PDA

View Full Version : Kid Nation

DMApixie
09-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Just curious. Is anyone planning on watching this show? It premieres tonight.

40 children, 40 days, no adults —
eager to prove they can build a better world for tomorrow in the new reality series KID NATION.

Settling in Bonanza City, New Mexico, once a thriving mining town but now deserted, these Kids, ages 8 to 15 and from all walks of life, will build their own new world, pioneer-style. They will confront grown-up issues while coping with the classic childhood emotions of homesickness, peer pressure and the urge to break every rule. Episodes end with a town meeting in which the kids award one child a gold star worth $20,000, all leading to the grand finale, with an unimaginable test, the biggest awards and a special surprise for every child.

KarenP
09-19-2007, 07:16 PM
I was really not planning on watching but I might tune in for the first episode just to see what it is like.

NotaGeek
09-19-2007, 07:38 PM
There is too much good TV on to add this to the list. I will pass ... they should have been smart and started it mid-season when we are all bored and craving something new.

Carol
09-20-2007, 08:30 AM
I recorded it after seeing a couple of the kids, and their parents, on Ellen. I plan on watching with my 13 y/o.

I always worry about getting into a new show and having it canceled. Hopefully we'll get to see this from start to finish.

Melanie
09-20-2007, 08:35 AM
My boys just finished watching, and they liked it, especially my 9 year old.

ChipnDaleGal
09-20-2007, 08:52 AM
I am passing on this one. It is hard enough to watch adults go through this kind of show. I just don't think I have the stones to watch kids do it.

goofysbabe
09-20-2007, 09:30 AM
I taped it and watched it while getting ready for work this morning. I thought it was a good show and will make sure my 2 younger child watch (7 & 9). I think it will be interesting to see how they do things and see what my children say how they would do things. I hope that it's not cancelled I'd like to see it thru to the finish.

thrillme
09-20-2007, 09:48 AM
I don't foresee it finishing but I did watch it with my 11 year old last night. He was rather intrigued. I felt sorry for the little guy but I think he made a good decision.

Supposedly child advocacy groups are up in arms about this. I don't see why. It really doesn't look much worse than summer camp and the kids learn a lot about leadership. Right now I'm a little disappointed in the oldest teens...I guess I expect a little more out of them. Maybe after last night when they realized what COULD potentially happen for them they might take things a little more seriously.

I'm a MAJOR Survivor nut. I've watched it pretty much from the beginning (I came in half-way of the first episode). I always have my doubts in the beginning but it always sways me. Maybe because I really like the host Jeff's dimples...:blush:

PrincessEmmasMommy
09-20-2007, 10:33 AM
I was really impressed by the show. I am sure there are grown-ups there supervising behind the scenes. Someone has to tape it and produce it and stage everything so I'm sure they aren't unsupervised like the child advocacy groups are in an uproar about.
Jen

NotaGeek
09-20-2007, 11:35 AM
I recorded it after seeing a couple of the kids, and their parents, on Ellen. I plan on watching with my 13 y/o.

Of course your 13 year old would have been Mayor, or at the very least the sheriff. Tell him hi! :wave:

My boys just finished watching, and they liked it, especially my 9 year old.
Ok, so it really irritates me that THIS is the show that your crazy TV provider decided to air in real time! ugh. :confused:

Now I wish I had watched it.

SBETigg
09-20-2007, 11:40 AM
I can't get into this because it's a false premise. The kids are competing in challenges designed by adults for rewards being offered by adults. This shapes their behavior and motivations. There are adults all around from camera crew to first aid.

I wouldn't recommend just sending a tribe of kids into wilderness to run wild, but that would be a true social experiment. If the challenges and rewards weren't involved but they asked the kids to actually form their own society and adults stood back and just observed, that could be interesting. The way they are hyping the show as kids ruling themselves and making all their own decisions is not honest. It's all for shock value and ratings, and that seems exploitative to me.

NotaGeek
09-20-2007, 11:48 AM
I was really impressed by the show. I am sure there are grown-ups there supervising behind the scenes. Someone has to tape it and produce it and stage everything so I'm sure they aren't unsupervised like the child advocacy groups are in an uproar about.
Jen

The production staff did not allow the New Mexico State Government on site to ensure that the children were safe, being taken care of regarding children's labor laws, etc. Evidently the parents of all the kids basically gave the show full power of authority to deal with the kids welfare. Now WHAT parent would do that that wasn't just wanting their kid on TV? Wierd! I will try and find an article or something about it for you guys...

NotaGeek
09-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Forty Kids Are Given 40 Days to Start a New Society and Their Parents Agreed

Aug. 23, 2007 —

New CBS reality series "Kid Nation" is at the center of controversy.

The show features 40 children, ages 8 to 15, placed in the New Mexico desert with the goal of creating a society. And it's all in an effort to win tens of thousands of dollars in prize money.

The show has raised questions about whether child labor laws were violated and whether or not the children were exploited.

In the spring, a group of parents waved goodbye to their kids and put them in the hands of a television production company for six weeks.

For 40 days, the 40 kids worked to build their own society, free of adult influence and free of many modern-day luxuries: no electricity, no indoor bathrooms and no school. The contestants worked from sunup to sundown every single day  prompting the initial controversy.

At the beginning of filming in April, New Mexico's Workforce Solutions Department received a tip from California, suggesting that it send inspectors to the set to investigate whether child labor laws were being broken.

But the inspectors never made it onto the property. A spokesman for the Workforce Solutions Department says CBS never told any state authority what was happening at the ranch.

"It wasn't until midway through the production that we learned they were actually out there," said Carlos Castaneda of the New Mexico State Labor Department. "We had no idea and that's very unusual when a production comes into New Mexico."

In May, another anonymous complaint came that children "were unattended" and four children had accidentally "drank bleach" while one was "burned in her face with hot grease."

"It sounds to me like these kids were exploited. Think about it. If we have child actors on a movie set or a TV show, their hours, their working conditions are very carefully regulated by the state," Court TV anchor and former civil rights lawyer Lisa Bloom said. "They have to have tutors on the set. These kids were six weeks away from school."

By the time the local sheriff's department tried to investigate, production on the show had ended.

In a statement, CBS says, "The few minor injuries that took place were all treated immediately and by professionals."

Additionally, "Kid Nation" was "filmed responsibly and within all applicable laws," the statement said.

The show's producer conceded, however, that CBS may not have been able to film so easily under stricter laws in other states.

"Kids were in good hands and under good care. & The overwhelming majority of kids are highly enthusiastic and happy," the CBS statement said.

"When you've got kids involved, it does cross a line. It's different. Consenting adults  if you want to make them eat flies or run around in the sand half-naked, they agree to do it. Children is different," said Howard Kurtz, Washington Post media reporter.

Before the children began filming, every parent signed a 22-page contract. After reviewing a copy, The New York Times reported parents had agreed to allow their kids to "do whatever they were told to do by the show's producers, 24 hours a day, seven days a week or risk expulsion from the show."

"There are certain rights that children have, that parents cannot sign away. And if the parents want to file a lawsuit, that can't be signed away by a waiver form," Bloom said.

The contract also included a confidentiality clause, which, according to the Times, extends for three years and carries a $5 million penalty.

When ABC News contacted CBS to speak to parents involved in the show, CBS refused.

NotaGeek
09-20-2007, 11:55 AM
SANTA FE, New Mexico (AP) -- A CBS reality series in which youngsters run their own town has prompted complaints from one of the children's parents, and may have skirted New Mexico's child-protection laws.

"Kid Nation," slated to premiere September 19, was filmed over 40 days during April and May in a movie-set town in the high desert just south of Santa Fe.

While parents and children made available by CBS praised the production as safe, well-supervised and a learning experience, one mother has told authorities the conditions warrant an abuse investigation.

Janis Miles of Fayetteville, Georgia, said in a letter that her 12-year-old daughter, Divad Miles, was spattered on her face with grease while cooking potatoes on a wood stove, and that four other children required medical attention after they accidentally drank bleach.

Her daughter also had a rash that had caused scarring, and sunburn on her face and hands, Miles wrote.

Miles declined to talk to a reporter, referring calls to CBS. VideoWatch why some people are complaining over the kids' treatment »

Tom Forman, the show's executive producer, confirmed the grease-spattering and bleach-sipping incidents, but called them the kinds of accidents that can happen "in any kitchen, in any school, in any home, in any camp" and said that the children immediately got medical attention.

Forman said adults were present at all times during the production, ready to step in.

CBS said paramedics, a pediatrician, an animal safety expert, a child psychologist and a "roster of producers" were onsite, too. Children were required to arrange with their school districts to make up missed work, the network said.

"There's an unhappy parent, and in retrospect it was probably a bad match. ... This seems to be a parent who regrets the decision to sign her child up for Kid Nation," Forman said.

The children in the show, ages 8-15, hauled water, prepared meals, elected a government and passed laws.

"The whole concept of the show is 40 kids who build a world of their own," Forman said.

The children are to be paid $5,000 apiece when the series airs, and one child per episode was awarded a solid-gold star by the town's elected government worth $20,000, Forman said.

Miles complained to a sheriff in Georgia in June, and her letter was forwarded to Santa Fe County Sheriff Greg Solano, who said his office investigated and found "no prosecutable evidence of neglect or abuse."

"I never for one instant felt uncomfortable or unsafe," said Michael, a 14-year-old participant who lives near Seattle. "We did do some physical work, but it wasn't like we were chained to water buckets all day."

According to documents obtained from the New Mexico attorney general's office, parents signed a 22-page agreement in which they waived their rights to sue the network or production company if their children died or were injured. The agreement also acknowledged that the participants "will have no privacy," except while using bathrooms or changing rooms.

"The series was filmed responsibly and within all applicable laws in the state of New Mexico at the time of the production," CBS said in a statement.

Daphne, a Chicago mother, said her 14-year-old son, DK, accidentally used bleach when he was mixing a soda drink but felt fine after he tasted it. She said the show was an opportunity for her son to meet kids from other backgrounds.

State officials were largely unaware that the production was under way on the privately owned Bonanza Creek Movie Ranch. The state Film Office knew a "highly confidential" TV reality show would be shot there, but the office required no permits for it.

There are "congregate care" state licensing requirements when children are in group settings, according to the Children, Youth and Families Department, which didn't learn of the production until it was over.

New Mexico's child labor laws were changed as of June 15 to mirror California's requirements for child actors, because of the burgeoning film industry in the state.

But labor laws were in force during the filming, restricting the types of work children could do and hours they could work, and mandating work permits.

Lawyers for Good TV, Inc., the show's producer, told state officials that the "Kid Nation" children were not actors but rather were "volunteer contestants/participants" not required to have work permits.

The state Attorney General's office disputed the production company's interpretation but said the issue was moot because filming had concluded and any future productions would fall under the new law.

New Mexico has been promoting itself as a film location and 16 film or television productions are in the works right now, said the Film Office's director, Lisa Strout.

"This was our first experience with reality TV," said Strout, who said it was "questionable" whether the production complied with applicable state laws. "There's not any precedent to rely on. ... It's a breed unto itself that the whole industry is really looking at."

RenDuran
09-20-2007, 12:16 PM
The show bored me to tears, but my 8-year-old daughter just loved it. Go figure!

AvonleaCF
09-20-2007, 12:54 PM
I watched because of all the hype, and I actually liked it! I was really proud of some of the decisions the kids made. For example they chose extra outhouses as a prize instead of a television. And they gave the "gold star" award to a girl who clearly deserved it, even though a few of them thought she was a bit annoying and bossy. Obviously there was drama with a bully and the little kids versus the big kids, but overall I liked it and will continue to watch.

I saw two of the kids with their parents on Ellen, which is probably what also made me think it was okay. Apparently the audition process was huge. The parents felt it was safe and received phone calls every 3 days with reports. There were medics and a psychologist backstage at all times. And the kids always have the option of going home (which the youngest child chose after the 3rd day).

I don't see it as "child labor," as a lot of the criticism calls it. I think it is a great learning experience and I know I would have benefited from it when I was that age! They're learning very important life skills. How to cook and clean and look after themselves and learn teamwork and the value of money. How to get along without modern conveniences. Actually the ONLY thing that was said that distrubed was when this girl said, "I'm a beauty queen and beauty queens don't do dishes."

2Epcot
09-20-2007, 01:16 PM
I was not sure I was going to watch this .... Like others have said there are so many shows on right now. This is the time of year I'm recording things on all 3 of my DVRs almost every night. I was lucky that my work recored the show too, so I just finished watching it here ... That gets one show out of the way.

I enjoyed the show quite a bit. I liked it much more then I thought I would. It was interesting to see the kids work together, and I was impressed how two of the older kids really took on the leadership role to get things organized. I was also impressed with a lot of the younger kids as well.

I was just talking to someone behind the scenes on the show, who said they are a little worried about how people will react to the show. I guess the ratings were good, but not great. Overall the person said they were happy how the first show turned out. Personally I found the show more interesting then the last few Survivors I've watched. I guess that's why I gave up on Survivor a several seasons ago ... though I will watch Survivor China

thrillme
09-20-2007, 01:41 PM
The whole "child labor" thing is SILLY. It's not like they're in "sweat shops", chained to the tables to keep them from escaping.

In the old days we used to call the things "I" saw them doing...CHORES...

An accident while cooking. Well that can happen anytime a good parent teaches them to cook. The bleach incident...I really don't know much about HOW that actually occured except that the previous poster stated he accidently mixed some in a soda. I know many a military man who in the old days would mix a little bleach in water when they were abroad on manuvers to decontaminate the water. (FYI...there's plenty of "clorine" in swimming pools...and it's very dangerous in it's pure form but no big deal diluted)

I'm a little uncomfortable with them missing as much school as they did. I feel guilty planning on taking my DS out of school next year '08 for two days to go to Disney (I want to see Disney at Halloween at least once).

Ian
09-20-2007, 02:39 PM
No interest from me. I'm sure I'm jumping to conclusions, but this show seems just a tad too exploitive for my liking.

KarenP
09-20-2007, 04:12 PM
I watched and while it was a bit better than I expected, I doubt I will watch any more.

Melanie
09-20-2007, 05:38 PM
Ok, so it really irritates me that THIS is the show that your crazy TV provider decided to air in real time! ugh. :confused:

Yep, THIS show got quick turnaround here, and the last Amazing Race did not. Go figure! :shake:

Carol
09-20-2007, 09:12 PM
They're replaying the first episode on Saturday, Michael. I'd give it a look.

JanetMegan
09-21-2007, 08:35 AM
I watched this on the DVR last night without high expectations and actually really enjoyed it. The kids were cute, said cute kid things. I thought the challenges were appropriate as were the prizes. I was surprised they gave Sophia the star even though she spoke out against the coucilbut kudos to the council for recognizing her hard work...I'll give it a few more weeks for sure.

bleukarma
09-24-2007, 01:44 PM
I watched in on tivo and I liked it more then I expected I would. The kids were making some good grown-up decisions. They said cute things. It's interesting. I'll probably continue to record it.

I thought they filmed this in the summer, I don't know about pulling kids out of school to do it. I don't have kids but if I did I would be iffy about letting them do this and it would be a big NO if I found out they had to miss school.

Disney Babe
09-25-2007, 03:20 AM
I wasn't interested in it until it made the news. I wouldn't watch it anyway. Personally, I think all the Survivor type shows are a waste and I would like to see real shows fill their slots. Shows with writers and actors. But, as far as this show goes I am following the news about it, that's where my interest is. I'm not too much into that either, but if there is ever a law suit and it lands on Court TV (where the real reality shows are) then I will be right there watching!

I too think it is explotive. I also think that child labor laws were broken. Most of us are just out of touch with the reason why child labor laws were put into place and what they are. We think that nothing can go wrong if children are entrusted to adults.

The parents who signed the release were irresponsible and ridiculous. Signing a contract that says you will not sue if your child dies in their care!

MNNHFLTX
09-25-2007, 02:01 PM
I had heard about a lot of the negative press this show got before it aired, so I tried to keep an open mind when watching it. I was somewhat pleasantly surprised. There was some of the expected drama, but the kids overall were resourceful and interesting. The one thing that got me was little Jimmy, sobbing off by himself. No way could I, as a parent, have allowed my son to be a part of something like that at such a young age. I'm glad he ended up going home, but it absolutely broke my heart to see him going through that. I used to be a camp counselor and we didn't even take children that young at the camp because it really is just too hard on them.

chrisb26
09-27-2007, 12:00 AM
Intresting episode tonight with them dealing having to kill the chicken.

Also is anybody as tired of miss "I'm a beauty queen I have to do no work" as I am? She so annoys me she does nothing for the town. What is even worse is she is one of the council members I wish they could get new ones or vote people out lol

Her entire thing tonight with but where the youngest was I don't think right to say considering the entire reason they are even doing this is to prove that age doesn't matter.

thrillme
09-27-2007, 03:32 PM

Somehow I must have missed that part. What was the outcome?

I don't think I could handle my boy being away from me for that long (one week of summer camp was enough, my boyfriend said I was a roller coaster of emotions he could easily tell when I was getting depressed)...but it does seem good for the kids.

AvonleaCF
09-27-2007, 05:50 PM
Taylor needs a good, strong kick in the you-know-where.

But other than her, I'm really liking the show. I bet the producers made sure they had plenty of kids from farming backgrounds when they did the selections. Not many 9-15 year-olds would know how to slaugher, feather, and gut a chicken like that (I know I wouldn't!).

I thought Emilie was being a bit annoying. She said she grew up on a farm so I couldn't understand why she was so against killing a chicken. But I'm glad she stayed.

And how cute were Mallory and her friend for putting up a stuffed pet business? Too cute.

And I was so rooting for the green team! I love both Laurel and Sophia and really wanted them to beat the yellow team! I'm getting too addicted to this show for my own good. And too bad they lost out on the pumps.

I'm looking forward to next week. And hoping Greg won't be too much of a sore loswer over the whole gold star thing (though I think he deserved it more than Michael, but whatever).

2Epcot
10-01-2007, 12:26 AM

Also is anybody as tired of miss "I'm a beauty queen I have to do no work" as I am? She so annoys me she does nothing for the town. What is even worse is she is one of the council members I wish they could get new ones or vote people out.

Taylor needs a good, strong kick in the you-know-where.

But other than her, I'm really liking the show.

And I was so rooting for the green team! I love both Laurel and Sophia and really wanted them to beat the yellow team! I'm getting too addicted to this show for my own good. And too bad they lost out on the pumps.

The chicken killing was kind of hard to watch, that would have been hard for me to do, but I know it's part of life ... I eat chicken as well.

I agree with both of you on Taylor. Sometimes she can be a good leader and acts more mature then her 10 years, then other times she is very spoiled, and seems to act her age or younger.

I was also hoping the green team would win. I like both Laurel and Sophia as well. I think everyone would enjoy the green team cooking the food.

Marker
10-01-2007, 02:01 PM
No.

mttafire
10-01-2007, 05:04 PM
I wasn't interested in it until it made the news. I wouldn't watch it anyway. Personally, I think all the Survivor type shows are a waste and I would like to see real shows fill their slots. Shows with writers and actors. But, as far as this show goes I am following the news about it, that's where my interest is. I'm not too much into that either, but if there is ever a law suit and it lands on Court TV (where the real reality shows are) then I will be right there watching!

I too think it is explotive. I also think that child labor laws were broken. Most of us are just out of touch with the reason why child labor laws were put into place and what they are. We think that nothing can go wrong if children are entrusted to adults.

The parents who signed the release were irresponsible and ridiculous. Signing a contract that says you will not sue if your child dies in their care!
Id like to argue a few points....
1. Exploitive? Not at all. Its entertainment, No one was forced..FREE WILL.
2. Like it or not reality shows are incredible popular and PROFITABLE. They wont be going anywhere anytime soon. "untill they arent profitable'
3. Child labor laws broken..:confused::laughing:..
All the things these kids did are CHORES. All kids should have responsibilty and work to do. IMHO, It builds character and good work ethic.
Anyways, I DO respect your opinion...I just completely disagree with it. Peace.

Disney Babe
10-02-2007, 01:51 AM
It certainly doesn't sound like you respect my opinion. You simply disagree it with and think I am wrong and have stated so strongly rather than respectfully.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to look up the history of child labor laws as they relate to the entertainment industry. Once you do, please point out the differences here. Especially in regards to the parents signing contracts that release the entertainment company from liability in the death or injury of their children.

"Like it or not....." Why? Profitable? Aren't going anyway? What, so I should fall in line and like or accept it?

I'm entiled to dislike this form of "entertainment" if I choose to. I'm entiled to say my opinion. Even if something is profitable and popular, not all of us have to like it.

mttafire
10-02-2007, 10:15 AM
It certainly doesn't sound like you respect my opinion. You simply disagree it with and think I am wrong and have stated so strongly rather than respectfully.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to look up the history of child labor laws as they relate to the entertainment industry. Once you do, please point out the differences here. Especially in regards to the parents signing contracts that release the entertainment company from liability in the death or injury of their children.

"Like it or not....." Why? Profitable? Aren't going anyway? What, so I should fall in line and like or accept it?

I'm entiled to dislike this form of "entertainment" if I choose to. I'm entiled to say my opinion. Even if something is profitable and popular, not all of us have to like it.
You are absolutely right. Different strokes for different folks.
No one said you have to like it or accept it. I simply said it "reality shows" arent going away...Like it or NOT.
The child labor laws...Im sure the lawers were well involved to begin with, They always are.
You ARE intitled to your opinion...I just choose to completely disagree.

P.S. Knots Landing....Now thats a show!! Bring it back...

thrillme
10-04-2007, 09:52 AM
It looked like there was a lot more tension in the groups last night. I think I would have just about slugged those boys playing in the flour. :mad: what a mess they made.

I do find it interesting how many of the older kids are so caring about the little ones.

I think I would have chosen the Pizza over the microwave.

That one council member girl is getting a little too bossy.

AvonleaCF
10-04-2007, 12:16 PM
I didn't feel sorry for Taylor when she started crying. But from the previews for next week it doesn't look like she'll improve.

I'm so glad they have the award to Mallory! She's so cute and always willing to help. Good for them.

As for the pizza vs. microwave, I actually thought Taylor was the most level-headed, explaining the want vs. the need.

I do hope Greg can get a Gold Star. If we can continue to help without losing his temper the others will vote for him.

Mike is getting on my nerves. Actually of all the counsil members I think Laurel is the only one doing a good job. I'd replace the other three.

And can I please make a request that people not bash the show as "child exploitation" unless they've actually watched an episode? Thanks.

thrillme
10-04-2007, 12:25 PM
And can I please make a request that people not bash the show as "child exploitation" unless they've actually watched an episode? Thanks.

I have got to totally agree with you...these kids are at about the equivalent of "camp".

If anyone has ever attended a Boy Scout camp I can tell you that quite often the BOYS are the ones doing the cooking, cleaning, fire building...and even more...I think for the most part they are really enjoying it with an occasional "homesick" issue.

They certianly look "revived" when they have their shot at the "gold star". I know my DS is really enjoying it.

2Epcot
10-04-2007, 04:37 PM
I didn't feel sorry for Taylor when she started crying. But from the previews for next week it doesn't look like she'll improve.

I'm so glad they have the award to Mallory! She's so cute and always willing to help. Good for them.

I didn't feel sorry for Taylor either, it was about time she got a wake up call about her behavior. In each episode there are times I really like Taylor, and then other points where I can stand how she acts.

I was also happy with Mallory getting the gold star. He coversation with her parents was nice. I thought the other girl they were considering would have been a good choice as well.

NotaGeek
10-08-2007, 12:39 AM
I really can't decide if I actually like this show or not. The little diary moments seem SO scripted. And Taylor is a brat, and i think Greg really got the shaft not getting the gold star. He seems to work really hard, and does stuff that no ones else does. I think it's admirable that even though he admits he is working for the star he realizes that since he's definitely older than everyone, he knows he needs that money to go to COLLEGE. He's not a bad kid, he's just at that awkward adolescent stage where the kid inside him is confused by the need to be more grown up.

I am going to give it one more week.

kim1st
10-08-2007, 09:05 AM
I just marathon watched the first three episodes on my DVR. The first one almost lost me - pretty boring - but I'm glad I stuck with it.

I was going to let my DD5 watch, but I changed my mind. Partly because of the chicken killing thing, largely because of them having to bleep Greg's mouth all the time, and now also because of all of the "soda chugging".

Does that bother anyone else, or am I just getting prudish in my old age?

:soapbox: I know they're only drinking soda, but it's like they're IMITATING alcohol drinking...they were even making "virgin depth charges" where they were dropping a shot (complete with shot glasses) into their soda. At another point they were all encouraging another child to "chug, chug, chug, chug"...:beer:

I think it holds some kind of nice lessons for children, and I'm really impressed with some of the things they're doing - the bedtime thing blew me away. It's certainly a lot healthier for them than Survivor, which a lot of young kids are watching.

(Not knocking Survivor - I love it myself - I just don't think it's appropriate for young kids. Especially this season where no one seems to have any clothes!!!)

I had my concerns that it might be exploitative, but I'm not finding that to be the case as I watch. I was relieved to see that they give the kids the opportunity to opt out every week.

I'm rooting for Morgan to get her gold star...and I hope that Greg has a nice shining moment from an attitude perspective where they're able to reward him with one too...

(What was the name of the guy in Lord of the Flies who eventually killed Piggy??? I fear that's Greg...)

BTW - thank god for DVR - I fast forwarded through the whole chicken thing....

Well - there's one thing to be said - that show certainly inspires a lot of discussion!!!!

Disney Babe
10-09-2007, 04:27 AM
You are absolutely right. Different strokes for different folks.
No one said you have to like it or accept it. I simply said it "reality shows" arent going away...Like it or NOT.
The child labor laws...Im sure the lawers were well involved to begin with, They always are.
You ARE intitled to your opinion...I just choose to completely disagree.

P.S. Knots Landing....Now thats a show!! Bring it back...

I wouldn't say different strokes for different folks. That's not me. But, why make a big deal if I don't like the show, or any reality show. With all due respect, I don't care if you disagree with me or my opinion. I didn't say it to have anyone agree or disagree. I simply said it. It's your right to disagree with me and it's your right to think the way you do. Please do not tell me it's my right to have my opinion, it is not necessary.

Approval neither desired or required, like it or NOT.

The objective truth is that someday something will replace reality shows, or perhaps they will have there own network. There are many old shows and old genres, such as westerns, that I have loved and they have lost their popularity. That's entertainment. Sorry, but, like it or not entertainment is a changing field and shows we love now are passee sometime down the road.

Melanie
10-09-2007, 04:34 AM
Moderator Alert!

Alright folks, let's stay on track, which is discussion of Kid Nation.

I understand the controversy at the beginning, but we are "into" the season now, and this thread (as all other ongoing threads about TV shows) will serve as discussion of the aired episodes. We aren't here to discuss like or dislike of reality programming.

Please stay on topic!

JanetMegan
10-09-2007, 10:39 AM
and now also because of all of the "soda chugging".

Does that bother anyone else, or am I just getting prudish in my old age?

:soapbox: I know they're only drinking soda, but it's like they're IMITATING alcohol drinking...they were even making "virgin depth charges" where they were dropping a shot (complete with shot glasses) into their soda. At another point they were all encouraging another child to "chug, chug, chug, chug"...:beer:
!

I'm with you 100% on this. I just watched this episode last night and I was really bothered by this. I'm sure some of the parents would be too (thinking of Mallory and Olivia etc.) I'm sure that this was "encouraged" by the people who produced the show, but just seemed wrong to me.

AvonleaCF
10-09-2007, 05:22 PM
I'm with you 100% on this. I just watched this episode last night and I was really bothered by this. I'm sure some of the parents would be too (thinking of Mallory and Olivia etc.) I'm sure that this was "encouraged" by the people who produced the show, but just seemed wrong to me.

Oh, I dunno, seems like normal adolescent behavior to me. I remember doing that kind of thing when I was in camp. We never related it to alcohol; it was just chugging juice/soda for fun.

And do we really know how much influence the producers had on the kids? How much adult involvement there was? Other than the highly scripted book they read from every few days and the guy that hosts the show-downs, I was led to believe the kids are pretty much left to their own devices.

LauraleeH
10-09-2007, 06:15 PM
I noticed that, too. Can't say I find it "cute" or anything, but I won't stop watching it. I like the show.

If Greg keeps up his cursing and Taylor keeps up with her mouth, I probably will get sick of it and turn it off.

Otherwise, I really like the show. I like Olivia and Mallory. Sweet kids.

AvonleaCF
10-11-2007, 01:10 PM
So the kids chose religious books over mini golf. A lot of parents have got to be proud now.

I was very upset that so many of the kids weren't willing to tolerate other religions. Goes to show that some parents/churches/etc. still don't educate about other beliefs, which is sad. And they were so shocked that Genesis in both the Torah and the Bible are the same! How could they NOT know that?

But anyway I'm still liking the show. Taylor needs to be replaced ASAP, so I'm really looking forward to next week's election. I hope Laurel and Anjay stay in the counsil, and Taylor is replaced with Alex and Mike is replaced with someone else on the red team (I don't like Mike; he's too whiny).

And what's up with green in those show downs?!? I hope they can pull through at least once!

Olivia is getting on my nerves. And poor Greg; I hope he gets that gold star soon.

Hammer
10-11-2007, 02:16 PM
I have been trying to watch this (though I think Pushing Daisies is going to win out) but the way some of these kids think really bothers me. The lack of acceptance of different religions was very unsettling. It just shows me how much ignorance is taught at home...

mjaclyn
10-11-2007, 03:09 PM
I do like this show but Taylor gets more irritating every week. She should definitely have to work just like everyone else. It will be interesting to see if her attitude changes when she's not re-elected.

bleukarma
10-12-2007, 01:03 PM
I bet Taylor's parents are so embarrassed over her "I don't have to work, I don't have to cook, and if you don't like it then get over it" attitude! At least I hope they would be embarrassed! There is no chance of her becoming re-elected next week! I wonder who they'll pick?

I have to admit that I kind of like how they handled religion. I didn't like how close-minded they were of other religions, but in the end they got together and prayed and did their own ceremony. I don't think any of those kids have reached the age where they are curious about other religions, right now they just do what they know. And they chose the religious books, which was a big surprise to me!! Hopefully looking at the other books will open their minds up.

I think the girl that won the gold star (I forgot her name) deserved it. It seems like she is always there to pick up people's spirits and she always pitches in to help. I do hope that Greg gets the gold star at some point. He deserves it. I don't like how Mike keeps saying "he's just working hard to get the gold star." But he's still working hard, whether he's doing it for the star or not.

2Epcot
10-12-2007, 06:01 PM
So the kids chose religious books over mini golf. A lot of parents have got to be proud now.

I was very upset that so many of the kids weren't willing to tolerate other religions. Goes to show that some parents/churches/etc. still don't educate about other beliefs, which is sad.

The parents were happy, and I'm sure the production crew was too. They didn't have to set up a mini golf course in the middle of the town.

Kids are just going to reflect what they know or are exposed to, usually from parents. There are many adults with the same feelings.

And what's up with green in those show downs?!? I hope they can pull through at least once!.

I always feel bad for the green team, and root for them to win. I really wanted to see the yellow team as laborers.

Poor Greg; I hope he gets that gold star soon.

Greg has been working hard, but he has been his worse enemy. I think he will have to prove himself for a while to earn a gold star.

I bet Taylor's parents are so embarrassed over her "I don't have to work, I don't have to cook, and if you don't like it then get over it" attitude! At least I hope they would be embarrassed! There is no chance of her becoming re-elected next week! I wonder who they'll pick?

Taylor keeps mentioning that she is a pagaent queen, so that is probably the life she is used to ... People give her things and she doesn't have to work very hard. I would also like to see her replaced on the council.

kim1st
10-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Again...the soda out of shot glasses bugged me...and this time, Taylor actually kind of looked, well...all Paris Hilton sitting there drinking...all she needed was a cigarette and designer pocketbook.

I'd hate to see her mother...like a previous poster said, kids don't come up with that kind of behavior on their own.

Now - to be more positive - I thought it was great that the kids finally started respecting each others religious beliefs and recognized that they can respect them without adopting them or betraying their own beliefs.

AND - I hope that Taylor will come to her senses once she's dethroned and truly has to rough it a little bit...maybe she can help with the clean up the next time a big windstorm blows over the outhouses...

OK - last thought, I promise...with 50 states and 40 kids...how are there so many from Massachusetts???? I've counted at least 3!

Melanie
10-18-2007, 08:15 AM
Deal with it, Taylor.

mjaclyn
10-18-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm happy that Zach was voted to council instead of Taylor. Hopefully she'll start pulling her weight!

I was very surprised to see all the blue district members who voted for Anjay. I think Olivia would have done a much better job.

AvonleaCF
10-18-2007, 02:44 PM
I was so glad Olivia didn't win! I don't like her at all. She's so snobby and has a hollier-than-thou attitude. I don't think Anjay's that great, either, but I'd rather see him stay than her take over.

Yay Zach! Boo Taylor!

Don't know how Guylan will be, but oh man, poor Mike! I don't like him, he's too whiny and always wants the "fun" reward over the practical one, but no one voted for him (but himself)! How sad!

Yay for Laurel!

And gosh the rewards are getting hard to chose, aren't they? Those burgers looked good. :)

And I'm starting to get tired with the predictable format of the show: read the journal and implement what it says; grudge over jobs; have a show-down; town meeting.

But I'll watch until the end.

thrillme
10-18-2007, 03:15 PM
My son is the average age range of these kids. He really gets involved in the show. He enjoys it. In a way a lot of it is regular drama that goes on in school and student concil.

The soda chugging thing I didn't really bother me so much. I remember chugging soda as a kid and having a burping contest afterwards.

bleukarma
10-18-2007, 03:20 PM
I was starting to think that Taylor was going to win with the popular votes vs. the practical votes! I’m glad Zack ran and won!!! He seems like a little politician (in a good way) himself! It looks like next week he’s going to implement a “if you don’t work you don’t get paid rule.” Good!!!!!

Yeah, I don’t know where Guylan came from. I kind of liked Mike. He is whiny and I hate how he never wanted to recognize the hard work that Greg does, but I actually thought he was a decent leader for his age. I guess we’ll see how Guylan will do!

I’m kind of happy Laurel got to stay on council, I think she’s a very good leader!

I’m so happy Anjay won over Olivia!!! She is so mean to Anjay, and for no apparent reason! I think she’s just jealous that Anjay is the leader and she isn’t…which is why she ran against him. But just because you don’t agree with one person’s way of doing things doesn’t mean you have to be out-right rude to them (something that some people never learn, even as adults).

I think it would’ve been hard for me to not pick the meat as a reward this time!!! They don’t have a jail yet…I think I would’ve taken a hot dog and ran! Haha

Go Greg for finally getting the (much deserved) gold star!!!! I kind of wanted to see more clips of him telling his parents at the end. It was nice to see him comforting the little girl that got her poster ripped off. Also…did you notice how Taylor had the girl that made the poster go after the guy that ripped it up? The poster was FOR Taylor, therefore I think it was Taylor’s responsibility to go after the offender! But just like usual she sent other people to do her dirty work.

LauraleeH
10-19-2007, 12:42 AM
Also…did you notice how Taylor had the girl that made the poster go after the guy that ripped it up? The poster was FOR Taylor, therefore I think it was Taylor’s responsibility to go after the offender! But just like usual she sent other people to do her dirty work. [/FONT]
I started laughing at that part!!! Oh, silly beauty queen :ack:
At least Taylor seemed to deal with losing better than Mike did. Never did like him much.

I wanted Olivia to win but Anjay is alright with me so that's fine.

Green team is definitely my favorite!

2Epcot
10-21-2007, 12:17 AM
I’m glad Zack ran and won!!! He seems like a little politician (in a good way) himself! It looks like next week he’s going to implement a “if you don’t work you don’t get paid rule.” Good!!!!!

Yeah, I don’t know where Guylan came from. I kind of liked Mike. I actually thought he was a decent leader for his age.

I’m kind of happy Laurel got to stay on council, I think she’s a very good leader!

I’m so happy Anjay won over Olivia!!! She is so mean to Anjay, and for no apparent reason!

Go Greg for finally getting the (much deserved) gold star!!!!

I agree with all you said. Very happy to see Zach replace Taylor. I like Laurel and Anjay, and Greg finally got his star. As I had said before, he would need to have to have run of good behavior to get the star.

Mike was annoying sometimes in his style, but I thought he was a good leader. Taylor needed to be off the council, most of the town seemed to agree since there were loud cheers from everyone each time Zach got a vote. He made a great speech.

AvonleaCF
10-24-2007, 10:36 PM
I don't understand why Taylor wants to stay. She doesn't want to work, complains about everything and everyone, has no friends other than Layla and maybe some of the other Yellow girls, doesn't like getting dirty, and has a bad attitude. So why stay? Or maybe her parents won't let her come home early...

NotaGeek
10-24-2007, 10:43 PM
I don't understand why Taylor wants to stay. She doesn't want to work, complains about everything and everyone, has no friends other than Layla and maybe some of the other Yellow girls, doesn't like getting dirty, and has a bad attitude. So why stay? Or maybe her parents won't let her come home early...

Can you imagine what her parents are like? Kids only learn that attitude from SOMEONE at home. UGH. What a brat.

Carol
10-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Kids only learn that attitude from SOMEONE at home. Exactly. Someone put her on that pedestal. She may be a pageant queen but she has one ugly personality. :shake:

Melanie
10-26-2007, 08:25 AM
My boys and I were still talking about Taylor and her attitude today. She's actually a great example to use about how NOT to act.

magicman
10-29-2007, 12:57 PM
My boys and I were still talking about Taylor and her attitude today. She's actually a great example to use about how NOT to act.

That's exactly how we're using her behavior.

However from the entertainment perspective, the show wouldn't be near as good if she left it. Sadly, she makes a very good villain.

magicman
10-31-2007, 12:27 PM
Any guesses on this week's Gold Star Winner?

I'm guessing Mike the former Council Member is this week's recipient; however, it's very difficult to guess because all of the kids who get a lot of air time have already received it.

AvonleaCF
11-01-2007, 08:39 AM
What a smart counsil! I loved their decision regarding the extra money.

And finally tonight it wasn't the Taylor show! Great to see other kids getting the spotlight.

What do y'all think of Divad? Think she's a good worker or just wanting a gold star?

JanetMegan
11-01-2007, 08:46 AM
You know I have to jump in and say this show is getting some terrible reviews, but I really think it is cute. I like watching it each week and even if it is a little contrived, I really don't think it deserves all the bashing it is getting in the press...thoughts?

Melanie
11-01-2007, 08:59 AM
We're still enjoying it, Janet. My kids really look forward to it each week.

I can't believe any of those eggs stayed intact. That was wild!

I don't really agree with how Divad was going about selling the food. I'm surprised she got any business at all.

magicman
11-01-2007, 12:19 PM
I don't like any of the "gold star pandering".

Did you know that Divad's parents filed suit when the show was over because of the grease burns she received?

Melanie
11-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Did you know that Divad's parents filed suit when the show was over because of the grease burns she received?

Really?!?!?!?!?

LauraleeH
11-04-2007, 06:08 PM
I don't like any of the "gold star pandering".

Seriously?! I hope that she doesn't win a gold star, if that's the case...

LauraleeH
11-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Hm, I don't think they should split the kids up at all...next week should be interesting!

Mickey052501
11-07-2007, 09:34 PM
This show seems a little far fetched to me.

bleukarma
11-08-2007, 12:31 PM
I missed last weeks episode, but last nights episode was a little different. You hardly saw Taylor!!!! I'm happy with who got the gold star. I must admit that I still have a little grudge toward Olivia for how she treated Anjay during the elections. I wanted to tell the counsil that while Olivia may be a fun person, so is Kennedy and she would never intentionally treat someone else bad.

I'm really proud of how the kids get together and cheer each other on and pat each other on the backs. Even if they mess up, there is always another kid around that pats them on the back. Even though there have been some tiffs, it seems like for the most part the kids are there for each other.

Where did Paris Hilton and Nikki come from?! I'm happy we're seeing some other kids instead of the handful that they've been concentrating on.

thrillme
11-08-2007, 12:48 PM
You know...this is a reality show that's focused on kids between 9 and 14. I know my DS really loves it because he can relate to the kids. He has his "OPIONIONS" of what's going on just Iike I do for Survivor. I don't think it's necessarily for "adults" but kids see some of this behavior in everyday school. They can relate to it and possibly learn they can get more flys with honey than viniger.

NotaGeek
11-08-2007, 02:32 PM
I think it's funny that every week Divad nominates herself for a gold star. Everyone thinks it's wrong of her, but I think that she is aware of what the money will do to change her life, and she feels that she is working hard and deserves recognition. It's sad that the gold star is still a popularity contest.

AvonleaCF
11-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Jared is absolutely hysterical!

I wish Laurel could get a gold star...she so deserves it! Can counsil members get them? I doubt it. And what a great singing voice!

And I too am liking how they're focusing on new kids. We didn't know about Kennedy before. And I'm so glad Olivia didn't get the star; I dislike her as well (because of how she treated Anjay). And I didn't think her stand-up was all that funny (I'm not a fan of stand-up that makes fun of others).

After seeing the gum show-down I'm really happy the kids opted for the dental hygiene products! I'm surprised they did that task though. I mean, gum is terrible for your teeth. And then the counsil members had to handle other people's chewed gum. Plus half those kids have braces. I wonder how many of their parents called to complain.

At least the rewards weren't all that great, unlike when they lost the pumps. I mean, paining the town would have been cool, but they'll get by without that.

2Epcot
11-11-2007, 04:39 PM
I just got around to watching last week's episode. I was happy to see the green team finally get the Upper Class. I really like Laurel and Sophia, as well as Jared and Zach.

The talent show was good. Kelsey was great on the piano. I also didn't think too much of Olivia's act. It would be interesting to know how many of the kids/parents just decided to just try out for this show, and how many of them are among those kids who are in the audition circuit to try to get into the entertainment business.

I'm still enjoying the show. I like hearing that kids are enjoying watching the show. Most of reality programs are geared towards adults.

AvonleaCF
11-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Way too much drama tonight! When they said they'd mix up the teams I thought they'd completely change them, not just swap a couple around. And poor Nathan! He just stood there while every person critisized him!

Don't know what to make of the new elections. I'd be good with Blaine, DK, and Greg up there, but I hope Michael doesn't win over Laurel. I don't think he could do a better job.

And man I really felt sorry for those kids not winning the reward. Beds would have been so nice for them!

LauraleeH
11-14-2007, 11:07 PM
It was almost too chaotic for me to watch tonight. I'm hoping it won't be as bad next week.

I really want Michael to win. I like Laurel enough, but she is kind of getting on my nerves. I think green team should have some sort of change.

And I really want Blaine and DK to win! Between Greg and Anjay, it really doesn't matter to me.

2Epcot
11-19-2007, 11:22 AM
I really want Michael to win. I like Laurel enough, but she is kind of getting on my nerves. I think green team should have some sort of change..

I never seem to get around to watching Kid Nation till the weekend. There was a lot of drama. I also like Laurel, but I think Michael could be good for the green team.

It was too bad they didn't get the beds, but that was a tough task. I don't really think they could have won that no matter what.

tink'72
11-19-2007, 04:04 PM
I was watching last week's episode the other night and Guylan said something along the lines of the percs of being a councel leader don't outway the negatives...What are the percs?

AvonleaCF
11-19-2007, 10:00 PM
The perks are reading the journal & implementing what is says, choosing who wins the gold star, choosing the reward if they win the showdown, and assigning the jobs within your district.

magicman
11-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Who do you think will win the counsel seats.
BLUE - Anjay vs Greg
GREEN - Laurel vs Michael
Yellow - Zack vs Blane
Red - Guylan vs DK

IMHO, it will be Greg, Laurel, Blane, and DK.

A Greg & Blane counsel could be crazy.

Lastly, I loved all the drama last week. I thought the show had gotten a bit stale since Taylor's fade into obscurity. I thought last week's episode had the requisite amount of conflict to keep my tuned in.:thumbsup::thedolls:

2Epcot
11-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Who do you think will win the counsel seats.
BLUE - Anjay vs Greg
GREEN - Laurel vs Michael
Yellow - Zack vs Blane
Red - Guylan vs DK

IMHO, it will be Greg, Laurel, Blane, and DK.

A Greg & Blane counsel could be crazy.

Lastly, I loved all the drama last week. I thought the show had gotten a bit stale since Taylor's fade into obscurity. I thought last week's episode had the requisite amount of conflict to keep my tuned in.:thumbsup::thedolls:

I think all of them will probably be replaced, though we see at least one new council member in the newest promo talking about not handing out any gold stars.

Taylor got more then enough screen time in the first several episodes, so she should be pushed to the background.

The entire mixing of the teams was designed to stir things up. The producers got the reactions they wanted.

I think of all the council members so far, Laurel has been the best.

BelleandtheBeast
11-20-2007, 07:37 PM
I don't know if Greg will win just because he can be a bully. I know that I sure wouldn't vote for hm. Poor anjay has not even been given a real chance, all they do is tease him.

magicman
11-21-2007, 11:07 AM
I don't know if Greg will win just because he can be a bully. I know that I sure wouldn't vote for hm. Poor anjay has not even been given a real chance, all they do is tease him.

I too feel like Anjay is getting slighted. The reason I think Greg will win is because the sisters on the blue team have such a vendetta out against Anjay.

2Epcot
11-29-2007, 12:08 AM
Producers have a big hand in what plays out on most reality shows, but the longer this show goes on the more staged and scripted it seems to be.

Melanie
11-29-2007, 06:49 AM
Producers have a big hand in what plays out on most reality shows, but the longer this show goes on the more staged and scripted it seems to be.

I have to agree. I've totally lost interest, although my boys are still into it.

tinkerbell04
12-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Epcot

I have to agree. I've totally lost interest, although my boys are still into it.

I agree! My daughter still likes it but I really only watch it now with her. I could do without it.:mickey:

2Epcot
12-10-2007, 02:36 PM
My wife watched her first episode of the show this week, and was impressed with how smart the kids are. I reminded her, that's why they go through the casting process.

I was happy to see Alex win a gold star, and I thought Sophia did a good job running things by heself, even if the council was probably told to put her in charge.

I think only one more episode left. There have been several things I haven't liked about the show, but overall, the show has been much better then I expected.

2Epcot
12-12-2007, 02:55 PM
I have a feeling on the last show that all the kids will end up getting a gold star.

Carol
12-13-2007, 09:11 AM
I thought the finale was anticlimactic. :bored:

mjaclyn
12-13-2007, 09:46 AM
I actually liked this show despite all of the negative reviews and critisism it's received. The finale was okay - I wasn't expecting Migle to get a gold star in the end though. I thought it was funny when the town went crazy after the job board was destroyed. It just goes to show that kids DO need direction - if they had honestly gone to a ghost town with no adults and nothing whatsoever there's no way they could have done it. It was an interesting show while it lasted!

magicman
12-13-2007, 01:16 PM
The only thing that I would really like to see is if all of the "proud parents" that we saw on the final episode last night were still proud after they saw all of the programs/episodes air.

2Epcot
12-13-2007, 01:26 PM
I haven't watched the whole show yet. I just saw the last 20 minutes or so. The reunion with the parents was nice, though I was expecting a bigger surprise at the end.