PDA

View Full Version : Another Weather Question

Donna Griffin
09-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Tell me the truth.....

Our very first WDW trip is 9/22/07 - 9/29/07. Should we expect rain everyday? Is it a lot of rain? Will we see sunshine? Do I pack only clothes for hot weather?

I'm getting a little worried about the weather considering this is our 1st Trip w/ 7 year old son & 4 year old daughter. :confused:

faline
09-17-2007, 03:08 PM
There's really nothing you can do about the weather.

When I've gone in September, in general, I've had lovely weather that is hot and humid. On one trip, we had a tropic storm which did give us a couple of days of solid rain. For that trip, we donned ponchos and went sloshing forward with our plans! Usually, though, when we've had rain, it has been a quick thundershower. These showers can be quite intense but usually don't last very long.

There is always the chance of a tropical storm or even a hurricane at this time of year. The odds that you will be impacted by a storm of this nature, however, are quite low.

rnin02
09-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Definitely only bring clothes for hot weather. Usually I think this time of year (we go earlier in Sept, but I think its true for the whole month) there's nearly always a rain shower every afternoon...but most of the time they pass fairly quickly. Its easy to keep having fun...just put on ponchos, or get wet! That's what we did this year...you dry pretty quickly. Or find an attraction to keep you indoors for a while...Hall of Presidents, Universe of Energy, the Great Movie Ride, one of the shows at Animal Kingdom...you'll have fun even with the rain.

crazeedizneefinatic
09-17-2007, 03:33 PM
We have also been monitoring the weather for our upcoming trip (sept 21st - 30th). When I say rain almost everyday the first 5 days I was upset. I took a closer look and found the percentage of rain was anywhere from 40% to 20% pretty good odds that it won't be a washout. Probably the typical afternoon downpour than that's it. We have gone plenty of times this time of year and always have found decent weather, although hot and humid. Been there twice during a hurricane and that was not even that bad. Just remember to pack some poncho's unless you want to spend $6 on the Mickey ones. It's practically impossible not to have fun in WDW no matter what the weather. Have a great trip!!:mickey:

Strmchsr
09-17-2007, 04:34 PM
i suggest you check the weather thread at the top of this forum which will keep you posted as to what to expect. There are no organized systems heading for WDW in the next 7-10 days in the form of a cold front. The possibility for a tropical system does exist, but nothing has formed as of now. The afternoon thunderstorms usually last 45-60 min. Sometimes you can throw on a poncho and keep going, but some of these storms can be quite mean, especially in terms of lightning. If you see lightning, get inside. Don't mess around with that. You should not have any day that is a washout, and, in fact, highs should be right around 90 with lots of sun, which means, combined with the humidity, the heat index could approach 100 so take breaks, especially with those kids, and drink LOTS of water.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
09-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Should you expect rain everyday?
-No, not necessarily. It hasn't rained everyday out here. And USUALLY it rains for a minimal amount of time in the afternoon (around 3 or so) and then it clears up to gorgeous blue skies... you will get clear weather before and after, so no need to worry about sunshine! PLENTY of that. The cloud cover is actually pretty nice before...

Is it a lot of rain?
-Well, it can be. Some of the showers are pretty torrential. One example of torrential rain at Disney: coming across the ferry to MK it started to pour. We get off the boat and The water coming down the incline was about a foot deep. I lost my flip flop in it. Plus my daughter in her stroller was SOAKED (she thought it was hilarious though...lol). Just watch the skies, check out the weather channel before you head out, etc. They can come on quick though, so yah just gotta pay attention to nature's signs... and DON'T assume that when you feel a drop of water you have a while before it gets bad... WRONG--it will pour before you know it.

Will you see sunshine?
-YES! Lots. The rain is in the afternoons when it will rain, and like I said, before and after the skies are nice! One thing to note: humidity is pretty nasty (worse than the rest of the day) right after the rain lets up. Just keep that in mind.

Do you pack clothes for hot weather only?
-This made me smile. Yes... there's no other kind of weather in Florida, except when we get a cold front or 2 in December. I hate hot. That being said: you can comfortably wear jeans late in the evening. So don't neccessarily pack ALL shorts. If you are planning on spending the evening at DTD or something, in and out of shops, jeans are nice. Bring tank tops. Sleeved shirts, even short sleeved, are so much hotter.

HAVE AN AMAAAAAAZING TRIP! and bring sunscreen...you will burn soooooo quickly! and it is painful and it ***** and is horrible to try and spend any other time out in the parks with a burn and in the sun again. ew. HAVE FUN!!!

WinnieThePooh
09-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Thanks FlaTinkRAMESAM !!! We arrive on Wednesday AM and I have been going crazy trying to figure out what to pack for clothes and rain. That helped so much.:mickey:

Thanks!

rnin02
09-17-2007, 06:25 PM
I have to second the tank top thing! I don't have tank tops for every day of vacation, and the days I had to wear t-shirts (even light weight) I felt yucky.

Jeri Lynn
09-17-2007, 08:24 PM
I have been in September many times, and there was only one trip where it really rained every single day...that was the trip that I did not think about having extra shoes and spent alot of time drying sneakers in the dryer!

I had a couple trips (around hurricanes) that it rained when the storm was near us but for the most part, most of our September trips have just been very very hot.

I would recommend light colored and light material clothing, sneakers and sandals that way if one pair of shoes gets wet if it rains you have something else to wear!!

The cheap disposable rain poncho's from walmart come in handy too!

We are going 9/25 - 9/30 and will be hopefully ready for the heat!

Have a great time!

tinksmom02
09-17-2007, 10:49 PM
So glad I found this post! I was just getting ready to post and ask a similar question--we're leaving on Saturday, and autumn weather in NJ is slowly creeping in. It will be chilly when we leave the house for the airport, so we will all be wearing a sweatshirt. My question was: would 1 sweatshirt be enough for the week?

Guess my question has been answered :thumbsup: Our packing is almost done, and I'm proud to say there are lots of tank tops in our bags!

The suitcases are so much lighter this time around--our last trip was at the end of January, and we had to take a little of everything, cause the weather was so iffy, and sometimes downright cold!