PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying resale membership; questions abound.

deva
09-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Maybe someone could help me.

I know we aren't supposed to talk about specific offers on here, but I have a few general questions. If this isn't appropriate please let me know.

I'm looking into joining the DVC and trying to obtain all the info. I've watched DVDs, been sent books by Disney, and read a bunch of boards to try to get my arms around it.

Today I was looking at another site that resells memberships. Some of the memberships were priced very low. Specifically, the Hilton Head points were roughly 65% of what points go for now. Other Disney resorts were maybe around 80% give or take.

My question(s) is(are): What is the disadvantage of joining this way? What would be the disadvantage of buying the Hilton Head membership? As far as I can tell, the only disadvantage would be being able to book 7 months instead of 11 months ahead of time for Disney resorts. Is there something else? Otherwise, why wouldn't I pay 65% of the cost for the Hilton Head membership? Are there hidden disadvantages of not buying new?

Please advise, and if you can think of other tidbits of info that would clear my head I would appreciate it.

Donald A
09-27-2007, 09:53 AM
A few things about your questions that may help you and others will certainly help you as well:

1) I bought-in through Disney but buying in through resale still makes you a member and gets you the same benefits. If the points are too low in price, however, Disney may exercise a "right of first refusal." That means that once you go to buy and get everything worked out. Disney will have to approve this sale and has a right to buy the points from the person instead of you.

2) Hilton Head is cheaper resale but has higher dues (more hurricane liability) I believe and would become your home resort. Therefore, you can book a trip 11 months out for Hilton Head but only 7 months out at all other DVC resorts. So, if want to go to a Disney World DVC resort at a really popular time you may have trouble getting something you want even though you may be able to find something at like Saratoga or Old Key West 7 months out.

All-in-all it might be worth it to save the money with Hilton Head keeping slightly higher annual dues in mind.

CanadianWDWFan
09-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks for this thread. We too are looking at buying resale at BWI. From what we were told, just as Donald A said, that you are a full member regardless of where you buy your points from. You can also buy smaller amouts of points in resale as well. I don't think that there is a minimum to buy. We have seen resales with 25 points. Even buying just this small amount gets you full membership.

Maleficent's Dad
09-27-2007, 10:46 AM
My question(s) is(are): What is the disadvantage of joining this way?
There are no specific "disadvantages" to buying a resale. The only things you should consider in a resale are:
1. Disney will not finance, you must do that on your own.
2. It may take a bit longer until you are a member (2 months as oppposed to a few days).
3. If price is way too low, Disney can and will exercise the ROFR which allows them to buy the property - leaving you without. Seems like no big deal, but that could be weeks after you agree to puchase.

What would be the disadvantage of buying the Hilton Head membership? As far as I can tell, the only disadvantage would be being able to book 7 months instead of 11 months ahead of time for Disney resorts. Is there something else? Otherwise, why wouldn't I pay 65% of the cost for the Hilton Head membership?
The 11 month window has been playing a bigger factor in the world of DVC. You'd be hardpressed to secure the more "popular" WDW resorts at 7 months during certain times. During the F&W festival, you'll struggle to get the BW or BC villas. From Thanksgiving to Christmas, you'll have difficulty getting almost any room as this is one of the most popular times of all to go for DVC'ers.
All in all, there is no difference other than the 7 month vs. 11 month window - but that alone has become a much more important item in DVC.

Are there hidden disadvantages of not buying new?
No, nothing that hasn't already been mentioned. There's nothing "hidden" and you will be treated like all other DVC members once you buy in! :thumbsup:

Good luck! :mickey:

WRWDisney
09-27-2007, 02:31 PM
One more point that no one has mentioned yet (here), is the length of the contract. All of the older DVC resorts expire in 2042 (35 years from now. Saratoga Springs expires in 2052 and AKV in 2057 (I think those are right; I know they are within about a year).

So, while another resort may be less expensive, you have to keep in mind that you are buying 30% less time than at AKV; so the savings is not quite the amount that it would initially seem.

All of that said, the best advice I received before we bought is buy where you want to stay, thus for us, neither Vero nor HH made sense. While we might choose to stay there, our main purpose is to be at Disney World, so we bought at a resort on the main property. I may be able to get into one of the other Disney World resorts, but I am almost certain to be able to get into my home resort (still on property).

Just one more point:thedolls:

DVC Mike
09-27-2007, 06:57 PM
One more point that no one has mentioned yet (here), is the length of the contract. All of the older DVC resorts expire in 2042 (35 years from now. Saratoga Springs expires in 2052 and AKV in 2057

You can buy OKW points from DVC that are good through 2057, since the OKW extension has been approved. SSR is good through 2054.

Currently, all the OKW contracts available via resale are only through 2042.

DVC2004
09-28-2007, 09:00 AM
Lots of good info here; just want to add to consider the points used. Many resales have used all the current points up/or borrowed future points and you may have to wait until the next use year comes around for more points. Also, when you join with DVC you are a member from day one- with resales Disney has the right of first refusal on the contract and you may wait 30 days before your transaction is complete.

CarolMN
09-28-2007, 01:21 PM
If the resales are going for less now, they will also go for less when/if you sell at a later date. Something to keep in mind since many members do not keep their contracts all that long, even if they intended to when they first purchased.

It is possible (but not likely) that at some point, the HH resort will not be part of the DVC.

For example, if the HH owners vote to change to someone other than Disney to run the resort, the HH resort & owners will be out of the Club - they will not be able to use their points for any of the DVC resorts.

A more likely scenario (IMHO) is that HH gets destroyed by a hurricane. Disney has the option to decide not to rebuild. If that happens, the insurance proceeds are divided among the owners and all of the HH points are worthless.

It is also possible that even if Disney reuilds the resort, HH points will not be accepted for other DVC resorts until the resort is rebuilt and ready for occupancy.

The POS for HH (and VB) gives the likelihood of a hurricane destroying the resort. I don't remember what the actual probabilities are, but I do remember being surprised - it is more likely than I thought.

Anyway, buy HH (or VB) if you want to stay there on a regula basis. If your intent is to mostly stay at one of the WDW resorts, you are better off to buy one of them. At least if you can't get your first choice at 7 months, you'll have a place to stay at WDW! The savings now won't matter much if you can't get a reservation where you want to be when you want to be there!