PDA

View Full Version : early hours at DL

locutus
09-24-2007, 12:36 AM
I went to Disneyland for the first time last month. Living in NJ I go to DW all the time but my wife wanted to try something different this year. When we checked in I was told about early entry days at DL. There early days for hotel guests start at 7 am as opposed to DW 8am. And like Florida I was dissaointed that you arent told thAt only Tommoroland and Fantasyland open early. Well I left the hotel at 630 am ( I let my wife and kids sleep because I wanted to ride a few things the kids are to small for) and walked from my hotel (Grand California Hotel) to the Monorail stop in Downtown Disney. I didnt realize how close the park actually was or I would have walked to begin with. But after getting to the monorail station I was told they were having problems with the monorail and that I should just walk to the entrance. After Finally getting in I made a beeline to Space Mountain. It was closed to mechanical problems. Star Tours didnt have anyone there yet. Innoventions was closed. Buzz also was unmanned. This is at 730 am no less. What good is opening the park early if only two sections are opened, especially when none of the attractions in one of those 2 arent being manned? I dont think it was worth going in early unless you have small children to enjoy Fantasyland. And can anyone tell me if this has ever happened. My son is 6 years old and 48 inches tall. I took him into the Bugs Life area of the California Adventure Park, and let him ride the kiddie bumper cars. He did this 2 times then we took in the bugs life movie and more of the bugs land area. When we went to go onto the bumper cars again the kid running the ride said he couldnt ride alone because after asking my son how old he was he said he had to be 7 to ride alone. Now I saw other kids riding alone who were smaller and said they were 7. The brochure and the sign at the ride mention height requirements but nowhere does it have an age restriction? When asked at customer relations the woman said she hadnt heard of anything like that citing only the height requirement which my son clearly covered. Does anyone know who I could write to in regards to this? I tried to call their customer service when I got home but was told they would look into and contact me back in a few days. Its been a month and I guess they just swept it under the rug. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

NotaGeek
09-24-2007, 12:52 AM
Sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your Early Entry Experience. That's the way it's always been at Disneyland. Early entry lets you do all the Fantasyland rides (no kids needed, IMO) because during the day the wait can be very intimidating for those with small kids.

You can email Guest Services directly by going HERE (https://secure.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/help/contactUs?name=ContactUsPage).

It's strange that you didn't notice that Early Entry was only a certain part of Disneyland, I thought it was clear in all the info. Now I will have to check that out next time I go.

BrerGnat
09-24-2007, 12:44 PM
There is a standing rule at ALL Disney parks that children cannot ride without an adult unless they are 7 years old or up. It's just that some CM's enforce it while others let it slide. I have noticed it enforced VERY often at DLR, especially at Bug's Land in DCA. I think that area in particular sees a lot of kids ride alone while Mom and Dad wait it out or stay with younger kids playing in the fountains, since the rides are primarily kiddie rides. The CM's use their judgment when deciding and you can't say that just because a child is smaller than your child, he is necessarily younger. I have a VERY short and skinny 3 year old boy and a very tall and stocky 18 month old boy. They get confused for twins all the time, and I imagine as they get older, the younger one will look the same age, so you can't rely on size alone.

Regarding the Early Entry, it is specifically stated in all the literature WHICH rides are open. You should have received that info when you checked into the resort. I don't believe Star Tours is one that is regularly open during EE (I might be wrong) and you can't do anything about technical problems. EE has always been ONLY select attractions and Frontierland and Adventureland rides have NEVER been included, either at WDW or DLR. Personally, I have never understood the point of EE, because I could never bring myself to wake up that early on VACATION! :D

I'm sorry you feel that you were slighted, but it seems that the things that got under your skin were things that have been in place for a long time now, and you have either been misinformed up to this point, or you did not take the time to fully research things.

A simple glance at a property map (or just simply asking a hotel CM) would have let you know that the fastest way into DL from the Grand was to walk to the front gate (not take the monorail).

A glance at the back of your admission ticket would have told you that children under age 7 cannot ride unaccompanied by an adult (on any ride).

A glance at the EE brochure would have listed which attractions *should* be open, with the advisory "not all attractions may be operating on all EE days" or something to that effect.

Unfortunately, Disney trips take a LOT of research and planning and this is the type of thing that happens when people don't fully appreciate this fact.

Also, just for future reference, WDW and DLR are NOT the same entity. They operate somewhat differently, so you cannot expect policies and procedures to be the same throughout at both locations.

I hope you were able to enjoy your trip regardless of these things that bothered you. By all means, write to the customer relations about your feelings, but I urge you not to expect anything in return other than a form letter thanking you for your "feedback". From their perspective, no wrong was done by them, but perhaps what they need more than anything is to make sure ALL their CM's are trained and have CONSISTENT knowledge of DLR policies and procedures. It seems that the CM you discussed the age requirement is very misinformed, for Disney parks have always had a rule in place regarding age requirements for children riding alone. Perhaps you can point this out in your letter, letting them know that at least one of their CM's in Guest Services is unaware of this rule. That is unacceptable.

locutus
09-29-2007, 07:48 PM
Im a DW verteran. Being a first timer at DL i did do as much reading up as I could find. Nothing given to me at check in even told me about the EE. A woman at the snack resteraunt actually mentioned if I planned on going in early when I asked about what time they opened. The only paperwork given to me at check in were the map of the hotel and my room keys. She could have been new but I was a little dissapointed..I realize DW and DL are different..guess I was expecting what I get in Florida. Also if they want to oimpose age limits for the kiddie rides they should be stated in the park maps, as height restrictions are. Anyhow thanks for the feedback guys. We did have a good time. Was different from Florida. But libving in Jersey, im looking forward to going back home to Florida.:mickey:

BrerGnat
09-30-2007, 03:10 PM
You're right that they should post the age limit to ride alone in a more conspicuous place. I can honestly remember when I was a kid, not being able to ride Dumbo with my sister alone when I was 6 and she was 8. We were told that if I wanted to ride, I had to "go get my mommy or daddy" to ride with me.

I have seen time and time again kids being turned away if they try to board a ride without an adult and they are under 7. This is not just limited to the kiddie rides, it is a rule for ALL the rides. Even if a ride has a height restriction, like Splash Mountain, a child must ALSO be over 7 to ride alone.

I'm sorry you didn't get as much info at check in as you should have. I know the EE info sheet at the WDW Hotels is pretty specific about which rides are open, hours, etc.

I have read a lot of negative reviews of the GCH check in CM's, specifically their lack of knowledge about basic operations and their lack of info passed along to guests. Disney really should address this issue soon...it should not happen at their highest price hotel on property, especially.

locutus
10-01-2007, 10:43 AM
your right Brerknat..I know when I usually go to any other resorts at DW I usually get a big pack with all kinds of info. I just figured things were different at DL ( having this be my first time their ) so I didnt knbow what to expect. Until of course my parents who were with us (they stayed at Paradise Pier) told us they got a good informatioin folder with maps and guides. Maybe after enough people voice complaints Disney will retrain them.