PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving, Frights, Tea and Fireworks - Pre-Trip Report

Mickey'sGirl
09-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Dates: October 6 to 14, 2007

Cast:
Me – Jennifer – instigator, planner and holiday director
DH – Brian (CanadianWDWFan) – ever willing accomplice and finder of cheap airfare
DS9 – Harry – seasoned WDW veteran and rider of thrill rides
DS3 – Euan – 5th trip and he knows what he likes and expects you to as well

After much haranguing by my DH, I am finally filing this pre-trip report!

I will preface this to say that we never thought we would be making another October trip due to school and my “busy” time at work, but I have learned to never say never! We (read as “Brian”) were able to find fabulous airfares for us from Buffalo direct to MCO leaving on the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend and returning during the day the following Sunday, thereby limiting the number of school days DS9 would miss to 4. This was further aided by the fact that I had to relinquish some vacation time earlier this year to accommodate my boss and he felt guilty enough about it to approve my October time off. The fact that the Intercot 10th Anniversary Meet would be occurring at the same time was the icing on the cake! We contacted Terrisue at Magical Journey’s and had her reserve a package for us at the All Star Sports (our AP’s have expired :pout: ) with the request to be moved to one of the Moderates should discounts be announced. Sure enough they were, and we are now looking forward to a stay at Port Orleans Riverside for the first time.

We have an early afternoon flight out of Buffalo on Saturday. Since that weekend is the Thanksgiving long weekend in Canada, we expect traffic to be heavier than normal at the border, so we have booked a night at the Best Western in Buffalo for the Friday night. We will be able to leave our car with them, and get a shuttle to the airport for about the same money as it would cost to just park at the airport. This way, we can leave whenever on Friday night and not worry about how long it takes to get across the border, check into our hotel and keep the kids up a bit later (so they will sleep later on Saturday morning) and head over to the airport for our flight early Saturday afternoon.

We expect to land at MCO at about 5:30, pick up our rental car and head over to Riverside. We have no specific plans for Saturday night, but are prepared for whatever the kids want to do – a park, DTD or just flub about at the pool if the weather is good.

Sunday is Thankgsiving Day :turkey:, and originally we (read as “I”) had planned dinner for the Liberty Tree Tavern – but for the 3rd time I chickened out (I can’t get Stouffers out of my head) and changed the reservation to an early dinner at Cinderella’s Royal Table at Euan’s request. He had watched Sleeping Beauty and told me that “We eat lunch in the Castle”. I told him we weren’t planning on it, and he told me “We eat lunch in the Castle”. So now “We eat lunch in the Castle” …. or in this case, dinner.

For Monday, we have recently made lunch reservations at the Brown Derby. I have wanted to eat here for many years, but we haven’t for one reason or another. I am really looking forward to it! We have a dinner reservation at Spoodles over at the Boardwalk, and then we will go to Epcot to enjoy our VIP viewing of Illuminations (thanks to Teppenyaki’s late re-opening). Harry is quite impressed that we will be “VIP’s” and tells everyone about it. I am just happy to be seeing Illuminations, as it is my favourite! :fworks:

On Tuesday we have breakfast reservations at Chef Mickey’s. Chef Mickey’s isn’t my favourite, but it is a great way to see the characters up close – and seeing Mickey up close is very very very important to Euan. We also have an early dinner reservation at the Crystal Palace that day. We have concentrated on the early breakfast = early entry to the park deal in recent visits, so we are looking forward to giving dinner at CP another try!

On Wednesday we will have an early lunch at the boys’ favourite – the Sci-Fi Drive In. I know that the food is much maligned, but we have always enjoyed our meals and the experience. We opted for an early lunch, as we have dinner reservations at the Kona Café (my favourite!). We had to cancel our reservation at Kona when we were down in April, as my poor DH had a horrible flu for the last two days of our trip. I plan on making up for that missed meal!!

We are having dinner at ‘Ohana on Thursday. ‘Ohana is another of Harry’s favourites, and we had to leave our dinner in April, because DS3 chose the exact moment we were seated to have a massive melt-down. Needless to say, big brother was both embarrassed and disappointed, so we are really looking forward to this one! After dinner, we have arranged for Kid’s Nite Out to come and look after the boys, whilst Brian and I head to Pleasure Island for an adult night out.:marg:

The plan for Friday is to lie in a bit, and then head over to the Grand Floridian for a very late breakfast at 1900 Park Fare with Mary Poppins (the lady love :heart: of Euan’s life). We will have a leisurely day before getting prepped for Mickey’s Not So Scary Hallowe’en Party and the Friday Night Intercot Meet! We are all extremely excited about this – DS9 can’t wait to see the Headless Horseman ride down Main Street and DS3 can’t wait to wear his Sorcerer Mickey costume!:mpumpkin:

We have purposely left Saturday vague – I will be attending the Tea at the Grand Floridian and the boys plan to go fishing. We will make sure to be at the Illuminations Viewing in plenty of time to meet the “Special Guest” – If it is who we think it is, DS3 will absolutely lose his mind!:smickey:

On Sunday we have to dash out to the airport, as we have a late morning flight home, so we will miss some of the events.

On a very basic level, we are looking forward to meeting several friends in person, and finishing up some things that were left unfinished from our April trip. We really missed out on quality time at Epcot, and can’t wait to slow down and spend some time there. Unfortunately one of our favourites, Spaceship Earth, will not be up and running, but that’s the way it works sometimes.

disneydrmr
09-27-2007, 01:45 PM
I really hope you and your family have a WONDERFUL, MAGICAL and MEMORABLE time! Try to be kind to Alex - ok? ;) ANd take lots and lots of pictures! And don't worry about your home.. as you know.. the JQ Demo/Reno team will be looking after it! :D

DizNee143
09-27-2007, 02:43 PM
i hope you guys have a great time...by the sounds of your plans it seems you guys will have a great time..and be eating at some good places also!! cant wait to hear all about it when you get back! :mickey:

Dsnygirl
09-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Jenn, your trip and all your special meals sound WONDERFUL!! I'm really looking forward to meeting you and Brian and the boys -- I hope your flight out of Buffalo goes smoothly (what a good idea, going early!! :thumbsup:) and that your days until "the rest of us" get there are magical!! See you soon!! :D

TikiGoddess
09-27-2007, 06:40 PM
Can't wait to meet you all! Have a safe trip!

TikiG

alpro2
09-27-2007, 06:44 PM
And why wasn't I mentioned in your report??? ;) :D Looking forward to meeting you and Brian at PI on Thursday. :thumbsup:

pogo
09-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Cousin...... I'm glad you and your family are going to be there for the Meet and I'm glad you have such a wonderfull vacation planned. :cloud9:

Enjoy, travel safe and remember to eat a :bar: for me. Please take lots of pictures, especailly of the "JQ" crew. :D

faline
09-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Yay! You'll be at the Intercot meet! I look forward to meeting you and your family!

Caroleh
09-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Sister, your plans sound great!!! Too bad I can't be there to meet you. I can't wait to read your trip reports and I look forward to seeing the pictures(don't forget to take one of Alex in his special outfit!!!)

May Brian, the boys and yourself have a wonderful trip!!!!

Natazu
09-28-2007, 01:59 AM
For Monday, we have recently made lunch reservations at the Brown Derby. I have wanted to eat here for many years, but we haven’t for one reason or another.Hey Jenn. Do a review if you get a chance. We had a Brown Derby reservation for our first monday and just cancelled it in favor of Il Mulino. Your 'Ohana is 6:45 right? room for two more?

See ya soon

Jym

Mickey'sGirl
09-28-2007, 08:58 AM
Hey Jenn. Do a review if you get a chance. We had a Brown Derby reservation for our first monday and just cancelled it in favor of Il Mulino. Your 'Ohana is 6:45 right? room for two more?

See ya soon

Jym
I just added you in! :thumbsup: Are you going to do the coconut race with Harry????

ChipnDaleGal
09-28-2007, 09:59 AM
How nice that you can combine a wonderful family trip with all the Intercot Festivities! See you at the meets! :mickey:

BriarRose0708
09-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Great pre-trip! It sounds like you are in for a magical time and I'm so glad we'll all get to meet. I'm flying in to Buffalo on the 14th as well, but not until the early evening. See you soon!

ElenitaB
09-28-2007, 11:53 AM
So, Jenn, how many sleeps is it until we meet on Thursday???

Hope we can meet up earlier on Thursday!

So looking forward to meeting you and the boys!

KylesMom
09-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Oh Jenn, what a fabulous time you guys are going to have! It's bittersweet reading all of the wonderful plans you've made with your "boys" (Brian included :mickey:). I'll be waiting anxiously for your trip reports!

Natazu
09-28-2007, 03:19 PM
I just added you in! :thumbsup: Are you going to do the coconut race with Harry????
He's quite a bit more athletic than me. Can I have a head start?

cal5755
09-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Wow that sounds terrific. I think it is the coolest thing that so many people from intercot are getting together! Have fun!!

Mousefever
09-29-2007, 07:19 PM
My son, Jacob, is excited that there will be another nine year old boy at the meet! We are not arriving until Friday afternoon, but we'll see you at MNSSHP in the evening!
Amy

:dory:

goofynmd
10-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Hope you have a wonderful trip. I look forward to hearing your comments about Kids Night Out. I am considering using them for our upcoming trip in November.

dolphinmickey9170
10-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Have a great time. Can't wait to hear your reports!! Enjoy!

HndrdPrcnt
10-05-2007, 01:27 AM
Jenn -

You don't even understand how happy I am for you and the boys that you get to be at DW for the Intercot 10th Anniversary meet!! That is going to be such a wonderful trip. The only thing that I am disappointed about is that this will not be an opportunity for us to finally meet:(!! Oh well, we will get our chance and at least I was blessed to meet Brian and Harry. They represented the family well :thumbsup:!!

I will look so forward to the video, the pictures, and the trip reports!! I will be living the trip vicariously through all of you.

I told Brian that I may need to ask a favor of you while you are there. He can give you the details!

Have a blast and travel safely!! Tell Mickey that the Burkes will get back there at some point!

BTW, when are we going to find our time to finally meet up??

John

tinkerbellybutton
10-05-2007, 07:21 AM
Sounds like you are going to have a WONDERFUL time! I am so looking forward to reading your trip reports. Have a safe trip!