PDA

View Full Version : some pixie dust for my daughter please

momef3grls
09-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Well my fears finally came true.:( My daughter the soccer goalie did what I knew she would do sooner or later, she tore her ACL. She made the save and it was incredible:thumbsup:, but when she landed she twisted her knee and I heard a scream that made my heart stop. We went to family Dr first and they sent her for an MRI, results came back friday and they said there was a tear. We are going to the Orthopedic surgeon in 2 hrs and hopefully he will tell us it is not too bad and there are a couple of options for surgery. Here is the big downer, we leave for WDW in 21 days. She is so upset about everything not only is her season done but she may be on crutches for disney. Well we are thinking positive thoughts that it can be repaired with a minimally invasive procedure and just roll with the punches.

Belle619
09-19-2007, 09:39 AM
:pixie: for your daughter. Unfortunately, this seems to be very common in young female athletes, so if there is a bright side to this - the surgery is probably done quite often by the ortho docs, so I'm sure that either surgical option will go well.

You can always rent a wheelchair for your DD - which I'm sure she may not be crazy about, but making sure she doesn't reinjure the knee is more important than anything else.

medic9016
09-19-2007, 10:06 AM
:pixie:Good luck and best wishes. I went through this with my exwife. She had 2 complete ACL tears. Make your decision early so she can get into physical therapy. Which is most likely the worst part next to the injury itself. Your Disney trip will be good therapy for her.

MsMin
09-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Sending :pixie: for her. I sure hope you get some good news. I do recommend a w/c for WDW. Healing is so so important and irritating it shortly after surgery can impede the healing process and recovery time. I know in some instances it can make the scaring worse and internally can affect her range of motion later.
My dd had to use a w/c last Dec. b/c her asthma was so bad she couldn't walk 50ft w/o stopping to breathe (even if that was sitting on the pavement) but she would have rather shaved her head than use a w/c.
More :pixie: we leave in 19 days so maybe we will see you there!

Mfarquar
09-19-2007, 10:44 AM
I hope your daughter gets good news and feels better!

Look on the bright side - even being on crutches can't ruin a trip to Disney. You can always get a wheelchair (I've done this with my aunt and cousin who have rheumatoid arthritis and were suffering from severe flare ups, and my sister who is always reliant upon a wheelchair). There are so many people in wheelchairs that it's the one place where you don't stick out too much, so it's easier on young people like my sister and cousin. They're very easy to push and you get to cut some of the lines! :)

I'm sure whatever happens, things will work out for the best. :magic: :magic: :magic:

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

wilcat
09-19-2007, 10:47 AM
My DH experienced the same thing with his left knee. Somehow he managed to tear it and the only option was surgery. Of course that was a month before our WDW trip. Surgery was quick and easy, he was on crutches for only a few days. His orthopedic surgeon told him that one of the best exercises was walking. So we went to Disney and walked and walked. When he got back the doctor released him without any physical therapy needed. He said the trip to Disney did more good than therapy ever could. Hope your daugher has the same experience and the injury won't keep her down for long. Sending pixie dust your way for a speedy recovery.:pixie:

jarajam
09-19-2007, 11:54 AM
So sorry to hear about your daughter. My oldest is also an athlete an we are always worried about injuries. So far its been nothing but bad sprains, serious bruises and broken fingers. (knock on wood!) On the brighter side, when we went to disney with my MIL who was in a whelchair, we were treated golden! We got fast access to the rides and events! The only time we had a little trouble was during dining at the restaurants, but your daughter could use crutches or hop then and leave the chair at the door, something m MIL couldn't do! Good luck and I hope she has a rapid recovery!
Julie

momef3grls
09-19-2007, 01:40 PM
complete tear of the ACL right off the femur:(. We are going to see another Dr tomorrow who specializes in athletes and their surgery. The Dr we went to today says he is the best and has the best success rate with getting them back fast and fully healed. Thanks for all the pixie dust but it looks like surgery is her only option so she can be back in time for her actual season in the spring. She refuses to use a wheelchair so I told her we would only get one if she absolutely could not do it. She has the mindset that only people that really need them, and the front of the line privledges that go with it, should use them. She is a great kid but she is stubborn (I have no idea where she gets it from:blush:). Thanks again I will keep everyone posted.

cfoshe
09-19-2007, 01:48 PM
My dw did tear her acl and inter ligiment skiing last year. I do not think that your daughter will be up and walking on it a few days after surgery. From what I know, this injurier takes a brace more than crutches. Hope that is true for your daughter.

bleukarma
09-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Here is some more pixe dust that everything goes good with your DD's knee and the upcoming trip is wonderful! :pixie::pixie:

momef3grls
09-20-2007, 07:07 PM
well she is scheduled for surgery 9/26 so that gives her 2wks to get used to being in the brace. Dr has us set up for a therapy machine in the house so her rehab can get started as soon as she comes home from the hospital. Thanks for all the imput and I am trying to get her to agree to the wheelchair but she is won't. I told her we would take her crutches and if she needed it we would rent her one down there. Thank you for all the pixie dust. We are determined to have a great time and we are going to go at her pace no matter what that is. We are going for 9 days so we can take our time.
Thanks again,
Tina and Brittini

mousetrapper
09-20-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm so sorry your daughter suffered this injury. I am certainly sending as much pixie dust as I can muster...:pixie:

Maybe give her a little time to recover a bit after her surgery and see if she rethinks the wc.

My DH severed his achilles tendon (yes, completely severed in two) about two months before our very first trip to WDW. He had surgery as well and his ortho surgeon had him start physical therapy almost immediately, rather than wait until it healed and, therefore, tightened up.

I am wishing you and your family all the best...

mrsgaribaldi
09-20-2007, 08:42 PM
:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:on the way for her speedy recovery. She sounds very determined and I'm sure she will be up and around in no time:thumbsup:

Beast_fanatic
09-20-2007, 10:49 PM
More :pixie: on the way. I hope the surgery goes well and the recovery does too!

AbeeNormal
09-20-2007, 10:59 PM
I am so sorry to here about your daughter. I hope she doesn't have to miss this trip:sad:

You keep her chin up and tell her she'll be OK - If her mind is in the right place the healing will be quicker and she'll be back on the field in not time:tink:

Jeff
09-21-2007, 07:35 AM
Your daughter sounds like a very determined athlete. :thumbsup:I will be praying for a speedy and complete recovery for her.

As a High School coach I have seen young athletes make remarkable recoverys. I hope your daughter will be one of those stories.

I've done WDW in a knee brace 8 weeks after an ACL tear. At 2 weeks I would have used the wheelchair.

mouseketeer mom
09-21-2007, 08:09 AM
Oh boy. We just had my DD (junior olympic competitive gymnast) at the ortho for her knees. No tear, but my hurt goes out to you and your DD.
As for the season, thats something you're just going to have to wave that white flag around about! Surrender the season and concentrate on recovery.
As for WDW, you will be fine. So many people young and old are in chairs there for all kinds of injuries and disabilities. I haven't seen a wheelchair inhibit anyone! As a matter of fact, they are given extra special attention and seating! (what a way to get it, I know, but hey, we're looking for positives!!) So, go with it, and just know that you'll just be doing Disney differently this time...but you'll still be able to do it and have a terrific time.
Positive thoughts for your DD's recovery.

DisneyDudet
09-21-2007, 09:52 AM
AHHH CPM!!! That machine will hurt for a few days, but it really does help. The more she uses it, the better it will be. We don't see many ortho patients on my floor, but I do know that walking and doing ANY activity is part of the best medicine. Also, don't let her become afraid of her pain medication. A lot of people are so afraid that if they use it, they will become addicted. That simply isn't true. I always tell my patients to take it before you KNOW it will be bad, like if walking or even resting it causes more pain, take one. No sense in letting it get to the highest pain ever to take one. The more it hurts, they less you will work it, the slower it will heal. Simple as that!

I would also suggest a wheelchair, as those crutches will start to wear her out after a while. She doesn't have to use the front of the line privilages that come with a wheelchair. Since she is mobile, she can park the wheelchair, and use the standby/FP lines, unlike someone who is wheelchair dependent, who will need assistance with transferring and can't walk distances. There is no shame in it!

Here is some :pixie: for you, your daughter, the medical staff, and anyone else involved. I hope you can get this taken care of, and she feels great so she (and you and the family) can enjoy your special trip!

momef3grls
09-21-2007, 05:09 PM
hey everyone this is Brittini, and i was just as upset as most of you sound when you found out. Not only is my soccer season over, for the year, but it's official crutches for disney. However.... stubborn, determined me is determined to walk for at least an hour without crutches or anything by our trip. Again thank you very much for all your pixie dust. your pixies must be working overtime. thanks and i hope all the up comming trips go off without a hitch. i'm sure we'll make do just fine. Thanks again!! DM and DD, Tina and Brittini.

The Bookseller
09-22-2007, 12:50 AM
Here's some :pixie: :pixie: for a complete recovery.

As far as the wheelchair goes, I guess she will take it when she will be tired of hobbling around with her crutches, I am sure she will love the idea of being everybody's Fastpass on wheels! :thumbsup:

momef3grls
09-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Surgery was wednesday and went extremely well. She is now up and about and on her therapy twice a day for 2 hours. She can bend her knee 60 degrees and put a little weight on it. Just wanted to say thanks for the pixie dust and prayers, somebody upstairs was definately listening. Now to get ready for Disney in 13 days. Her goal is knee bent 90 degrees (to sit on plane) and 50% weight bearing. Doctor is really pleased with how she is doing and says she may make it back midway through the spring season (we'll cross that bridge when we get there).
Thanks again for the pixie dust just wanted to give everyone an update.
Tina

Jeff
09-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Glad to hear surgery went well.:thumbsup:
Make sure you don't let your determined athlete push herself beyond what the PT's say she should be doing.
I'll certainly continue to keep her in my prayers. The determination and drive of dedicated young athletes is amazing and continues to inspire me after 22 years of coaching. It sounds like your daughter is in the above category of select athletes - good for her.

AbeeNormal
10-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Tina, I'm so glad to hear she got thru her surgery and hopefully it's all over and on to recovery.:thumbsup: You all must be so proud of her courageous attitude what a gal.:heart: Good luck with the trip and I hope you all have a wonderful time. :):hug: