PDA

View Full Version : SWA new Boarding policy

mudpuppysmom
09-19-2007, 04:20 PM
I just opened this email from SWA:

We’ve figured out how to make our open seating method even better by doing away with the so called “cattle call” and eliminating the need to “camp out” in the boarding line.

Beginning in early November, you will be assigned not only a boarding group (A, B, or C) but also a number within that boarding group based on the time you check in for a flight (for example: A32). This unique combination represents your reserved spot in your boarding group. Next, listen for one of our friendly gate agents to announce your group. When your group is called, simply take a position next to the column that represents your boarding number and proceed onto the airplane to find your favorite seat. Boarding columns will be divided into groups of five.

I think I like flying with SW even better now!!!

chechas
09-19-2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the heads up! We fly SWA a lot!

AZ Disney
09-19-2007, 05:26 PM
Southwest Airlines ends 'family first' boarding
Dawn Gilbertson
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 18, 2007 03:21 PM
Families traveling with small children will no longer get to jump to the front of the boarding line at Southwest Airlines.

The airline, which carries more than one in three Phoenix passengers, is eliminating early pre-boarding for families beginning Oct. 2 in a bid to speed the boarding process.

Families with children four and under will now board after the first regular boarding group unless they have an A boarding pass to be in that first group. Southwest famously doesn't assign seats. Passengers board in three groups, A, B and C, with their letter determined by when they checked in.

Terk24
09-19-2007, 05:27 PM
Q: Do families still get to pre-board?
A: Beginning October 2, 2007, an adult traveling with a child four years old or younger will board between the "A" and "B" boarding groups, unless you have an "A" boarding pass. Those Customers holding an "A" boarding pass should board with the "A" boarding group. With an all-jet fleet outfitted with comfortable, leather seats, our families traveling with small children are easily accommodated together.

:ack:I think this part makes flying SWA much less attractive. It is chaotic with families anyway, let a lone having the board in the middle of boarding instead of at the beginning.

Strmchsr
09-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Boarding between A & B doesn't make any sense at all. I'd rather they just do away with preboard all together (yes, I have a child under 4) rather than this. Just let everyone board according to their pass, especially with the new numbers assigned.

AZ Disney
09-19-2007, 05:35 PM
I too feel bummed about the end of pre-boarding for families, but our time was ending in the next 3 months anyway as our youngest turns 4 in January. It was always nice to pre-board, but since we always have a carseat and stroller under the plane we were the first off and always had to wait for 5-10 minutes until our stuff came up. This won't deter me from flying SW as this is the best and cheapest airline for most of the destinations we fly.

kakn7294
09-19-2007, 06:03 PM
I didn't see any mention of passengers with disabilities pre-boarding. I don't think they should eliminate that aspect. I'll probably catch a lot of flack for this but I actually like that the pre-boarding for children under 4 is eliminated. I always hated that I got up early (I'm so not a morning person) to check in 24 hrs in advance and print my passes only to arrive at the airport and have half of the people on the plane still board before me because of having young kids. In my limited flying experience, it seemed that the adult travelers (the ones with no kids) who were trying to pick out the perfect seat took more time boarding than the families with kids.

AZ Disney
09-19-2007, 06:04 PM
http://www.southwest.com/help/boardingschool/faq.html

kakn7294
09-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Oh, thanks! That's good that they didn't change the persons with disabilities and children traveling alone portion of the policy. I thought about this a bit more too and realized that I really don't care when I board and where I sit as long as my DD's don't have to sit alone on the plane, especially the younger one. We don't have to sit together as a family but I do want my kids with at an adult at least.

AZ Disney
09-19-2007, 06:27 PM
I just can't hold back...GO Niners! I know they probably don't have much of a chance this week, but I've got to stay loyal!:fingers:

kakn7294
09-19-2007, 06:55 PM
I just can't hold back...GO Niners! I know they probably don't have much of a chance this week, but I've got to stay loyal!:fingers:
There's always a chance for a San Fran win, but not this week! Go Steelers!!!

Crow
09-19-2007, 07:04 PM
i just got this email also. i flew SW in May and i was thinking cattle call:elephant:
too bad its not starting already as i fly Friday...

Disney Baby
09-19-2007, 07:25 PM
I fly Southwest almost once a week. If you have an electronic ticket - you can log onto southwest.com and print yourboarding pass 24 hours ahead of time. This guarantees an "A" boarding pass. I set the alarm on my blackberry 24 hours before the flight time and check in on my blackberry and reprint my boarding pass when I arrive at the airport. This should help the families that are worried about no longer being able to pre-board. From my experience, if you are in A - you should be able to get three seats across without a problem.

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-19-2007, 10:48 PM
I always log on at the 24 hr. mark but end up in the middle of the plane because of the people who camp out. It ends up defeating the purpose of printing out boardin passes so early. I really hope this new system helps with that.

On another note......why do airlines with predetermined seating board the front of the plane first. It would really move things along faster if they boarded the back of the plane first.

kakn7294
09-19-2007, 11:25 PM
On another note......why do airlines with predetermined seating board the front of the plane first. It would really move things along faster if they boarded the back of the plane first.
Man, you're not kidding! I never could figure this one out. It makes sense to start in the back since the door is in the front.

Here we go again...
09-20-2007, 04:10 AM
Q: Do families still get to pre-board?
A: Beginning October 2, 2007, an adult traveling with a child four years old or younger will board between the "A" and "B" boarding groups, unless you have an "A" boarding pass. Those Customers holding an "A" boarding pass should board with the "A" boarding group. With an all-jet fleet outfitted with comfortable, leather seats, our families traveling with small children are easily accommodated together.

:ack:I think this part makes flying SWA much less attractive. It is chaotic with families anyway, let a lone having the board in the middle of boarding instead of at the beginning.

I agree.... somewhat.
I think that allowing children to preboard does help the parents so they do not feel so rushed boarding. They should not change for children under 4 years old.
What I never liked (and Orlando is the worst) is the families that line up to preboard with a child that looks about 10 years old.... with mom and dad and the cousins and aunts and uncles.
I just hate being an "A" pass and having to sit in the middle or back of the plane. JMO.

Mommy2boys
09-20-2007, 08:30 AM
I wonder why they don't have pre-assigned seating. Wouldn't that be easier and more organized?

kakn7294
09-20-2007, 08:38 AM
I wonder why they don't have pre-assigned seating. Wouldn't that be easier and more organized?I heard once that it's because it would require them to hire more employees to make the seat assignments and therefore increase their spending via those salaries and therefore increase ticket costs. They are supposed to be saving consumers money by not having assigned seats.

vamaggie
09-20-2007, 08:40 AM
I wonder why they don't have pre-assigned seating. Wouldn't that be easier and more organized?

This was my thought. If they are going to assign numbers why not seats?

sillyolbear
09-20-2007, 12:12 PM
I'm glad they are tweaking the boarding process as I've never liked having to line-up even with an A boarding pass.

I do think that for those that don't fly very often this new system might add another layer of confusion. I've noticed that the current system confuses the less seasoned fliers, so adding another layer probably won't help that issue much.

ThanxForNoticin
09-20-2007, 12:50 PM

It appears to be a computer software issue. SW has had their A-B-C system for years now, and changing to an individual seating system (like most other airlines) will require potentially expensive computer changes. There were rumors the past couple years that they would be changing, but I've not heard anything serious about it for awhile now.

And although the SW system does work, it can be confusing, annoying, and very inefficient when loading the plane the way they do. But if it helps keep the costs down over other airlines, it's probably worth the minor extra inconvenience at boarding time.

I do find it funny, though, that SW always says their passengers "ask for" or "enjoy" this system. I have found very few fellow travelers who think it's a good idea! These changes should help at least a little.

tyandskyesmom
09-20-2007, 01:16 PM
I got the e-mail too and I don't really know what to think. I have a 3 year old so we have always pre-boarded but just in case they did not offer the pre-board i always got up to pull an A boarding pass 24 hours before. So I don't think it is really going to change much for us but I can see the grouping of five being a problem for people who don't fly often.

My only concern is that all four of us sit together...yes, to us it is a big deal. Not only because it is a family vacation and not only because my kids ate 8 and 3 but because it would be a complete headache for me and Lou to have to split up the kids and the "keep 'em busy activities" that we have brought with us. And it is much easier for one adult and two kids to sit in all 3 seats in the row than for a stranger to have to put up with any two of us either by the window or on the isle. But, hopefully, for us, this new system will not change things.

And I am fine with no assigned seating...

We'll see in 103 more days!!!

2Epcot
09-20-2007, 01:35 PM
I fly Southwest almost once a week. If you have an electronic ticket - you can log onto southwest.com and print yourboarding pass 24 hours ahead of time. This guarantees an "A" boarding pass. I set the alarm on my blackberry 24 hours before the flight time and check in on my blackberry and reprint my boarding pass when I arrive at the airport.

I don't fly Southwest as much as you, but it has been my primary airline to fly for the last 10 to 12 years. I also set the alarm on my Treo and check in wherever I am at the time, to make sure I get my A boarding card. Many times I would be number one, but with people "camping" out in line, I'd always end up in further back in the plane.

If you go to the Southwest website they have a video that talks about, and shows the new boarding process. They also talk about it on the blog on the website. According to SWA, their survey with customers shows many people don't want assigned seats, and like the open seating. I like it myself, and was hoping they would not go to assigned seating. I think the number system improves what they were already doing.

thrillme
09-20-2007, 02:18 PM
I kinda wish they'd have a "reserved" section. I print my boarding pass as soon as I can but I'm always fearful of not getting my "A".

I fly with my DS and next trip with my boyfriend (who may be a husband by then) I want to sit WITH them not scattered about the plane. I don't care about the overhead bins I just want to sit with my family I don't care where it is. I know it's trivial but it seems like everybody is always split up in regular life I just want to be together on vacation.

Fortunately I've been pretty lucky with this but last trip a family with two kids were split up. Dad and one boy stayed together (4 people would have been split ANYWAY)...but the Mom and the other son got split. The Stewardess offered to MOM to ask if anyone was willing to switch seats...but she took a seat nearby and said don't worry about it. I went to offer the boy an extra headset to the DVD player but he had already fallen asleep. So I guess the splitting up was not a big deal.

I LOVE Southwest so much more than the other airlines. I can never figure out why assigned seating just never seems to go smoothly.

BigRedDad
09-20-2007, 02:52 PM
This is funny. I agree with tweaking the system a bit. However, families boarding with small children should be able to pre-board (mom, dad, kids only). All extended relatives board where they have the pass. Either way, it makes little difference. Anyone can get a note from a doctor with a "disability" or "special need".

My DD will take her first flight when she is 2. I will be in boarding group A or pre-boarding regardless. All the airline needs is a note from a doctor. I have a neighbor with a Ph D with his own personal letter head. It is pre-signed and I can stick it in my printer. All this policy will do is allow people to get around it with a loophole.

thrillme
09-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Pre-boarding for a disability it seems like only OBVIOUS disabilities would be OK to preboard. Like those in Wheelchairs, on crutches or blind. Yes there are a lot of other disabilities but I don't see why these would necessitate boarding before anybody else.

SteveL
09-20-2007, 05:34 PM
All the airline needs is a note from a doctor. I have a neighbor with a Ph D with his own personal letter head. It is pre-signed and I can stick it in my printer. All this policy will do is allow people to get around it with a loophole.

Heck, nowadays any stooge can drum up a letterhead in Word. Who needs the neighbor? Then again I couldn't be bothered going through all that trouble just to walk on a plane a little earlier.

lindique
09-21-2007, 07:39 PM
I have my own theory on this. Southwest prides itself on its fast turnarounds - that is, how quickly it can get the aircraft back in the air again. During the "cattle calls", people tend to rush into the plane (pushing and shoving in some cases) to try to get a good seat. This speeds things up greatly. I read somewhere that because of their quick turnaround, SW can actually fly an additional flight each day.

Mommy2boys
09-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Them trying to save money is great since we get cheaper flights too, but families with small children should still be able to preboard. I can't Imagine trying to get on the plane with everyone else pushing you when I have to carry my baby and aside from that I want to keep our family together. I guess I will have to see how it works out this time and then figure out if saving money on the flight is really that worth it.