PDA

View Full Version : Universal Resorts

Mfarquar
09-18-2007, 11:50 AM
My husband and I will be heading to the Universal Orlando resort next week because we are avid fans of Halloween Horror Nights.

We've never stayed at Universal, as our vacation plans are usually super Disney-centered :mickey:. We usually stay on Disney property for 8 days, with one day trip to Islands of Adventure (can't beat Dueling Dragons!). However, with our honeymoon this year, we couldn't do Disney again. However, we did NOT want to miss Halloween Horror Nights, as we've made it the past two years.

Anyway, are there any tips we should know about? We are staying at the Royal Pacific Resort for three nights. I already have tickets and whatnot figured out, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips about staying at a Universal resort - the water shuttle to the parks, good restaurants (we've only tried Emeril's, the Irish pub in Universal Studios park, and the Bob Marley restaurant), front of the line passes with your room key, are there other modes of transportation besides water shuttle if it rains? How have all of you found these "on site perks"?

Any information on your experience there is greatly appreciated!

thrillme
09-18-2007, 12:36 PM
I haven't been to Horror Nights but I definately plan too perhaps in 09.

I HAVE stayed in the Royal Pacific and oh heavens have I LOVED the "perks". They have a nice breakfast bar I belive it's call the Island resturant.

If you can't take the water taxi they have a regular shuttle, they have rickshaw (rickshaw is free but you usually tip the driver), and you can walk (about 15 minutes and very nice). My son and I enjoy the Nascar Cafe at City Walk I totally LOVE the Pitstop Pasta and my son is crazy about the Popcorn Shrimp. I haven't eaten at Margaritaville but it definately smells very good.

I TOTALLY enjoy going to Disney but I admit that I really enjoy the "ease" of Universal. I don't have to get up EARLY, I don't have to have a "strategy" to ride everything. It's just nice.

NJGIRL
09-18-2007, 03:14 PM
We love Holloween Horror Nights. It is definatley the BEST Holloween Party at a Theme Park. We like to eat at Finnegans, the Hard Rock Cafe, Nascar Cafe and the Italian Place (I can't remember the name) in City Walk.
Have a great time.

jax86
09-19-2007, 01:20 PM
i'm also going around the same time and staying at the hard rock hotel. this is our first time also so thanks for the tips.

I heard you have to up grade your tickets to by pass the lines. is that true or do you get to by simply staying in an on site hotel??
thanks

Mfarquar
09-19-2007, 02:40 PM
From what I have read and from what the hotel has told me (on the phone and on paper), if you are staying on-site you get to show/swipe your room key and immediately by-pass the lines for Islands of Adventure AND Universal Studios.

However, you must purchase Express Passes if you are attending a separately ticketed event, i.e., Halloween Horror Nights and want to cut the lines. We haven't found a need to purchase an Express Pass for Halloween Horror Nights in the past, but we always go opening weekend, which is historically less crowded.

So, if you already have your park tickets, there's no need to purchase an Express Pass add-on if you are staying at the Hard Rock! :)

CaraMiaO3
09-20-2007, 01:08 PM
We stayed at the Royal Pacific in early June. I really though it would be more "deluxe-like" though. The rooms were not as big as we expected and the decor just wasnt as polynesian as we expected. Not a big deal though. One of the nights we were there we walked the path from the resort to City Walk. Not too long a walk. When it was time to go back to the resort it started to rain. Along the path there were several bike taxi's. Rather then waiting for the ferry we jumped in the bike taxi . Free service ... they work off tips. Our 5 yr old thought it was totally cool. The bike guy peddled fast giving us a fun ride. We made sure to tip him well.

Getting the express passes are so worth the difference in that hotel and a hotel off property. We didnt wait more then 2 minutes to get on any ride. We will never stay anywhere but a Universal resort when we go bacl to Universal or IOA.

Mfarquar
09-24-2007, 11:38 AM
Good to know CaraMia03! Especially about the bike service! The Express Pass was a huge factor for us as well - I'm sure we'll be happy to have it!

If you don't mind me asking, in your opinion, what do you think is a fair tip for the bike taxi? We've never taken one, and I want to make sure we tip enough!

DisneyDog
10-02-2007, 02:02 PM
the Universal Resorts are wonderful. We have stayed at Hard Rock and Royal Pacific. Very luxurious, especially compared to Disney resorts. Lots of ammenities and first class service.

Barb_A
10-03-2007, 02:44 PM
We're staying at Royal Pacific this weekend! Yippee!! Not doing HHN though ... SIgn up for a Lowe's First card .. you *may* be able to get a free upgrade ... and you can choose a free gift on arrival to your room - wine and nuts, milk and cookies, local gift, ec. You also get late check out.

I think that each member of your party has to have the room keys for the FOL access - so not just the parents - kids need to have them too.

Eating - you get First available for all dining areas - tho if most are staying onsite, it will be questionable how useful it is.

Rockstar Boyfriends
10-03-2007, 07:59 PM
From what I have read and from what the hotel has told me (on the phone and on paper), if you are staying on-site you get to show/swipe your room key and immediately by-pass the lines for Islands of Adventure AND Universal Studios.

If you stay at an onsite Universal Orlando hotel, your room key acts as an all-day Universal Express pass. Just show your key to the Team Member at the Universal Express entrance and as long as you are visiting during the dates of your stay, you get Express access. You key may be swiped or the Team Member will look at the key and waive you through.

CaraMiaO3
11-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Good to know CaraMia03! Especially about the bike service! The Express Pass was a huge factor for us as well - I'm sure we'll be happy to have it!

If you don't mind me asking, in your opinion, what do you think is a fair tip for the bike taxi? We've never taken one, and I want to make sure we tip enough!

I think my husband gave him like $10 or $12t. It was 2 adults and one 5 year old in the rain holding an umbrella...lol It isnt too long a trip from City Walk to the Royal Pacific resort. In normal weather I would say $3 a person is a good tip. These guys work hard peddling back and forth all night.