PDA

View Full Version : Pleasure Island thoughts and memories...

JohnHMCWYG
09-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Pleasure Island is one of my favorite places at Walt Disney World. I'd like to talk about it a little.

One thing I remember was a Disney trip in 2001. It was my 12th grade year and I had turned 18 in 2000. I was still in school, but when I was on vacation, I went to Pleasure Island solo for the first time. It was awesome. It was great being in 8Trax, The Comedy Warehouse and the Adventurers' Club on my own.

I didn't go to Pleasure Island on the 2002 trip, but that was because I was unemployed after dropping out of college after only a month-and-a-half, due to various pressures. I had gotten a job in May of 2002 and so I was able to go to PI in 2003, and it was wonderful. The 2004 visit kicked butt, the 2005 visit not so much due to a personal issue I'd rather not discuss. We didn't go in 2006 due to dealing with my mom's cancer. The bills were a little heavy and so we weren't able to make the trip.

We went back this year, though, and I got to PI again. It was wonderful. I went 2 nights. On the first night, I went to the Comedy Warehouse for a show and then on to 8Trax (my favorite club). While wandering around the island, I was dancing to the music that was playing on the speakers throughout the island. I was dancing solo, but I managed to make people noticed. I was dancing to the music, and there were at least 30 people of all ages watching me dance. I even got a dollar from someone because of my dancing. The Comedy Warehouse was pretty decent. I think they did a good job with my suggestion.

I then went on to 8Trax and started tearing up the floor. Once again, I had people cheering me on. Having learned a lesson in 2005 about dancing with a woman, I asked a woman if she would be interested in dancing with me. She accepted and I was dancing with her a few minutes later. I was all over the floor and impressing everyone, including the drummer for an up-and-coming rock band called Leah Stargazing. It was wonderful.

The following night was spent exclusively at the Adventurers' Club. It was very enjoyable. The only exception was the drunken jerk who stumbled into the place and started making grand pronouncements. Not only was security called in on him, but the actors playing Pamelia and Emil that evening had to break character to help get him out.

I was weeping in fright. The guy really scared me. The actress playing Samantha Sterling that evening saw me crying. She asked me if I wanted some water. I said yes and the barkeep filled up a glass and handed it to her. As I was drinking, I asked her, out of character, how often that happens. She broke character when talking to me about it. She really calmed me down. She was concerned when she saw me later that night. She asked how I was doing. I said I was doing good. I asked for a hug and she consented. I felt better that evening.

It was enjoyable.

I do find myself thinking about how much the Adventurers' Club has changed. In its' first years, the references were set exclusively in the late 30s, much like the club. Now it's not uncommon to hear a Club member singing a few bars of a Journey song or two other members exchanging dialogue from a "Seinfeld" episode. It makes me wonder what the Club was like back in the late 80s and early 90s.

Also, I'd like to take control of the DJ booth at 8Trax for a night and play some lesser-known dance songs. Maybe mix in some Paul Hardcastle or Five Star alongside the bigger names. Of course, I'd have to have fans of more obscure stuff in there.

All in all, though, it's a great place to go and its' always a highlight of my visits.

So, do any of you have any Pleasure Island stories to tell, memories to share or things that you feel would improve the clubs?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Sorry for the long post. I just love PI so much.

Mollywobbles
10-21-2007, 02:18 AM
The only places that I go to on PI is Comedy Warehouse and the Adventurer's Club. I can't remember the year it was, but I remember going into the AC and walking into the main saloon. I was waiting for something to happen. I guess that I didn't catch on to what was happeing. We ended up walking out. I went back a few years later with my cousin. We went to one of the shows in the library and then left. Even though I was not there for long I did manage to catch on to what the club's premise was. The next time I went I took my mom. She turned about 3 shades of red when the masks in the Mask Room talked to her.

On subsequent trips I have grown to love the AC. I used to visit once a trip, but now I go at least twice. This past trip (Sept. 28-Oct. 4) I went 3 nights in a row. The first night I was there from open to close. I had an interesting encounter with Emil Bleehall (portrayed by Snoopy, btw) and I saw Blondie as Hathaway for the first time. During Hoopla the cast had a tribute to Epcot's 25th anniversary. It was a blast.

During my various visits to the club I have come to appreciate the small things about the club. I look forward to seeing a particular "snow bird" during my January trips (I wish that I could remember his name). I look forward to seeing who will be portraying a certain character each night. I've learned the actors stage names. I know the club song and salute by heart (I've almost got the club creed memorized). I've know even tried to spot the AC actors when they are performing in non-AC roles at other places in WDW. I even know the waitress and bartender's names (well, at least my favorite two). I could go on and on about the club.

I always ask people who I know go to WDW and I ask them if they've ever been to the AC. They always say no. I try to describe it to them, but it's hard to sum it up in just a few words. I wish that I could introduce them to the club in person. Of course, in some ways I don't want the word to spread about how much fun it is. Then it would get way too crowded. I love the size and intimacy of the club. The characters are able to be more personable with the guests because of it.

Kungaloosh!