PDA

View Full Version : 8 nights at the Poly - some critiques

NJMan66
09-20-2007, 01:28 PM
I've posted what I loved about my recent vacation, now I want to provide some positive and negative constructive feedback regarding my experiences at the Poly.

1) Concierge was amazing. No matter what the request, they always tried to get you what your requested.

2) The rooms at this hotel are spacious! They also have enough storage space for you to unpack all your bags completely!

3) The pool slide is, IMHO, the best on Disney. They also have plenty of eating tables by the pool with umbrellas. I did find myself missing a hot tub every now and then.

4) The kids’ activities at the Poly were not as good as the AKL. AKL always had more stuff to do.

5) Captain Cook's may be too small for the size of this resort. I found that it got extremely crowded in the mornings to the point that people could barely move with their trays. Although I liked the whole computer screen process of placing your order, less tech savvy guests would take an inordinate amount of time ordering their food and would constantly get confused. Many times I wished there was a CM available to guide first time users and answer questions.

I also found the food selection at Captain Cook's to be very limited. I wish they offered more pre-made sandwiches and salads.

6) I felt the Spirit of Aloha Polynesian Luau was a total waste of money. For $236 for five people, I could have eaten at any restaurant in Orlando and got better food and service. The show was awful except for the fire dancer; and even with “preferred seating” my kids could barely see the show over the heads of the people in front of them. Further, when it is advertised drinks included, what they mean is flat Budweiser and $3 a bottle wine. I actually complained (nicely) and had the manager send us better stuff to drink. If I paid $150 for five people, then I think I would not have been so disappointed.

7) The bars at this hotel are the best. I loved sitting at the O’hanna bar drinking and watching the bartenders make all those cool drinks. On MNF I hung out with some guys from Dallas and NY and watched the game. That was a blast.

I hope you find these comments helpful.

SBETigg
09-20-2007, 02:11 PM
That was my impression of the Luau seventeen years ago, too. We have a fantastic local Polynesian revue (with good food) so the Polynesian's Luau didn't hold up. Too bad that didn't improve any. But the resort is amazing and we love it. Thanks for the critique.

IloveDisney71
09-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Thank for your review. We will be staying at the Poly for the first time in December. We won't be eating breakfast there or going to the laua, and my kids are too big for the kids activities. So I think we will have a good time with your review #'s 1,2,3, & 7! :thumbsup:

faline
09-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

ChipnDaleGal
09-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Sounds like overall your stay at the Poly was a very good one. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :mickey:

DisneyorBust
09-24-2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences from your trip.
We have been unsure about the Poly Luau, though we have it booked for our December vacation.

cal5755
09-24-2007, 10:01 AM
I am sorry about your luau experience! That is something we are going to try next year. I hope it is better then. I am glad you enjoyed the rest of the stay though!!