PDA

View Full Version : Free Upgrade?

caubert
09-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Is there any such thing anymore as a free upgrade? If so, how? I guess it is wishful thinking, but on one of our trips we got a free upgrade from CBR to AKL due to construction.
I'll can't afford a deluxe so I was hoping for some luck.

caubert

TheRustyScupper
09-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Yes, there still are free upgrades.
. . . upgrades in class (eg. standard to preferred or concierge)
. . . upgrades in views (eg. standard to water)
. . . upgrades in resorts (Values to Deluxe)

These are "usually" at room assignment time, about 2-4 days before you check-in.

Gotta Love the TTA
09-23-2007, 06:55 PM
However, most of the time the upgrade is due to "operational issues."

This could mean that a certain class of room is over-booked, i.e., perhaps after you booked standard view, a tour bus full of cheerleaders booked that resort--also standard view.

You would get a view/location upgrade because the cheaper rooms were sold out.

Or perhaps there were major problems with a block of rooms that made them un-useable--plumbing issues, insects, etc.
That would trigger a move to (perhaps) a better view or location.

You didn't mention the dates, but a few years ago CBR went down for renovations. Everyone who was booked at CBR was re-booked--often to a deluxe for little or no more than regular Moderate prices.

There may be a few "pixie dust" upgrades, (perhaps as part of Year of a Million Dreams) but you would not get one by asking for it. They would be assigned randomly.

But walking into POR and being offered Polynesian concierge is highly unlikely.

The bottom line is
Pay for what you can afford, and be happy with it.

kathiep
09-23-2007, 07:55 PM
We got one!

We were checking in on the 14th for room only at Pop because we were able to arrive a day earlier than planned with very short notice and we couldn't get the extra night at CSR where we had the rest of our stay booked.

When I got to the desk and gave my name, the CM said OK, hold on. She made a phone call asking someone what they wanted to do and before I knew it she was telling me to choose from Key West and Saratoga springs for the night.

We loved exploring the vacation club for the night.:cloud9: