PDA

View Full Version : Sci Fi Diner - very disappointing this year.

jszczur5
09-21-2007, 12:11 AM
The title says it all. We had a really great meal last year - this year, not so good. My pasta dish was not hot, and totally lacking in flavour. It was so cool in fact, that even when I stirred in the cheese, it didn't melt. My dessert, however, was quite warm. Too bad it was ice cream, and shouldn't have been served warm.
We went there on free dining (not really free, I know), so my husband wouldn't let me complain.
He said his food was fine, but neither I or the kids ate our meals. My youngest son drank his hot fudge sundae, just like it were a milkshake.
If we go there again, we will pay OOP for apps or dessert, and save our TS for a better meal - like the fantastic meal we had at Le Cellier.
Rating of meals 1-10:
Sci-Fi - 1 or 2
Hollywood and Vine - 8 (surprisingly good buffet)
50's Primetime - 7
Le Cellier - 10+++
Whispering Canyon - 6 (last day of trip, might have been better, but honestly, sick of food)
Hoop Dee Doo - 6 (but to be honest, they could serve me dog food and I probably wouldn't notice; the show is that good)
Concourse Steakhouse - 8
and one more restaurant that I just cannot recall.

Kairi_7378
09-21-2007, 06:04 AM
I'm sorry that your experience at Sci Fi was so disappointing. It's disappointing when we plan everything around our ADR's and an old favorite restaurant is not up to our expectations.
Regardless of whether or not you went on Free Dining I would still send Disney a letter or e mail to let them know about your experience. Ice cream should not be served warm, and I can't imagine trying to eat cold pasta! The restaurant may have been having an "off" day, but maybe there is another problem that needs to be addressed. I know that it won't make your meal be better but it may help Disney correct a problem for future diners.
Thanks for your reviews of the other restaurants as well!

GreenBeetle
09-21-2007, 08:31 AM
Sorry to hear that. Sci-Fi is usually a favorite of ours (not the best food on Earth, but the atmosphere can't be beat). Free Dining or not, I would have said something about the meals. Afterall, you DID pay it for somewhere in your package.

tiaramom
09-21-2007, 08:37 AM
I've been hearing alot of negative dining reviews over the last 2 weeks..
Whats going on at Disney?
I usually very rarely have dining issues myself- though it does happen. My aunt had just came back last week with many complaints also about many restaurants( she usually enjoys most also).
They better fix their dining issues- or their dining plan will be out the window for 2008
Sorry about the terrible experience at Sci fi

TexasPrincessAurora
09-21-2007, 08:52 AM
We had a similar experience in January at Sci Fi. DH's food was totally inedible...the rest of ours was just so so, definitely nothing to write home about. Even the neat atmosphere can't make up for blah food and lackluster service.

KarenP
09-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Sorry to hear this. I have always enjoyed Sci Fi.

ncrohrs
09-21-2007, 10:03 AM
We are trying Sci Fi for the first time in Feb. I agree with a previous poster, I have read a lot of negative reviews lately!

We are trying Kona Cafe, Sci Fi, and Coral Reef and I have read negative reviews for all of these in the last two weeks! :(

Jared
09-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Sorry to hear about your bad meal. My family tried the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater just for the experience several years ago and will not return. Though the setting is unique and fun, the food is so much better at our favorite restaurants.

krorx
09-21-2007, 11:22 AM
The Sci Fi is fun but I've had better food. If you've never been, it's worth a visit. The atmopshere inside can't be beat for a unique place to eat.

Disney Doll
09-21-2007, 02:00 PM
We tried Sci-Fi once and it's not one of our favorites. I would recommend that anyone who's never been give it a try. The atmosphere is very fun. I would stick to the more traditional dine in fare like burgers, sandwiches, and onion rings- harder to screw up those things. I'd save pasta for an Italian restaurant.

jszczur5
09-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Oh yeah, I just remembered our other dinner - Rose & Crown, another favourite from last year (we even went twice). This year: so-so, I'd rate it a 5 at best. My steak had a very odd flavour, and the batter on my fish was kind of soggy - not crispy like last year. We had fantastic seats for Illuminations though, so the whole meal was not a bust. My hubby has decided that if we go next year, and go on the DDP (whether free, or not), he wants to eat all of his meals at Le Cellier. That was, by far, the best meal we had. Concourse Steakhouse was a distant second. And then either of our CS meals at Wolfgang Express at DTD were better than any of our other TS meals.
I'm not sure how crazy I was about DDP this year. Our entire trip was planned around our ADRs. It certainly took a lot of the spontaneity from our trip.
Pecos Bills wasn't as good this year either. The kids really missed the cheese sauce. The food at Everything POP was better than last year, so, you win some, you lose some.

SandmanGStefani24
09-22-2007, 12:19 PM
wow, what a bummer! the Mrs and I loved it! Of course, she did just have a dessert, and I had the chili (which was outstanding!) so the meals might not live up to the opening and closing acts. I am planning to have dinner there again in a few months, so hopefully you just had an off night. (although I am a little concerned about these stories about SciFi getting more common.)