PDA

View Full Version : Ughhh....Florida and no A/C!!!

Terra
09-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Okay just venting and rambling so pay no attention to little me...I just need somewhere to blow off steam!!!

Our A/C unit in our apartment blew up...literally the compressor blew and something else..and it's going to be $1500 to replace...the good news is, we don't have to replace it, the landlord does..

The bad news????? The landlord won't have the money for at least a month to do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad: :mad:

She is a nice lanlord and is always willing to work with people...but she is also in trouble because of it...she is currently out $7000 in rent because of people not paying..
So no air for us!!!!!!!!!!!!

A part of me understands...but a part of me is flaming hot...LITERALLY!!!!!
It's in the 90's here...ughhhhh....

Sorry to vent...

murphy1
09-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Oh, no!!! BTDT!! It's the worst!! I had that happen in an apt in Tampa and also on a car I used to have. A/C is absolutely necessary in the South! We started getting Fall weather here last week, I'm sooo loving it! I hope she gets it fixed soon, my gosh, she knows you have a baby!

Did you get any of that storm last night? I know Eustis was worse hit area.

Lessie
09-21-2007, 02:03 PM
As a landlord and a lawyer I definitely don’t think you need to just take no for an answer on this one! That’s a horrible situation and its really unacceptable! We don’t let our tenants go for more than 24 hours without AC and she shouldn’t be able to let you go for a month!

While your lease and Florida law may be a little different that what I normally deal with, I would guess that you have some options here. Most AC repair companies will bill the landlord later for the service, so she could probably fix it now and pay for it later without any problems. If not, you should also be able to deduct money from your rent for not having AC for a month… especially in Florida! You may also be able to pay for the repair yourself for now and then deduct that from the rent you would have paid her.

You might want to consider sitting down with your landlord and trying to work something out with her that works for both of you!

Good luck!!! :thumbsup:

DVC2004
09-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Sending cool vibes to you! I can relate- our air conditioner just died a few weeks ago and we had to wait a few days for one to be ordered. We were sweltering, but $2,300 later we have a new, working unit. I hope things work out.
I agree- ask her if you can pay and she will reimburse you, however get this in writing! Good luck,

Scar
09-21-2007, 03:15 PM
You may also be able to pay for the repair yourself for now and then deduct that from the rent you would have paid her.This without a doubt sounds like the best idea.

In the meantime, I believe there are a few hotels about a half an hour north of Lake Wales that should have A/C. :mickey:

thrillme
09-21-2007, 03:23 PM
I'd plan on working something out with the landlord. I like the idea of you fix it and deduct it from your rent.

Out $7000 from people not paying...sounds like a number of people should have been outsed and their property sold a lot sooner than $7000 worth. It seems like all they'd have to do would be to take the unit from one apartment (namely one of those who haven't paid or it's vacated) and put it on yours. It won't be new but whomever the apartments maintenance man is should be able to do this in a matter of hours. There's no excuse for a MONTH without A/C in a "rental apartment"...don't take it.

Terra
09-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Thanks guys!!

We could put some money towards it but not all...I didn't even think about being billed later....
I'm going to look into this more after your tips!!

On another note...[and the reason we don't have all the money to fix it..lol]
DH finally did get offered a teaching position...but the county put a hiring freeze out!!! So he was in line up right AFTER the freeze:mad::mad:
However he has a sub position lined up...

And I put an an application at a daycare where I can take my son, yesterday...so keep your fingers crossed!!!!

Flower
09-22-2007, 08:37 PM
Terra, good luck with it! I'm a few miles north of you (okay, a few 1000 miles to the north!) And I could not imagine being without AC.

I'd look into the laws; Here, a tenant has more rights than a landlord and she may have to get it repaired sooner. You as a good, paying tenant should not be penalized for the deadbeats who have not paid her - not your problem. Also, the heat can be dangerous for David.

I hope everything works out! Go stick your head in one of the coolers at Florida's Natural and PLEASE have some cranberry ruby red for me!

And big :congratulations: for DH getting hired as a teacher! Is it Polk County that has the hiring freeze on? Could he look further south in Seabring?

Terra
09-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks!

Yeah it's Polk County...I think it's just a temporary freeze while they move teachers around. When the student enrollment is down a little they do this. We just hope it's lifted soon!

Ahhh Florida's Natural!!!

We did buy a little A/C window unit and we put it in David's room. He and I stay in there most of the day and he plays and we all sleep in there at night. Because I was worried more about him too!!
I'm so deathly paranoid about SIDS and I know overheating is one area they tell you to try and avoid...

Hey at least there will be some A/C at MGM when we meet up!! Hello Playhouse Disney, Little Mermaid, One Man's Dream, GMR and Muppets!!! LOL

SBETigg
09-22-2007, 09:07 PM
Wow, that just sounds awful for you. I'm sorry and I hope it gets fixed soon.