PDA

View Full Version : Better date Jan 5th or May 8, 2008?

caubert
09-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Hey everybody, I am trying to decide which date is better. I want low crowds and nice weather (not too hot, not too cold) just like everybody else. My concern is that Jan 5th will be too close to New Years crowds and May 8th will be too hot with long lines. Any advice would be appreciated.
caubert

BluegrassDaisy
09-17-2007, 03:12 PM
We visited the 1st week of May this year and it was great! The day we arrived was pretty hot, there was a thunderstorm in the afternoon. The rest of the week was perfect! The crowds were low. I would definitely visit again during early May :mickey:

faline
09-17-2007, 03:24 PM
I prefer May but it can be quite hot and humid. January weather can be quite chilly.

Crowds are generally low in January and early May.

angedeaile
09-18-2007, 02:30 AM
As mentioned, crowds are pretty low at both times. Although, here are some things to consider to help you decide.

January 5th falls on a Saturday and the parks might be super busy the first two days. Although, once the weekend is over, alot of grade schools are starting back up for the 7th. So I am assuming crowds will thin out come Monday.

As for May, alot of universities (like the one in my town) get out of school the first week of May and head to warmer locations for some vacation time, so crowds could be busy that week. Although, it might not be noticeable enough, since it would just be the college crowds. From what I understand, most grade schools don't let out till alittle later.

So it really is a toss up. Which is why I think the deciding factor for you should be weather.

May can be nice, but still hot to some. The weather can be be anywhere between mid 60s to high 80s, which really isn't too bad. However, humidity can be a pain like any summer month in the south.

January can be uncomfortable for some who aren't really use to dealing with unpredictable weather. Some days can be low 40s and then other days can be low 70s. Also, mornings and evenings tend to be chilly while afternoons warm up considerably.

I personally perfer January, because I love getting a break from the horrible winter weather we get where I live now. I swear, every year there is atleast one or two blizzards with negative temps that shuts down the whole town. It makes a possible 50-40F snow free day look like heaven!

Plus, I grew up in the south. I am use to their weird winter weather and always enjoyed that time of the year. That is exactly why I am going January 5th-January 10th :)

SO it all depends on your preference. Does unpredictable weather bother you or does possible heat?

mudpuppysmom
09-18-2007, 09:18 AM
We've been in both January and May and I like going both times.....the weather (for us) is a nice and welcome break from the northern cold in January and in May it's just starting to get nice here, but the crowds are lower than in the summer months (of course!).

If you are from a colder climate you should be fine in January, which is my vote! Yes, it can be colder than what you might expect, but Florida is not always hot and humid!

We went in 2006 late January and the day we left to come home it was 86! I called my mom and told her we were not coming home that it was HOT where we were and she said, "yeah, stay there it's 16 here!"......

Laura670
09-18-2007, 09:43 AM
We were there this past January 5-12th and Disney was expierencing some weird weather it wasn't cold it was hot....well hot to us .....the Floridians love it! It was in the 80's. One thing to remeber is that they have the Marathon in the beginning of January not sure what day it is. We also wanted to go to the parks when it wouldn't be so crowded but when we went the marathon was going on and one of the tram operators was telling us it was so crowded because of New years falling on a Monday and the Florida schools had an extended Christmas break. Towards the end of our trip crowds starting thinning out. Hope this helps!:mickey:

spinnerf
09-18-2007, 06:38 PM
Initially I would say January is better because it is sooner, but honestly I was there once in January and it was colder there than in NYC. We were walking with our winter coats and hats and may tourists stopped to ask us we bought them. I think I honestly would go in May, nicer weather and school is stil insession. Enjoy