PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Promises

ChipnDaleGal
09-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Anybody else seen this movie yet? I went yesterday. I have to admit that I went into it expecting not to like it. I am not really a violent mob movie kind of girl. But Viggo Mortensen is one of those actors that I will go see in any movie because I enjoy him so much as an actor. He has such range and really dissolves into his characters. (And he is so handsome and I love his dimples.) So I figured even if the movie isn't good, I can still enjoy looking at him for a couple hours. Imagine my surprise to discover it was an awesome movie. Yes, there were a few graphic scenes that were very hard to watch, but it also had some very tender, sweet moments. Even laughed several times. And Viggo was an acting force to be reckoned with!! He was just amazing! His Russian was very convincing and his performance was very emotional. He better be on a lot of best actor lists this season or he will be robbed. I am still running things through my mind almost 24 hours later. I am so glad that I didn't let the subject matter keep me away. I really loved it and can see myself viewing this one multiple times when I get the DVD. :thumbsup:

NotaGeek
09-23-2007, 01:56 PM
I am totally excited to see this movie! I will probably not get a chance until a couple of weeks from now ... I am especially excited to see 1 specific scene I have heard about! :secret:

ChipnDaleGal
09-23-2007, 09:21 PM
I am totally excited to see this movie! I will probably not get a chance until a couple of weeks from now ... I am especially excited to see 1 specific scene I have heard about! :secret:

Michael - I am pretty sure I know what scene you are refering to. It was very intense. It is a big part of how amazing and brave Viggo is as an actor. I don't think alot of A listers would have gone for it like he did.

Jared
09-23-2007, 09:35 PM
I'm seeing this movie Friday. I'll write a review afterward.

Jared
09-29-2007, 07:46 PM
I saw the film today. The fight scene in the public bath was both gruesome and beautiful. Despite the segment's gore, I kept thinking about ancient Greek sculpture. The fight really glorified the male nude, always showing Viggo Mortensen in artistic poses and fascinating positions. It's a fight scene that should serve as inspiration for other directors.

Overall, I liked the film. It really touched some interesting parts of human nature, from Naomi Watts' love to the baby, to Kirill's unique relationship to his father.

But I'm tired of mob movies. "The Departed" won all the big awards last year, and "Eastern Promises" and "American Gangster" are both Oscar hopefuls this year.

Anyway, I'd give this film four stars on a five-star scale.

In an unrelated note, I saw "2 Days in Paris" on Friday and was disappointed. It just wasn't a great film. I'd probably give it three stars.

MinnieMommie
10-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Just got back from seeing the movie. It was very good. A few surprise twists and excellent acting. Viggo owns his character and plays him with great authenticity. If you like psychological dramas you'll like this one. :thumbsup:

MinnieMommie
10-07-2007, 10:07 PM
In an unrelated note, I saw "2 Days in Paris" on Friday and was disappointed. It just wasn't a great film. I'd probably give it three stars.

Jared: 2 Days in Paris is the funniest movie I've seen in a long time. In the theater where I saw the movie no one stopped laughing the entire movie. I am laughing now just thinking of it. Sorry you didn't like it! :rotfl:

Jared
10-08-2007, 01:02 AM
Jared: 2 Days in Paris is the funniest movie I've seen in a long time. In the theater where I saw the movie no one stopped laughing the entire movie. I am laughing now just thinking of it. Sorry you didn't like it! :rotfl:
Glad to hear you liked it! I'm impressed with Julie Delpy as a writer both in English and French. The movie, though, just didn't engage me enough, despite several funny moments.

I saw "The Jane Austen Book Club" this weekend with a friend. It was a lot of stock material slapped together. I'm sure Austen fans would enjoy it.

MinnieMommie
10-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Glad to hear you liked it! I'm impressed with Julie Delpy as a writer both in English and French. The movie, though, just didn't engage me enough, despite several funny moments.

Julie is great. Did you know the parents were played by her real parents? Maybe it's a sign of age but so many of the characters were like people I have met that it seemed weirdly real to me. And the Jim Morrison storyline totally cracked me up. Maybe it is age showing.
:mickey:

snowflakegirl
10-10-2007, 08:10 AM
I saw Eastern Promises this weekend ... Despite some rather unsettling moments, I thought it was one of the better movies I'd seen in a while. I agree, Viggo was absolutely incredible. I read an interview with him where he said he wasn't happy about the bath house scene, but that in order to keep the integrity of the character there was no other way that he could have seen doing it, so he went with it.