PDA

View Full Version : Blu Ray, HD DVD, or Regular DVD?

DizneyFreak2002
09-19-2007, 07:10 PM
I just bought a Playstation 3... As you know, PS3 is also a Blu Ray DVD player... I was thinking of going with Blu Ray DVDs now... But, I got into thinking... Blu Ray DVDs only play in Bl;u Ray DVD players.... in other words, I wouldn't be able to bring these DVDs with me when I travel because my portable DVD player is not blu ray.... How many of you went HD or Blu Ray DVD??? Also, what did you do with the DVDs you currently have?? Did you upgrade to Blu Ray or did you just keep the regular versions???? Also, did you buy double DVDs, like, the regular version as well as the Blu Ray so you can have the HD version and a regular version to use when traveling??? I'm so confused....:confused:

medic9016
09-19-2007, 08:20 PM
We have looked at the Blu Ray. We think in time the price will drop even more. There has already been some drop in price. I think if you can hold out and travel with regular DVD's, you will find some good deal later.

Epc0tphr34k
09-19-2007, 09:33 PM
as stated above blu ray is expected to drop around christmas , ps3 also expected to drop again in Q1.

i have 6 movies in blu ray and i love them but i have not gone out to replace my collection yet. so i guess right now my answer is mix blu ray with DVD. that is my plan for now at least. things that are epic that i want to see in hi def i buy on bluray i.e. both pirates movies, 300. most comedies and stuff i still buy regular dvd

DizneyRox
09-19-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm sticking with DVDs. They are universal, and honestly, outside of Sports and some cool Discovery stuff, HD is unnecessary. I think Howard Stern is right when he said, you don't want to see a lot of people in HD. It's not flattering...

Sony has a habit of creating "standards" that don't catch on. HD-DVD would be my choice, but neither is appealing right now. When I can EASILY make backup copies of MY movies, then I'll consider it. I've seen too many people's rugrats make coasters out of movies playing frisbee or sliding them across the room to go with something I can't make backups of.

caryrae
09-19-2007, 10:02 PM
I went HD DVD because I have an Xbox 360 and bought the add on HD DVD player for $120 on Ebay. I'm not sure about Blu-Ray but alot of HD DVD's have both the HD version and regular DVD version on the same disc, very good idea.

I know right now, if you have an Xbox 360, on Amazon dot com you can buy the HD DVD player add on for $179 and you get 7 free HD DVD movies pretty good deal

Speedy1998
12-03-2007, 10:14 PM
I just picked a side in the format war. I choose Blu-ray!!

Disneyrox, you are wrong the HDTV picture for movies is unbelivable. It makes the picture way better than watching the movies on SDTV.

I choose Blu-ray for a couple of reasons. 1. The technology is better (I realive betamax was better and that was Sony's baby too, but I figure they must have learned something from the last time around). 2. More of the major studios exclusively support Blu-ray including Disney. 3. Blockbuster is only carrying Blu-rays in their stores, they will not be carrying HD-DVD. and 4. Blu-ray is outselling HD-DVD 2:1 in the US, it has a 90% share of the market in Japan and Austrialia, and a 70% share of the market in Europe.

As far as DVDs go, I will not be replacing my collection, (I have close to 300). The Blu-ray player that I bought "up-converts" DVDs to an HD picture. For the most part is does a pretty good job of this, though some movies have looked a little grainy.

chrisb26
12-03-2007, 10:36 PM
I just picked a side in the format war. I choose Blu-ray!!

Disneyrox, you are wrong the HDTV picture for movies is unbelivable. It makes the picture way better than watching the movies on SDTV.

I choose Blu-ray for a couple of reasons. 1. The technology is better (I realive betamax was better and that was Sony's baby too, but I figure they must have learned something from the last time around). 2. More of the major studios exclusively support Blu-ray including Disney. 3. Blockbuster is only carrying Blu-rays in their stores, they will not be carrying HD-DVD. and 4. Blu-ray is outselling HD-DVD 2:1 in the US, it has a 90% share of the market in Japan and Austrialia, and a 70% share of the market in Europe.

As far as DVDs go, I will not be replacing my collection, (I have close to 300). The Blu-ray player that I bought "up-converts" DVDs to an HD picture. For the most part is does a pretty good job of this, though some movies have looked a little grainy.

I'd have to agree with you on this. I have had a PS3 since June but just recently finally picked up my first Blu-ray DVD's and i have to say if you have an HDTV to watch it on the picture looks amazing. Compared to watching it on a regular DVD.

I also am sure that some day regular DVD will go the what of VHS not soon but I do think it will happen. Especially with TV going HD soon I'm sure DVD's wont be far behind.

As for who is better Blu-Ray or HDDVD I would go with Blu-Ray it seems to be winning right now. Disney is exclusive Blu-Ray which is always a plus however when I go to the store I tend to find way more Blu-Ray movies then I do HDDVDs

That being said I don't plan on replacing my entire collection of movies since I do have lots I'm also not sure if all the movies I but will be Blu-Ray from now on. They are still a bit expensive for me but I'm sure they will go down. I did pre-order Pirates 3 on Blu-Ray.