PDA

View Full Version : How to make a successful FIRE

thrillme
09-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Here's an odd question with Survivor 15 starting up...

My son's in boy scouts and his scout master suggested that I work with him in how to make fire without matches. He gave me a few suggestions but...I'm not sure how successful they would be.

It's easy to look up on the internet and see what the EXPERTS say is a way to make fire...but for those of you who actually made fire...what do you say? No matches or lighter...and well...let's say no flint either. Following Survivor one year we went out and messed with the flint. My sister-in-law was successful..:camp:

PlutoToo
09-20-2007, 09:07 PM
More years ago than I'm willing to admit to, I always carried steel wool and a flashlight when I went backpacking. You take a piece of steel wool and pull it until it looks like a loose strand about 6 inches long then hold one end of the wool on the bottom of the flashlight battery. Gently strike the other end of the steel wool across the top nub of the battery. The wool will spark and start to smolder. Then use the smoldering wool to light the tinder and feed the flame. You might have to gently blow on the wool to keep it lit until the tinder catches. Is this clear as mud? :confused: Hope this helps. You can also use a magnifying glass to focus the sun's rays onto tinder. This one usually takes some time when I've tried it.

thrillme
09-21-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm going to have to give your battery deal a try this weekend. Hopefully I don't burn down my backyard :blush:

I know my DS would be so PROUD if he accomplishes this. I've tried the magnifying glass before and it can get "exhausting" especially if you're stuck with a cloudy day.

iheartmickey
09-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Google how to start a fire. I just did out of curiosity and it gives tons of cool (or hot! LOL) suggestions. I like and would actually try the shoestring bow one.

Very cool topic! :thumbsup: BTW, I love survivor and survivorman. :blush:

thrillme
09-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Funny you should mention Survivorman...it's a marathon on today. I'm learning lots of cool stuff.

I think the coolest thing I'm learning is that I'm good for a weekend camping trip with luxury items :D

I'm not so sure about doing some of the stuff these fellas do without a shot at a million dollar paycheck at the end of 39 days:thumbsup:

(I LOVE Survivor and I'm discovering Survivorman as we speak)

ariel03
09-24-2007, 03:15 PM
DH who is an eagle scout :camp: suggests you buy the Flint and steel set at any sporting goods store. He likes it cause he can keep it on his set of keys and dosn't cause any problems at security checks. All you need is a piece of steel to scrape against it.:thumbsup:

brownie
09-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival has some ideas on starting fires without using matches or a lighter.

Using a good fire lay and providing good tinder is important when you are trying to light a fire without matches or with only 1 match. Birch bark is really good, even when it's wet (here in Michigan we have to find it on the ground; you're not supposed to take it off a living tree.)

If it's sunny, you can always try using a tinder nest with a magnifying glass.

I checked the Boy Scout Handbook and Fieldbook and didn't find anything in them on it, but you might try checking the Fieldbook companion site, which you can access through the Boy Scouts website.

SAHDad
09-26-2007, 11:52 PM
Aside from flint & steel, the steel wool & battery trick, and the magnifying glass, there is also the bow method. It's hard work, but it can be done.