Tennessee has a law like that. :shake:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-30-2007, 10:59 AM
Anyone who appears under the age of 35. 25 for cigerettes.