PDA

View Full Version : Sept. 13 & 14: Report, Review, & MNSSHP, too!

tinkergal
09-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Day 4, Sept. 13th – We slept in a little but still made it to Epcot in plenty of time to enjoy the day. We went straight to Soarin’ & had a short wait time. DH had a great first flight! We then road Nemo & decided it was time to eat again! Since we were in the area, we went to Sunshine Seasons. DH had a turkey sandwich w/ strawberry shortcake for dessert & I had the Caesar salad w/ a most excellent fruit tulip for dessert (wish I had one now!). Seemed like Living W/ the Land would be a good choice as our meal settled & I liked having the automated narration. We then took our final Soarin’ flight. DH wanted to take a ride @ TT & didn’t mind the stand-by line. However, there were some technical issues so we waited longer than I would’ve liked. It was still fun & feeling brave, we went on over to M:S, although not too brave as we opted for the less intense version.
Then it was time to go to World Showcase where we began w/ the Gran Fiesta Tour in Mexico which is a much improved version, IMHO. Next up, the Fiesta Margarita! Of course, I’d just gotten started on it as we entered Maelstrom. We didn’t get to ride it because I hadn’t finished my drink. Now, am I crazy or did they used to let you take your drink in, @ least into the line? So, we bypassed Norway, making our way around the world. We stopped in Germany for DH to have a couple beers & bought some coasters for our Oktoberfest party. We kept touring the world & went into the American pavilion where we first enjoyed the Voices of Liberty before the American Adventure began. After that, we were running late for our dinner reservation so we exited through the IG to catch a boat to the Yacht Club (it would’ve probably been shorter to walk but DH was getting a big ol’ blister so he wanted to sit). We wouldn’t have even needed a reservation at the Yacht Club Galley. I even the wait staff was bored as our fantastic CM, Christa, chatted w/ us for a while. I started w/ the crab cakes & DH w/ the spinach cheese dip which was a generous portion. We had yummy entrees, too, w/ DH having the pork chops & I had the Braised Beef "Sandwich". My mouth is watering remembering the melding of different flavors: Grilled Baguette with Portobello Mushrooms, caramelized onion, wilted arugula, balsamic reduction, topped with Crumbled Blue Cheese. DH had the crème brulee for dessert & I had the Boston Cream Pie. Warning: Watch out for the manadarin orange goo that this comes floating in (goo is not the correct term I’m sure) – to me, it overpowers the dessert completely. After discovering this, I simply ate around it & enjoyed the remainder of the dessert. Stepping out of the park for this meal was a delightful diversion. And while there’s nothing spectacular about the atmosphere of this restaurant, the food was great, it was quiet & a nice break.
Since DH’s blister was bothering him too much we made our way back to POR & called it an early night.

Day 5, Sept. 14th – DH’s birthday!! We slept in today, which was great! Then DH opened all his PotC themed birthday goodies. Along w/ a ‘card’ from Goofy that had been delivered earlier in the week. Later in the morning, we caught a bus to Blizzard Beach & then walked over to Winter Summerland mini-golf to redeem the voucher. Note to self (& you, too!): if you have a car, drive in the future; there’s a small parking lot just for the mini-golf & it would be easier than the wait time for the buses. Since we had the voucher & DH was wearing his b-day button, we got to play for free! That made it even more fun!! The ‘Summer’ course is delightful & we agreed that next year, we’d like to have a picture made on the 17th/18th hole for Christmas cards – great theming. Since we’d both made holes-in-one, we had our scorecard checked to see if we’d won anything (a free drink, I think) but alas, was not to be. But again, since DH had his b-day button on, a CM stamped our receipt w/ a ‘raincheck’ so we could come play another day! Next year we’ll try the ‘Winter’ course. We were back @ POR in time for lunch @ the Riverside Mill food court & while food was predictable, it was good.
Before 4:00 we made it to MK for MNSSHP; we learned that you can’t get in before 4:00 as the card machines won’t allow the special event tickets thru. Once in, we went straight to PotC but much to our disappointment it wasn’t running. So, we hung around for the Pirate Tutorial. Although we were dripping from the humidity, we really enjoyed the show. We then went to the newly refurbished HM. Being so sentimental, I’m not sure yet how I feel about the changes to Madame Leota. But the bride scene is much improved. I’m sure there were other changes but I didn’t catch them. We backtracked to BTMR & giggled all the way through. We went back to PotC a few times but it still wasn’t open. We made our way to Buzz & the Laughing Floor – enjoyed our 1st time there. When we came out, it was raining, I mean RAINING. We find a dry spot for a time then brave it to go to SM. I lost my hand-crafted pirate princess crown on the ride but it was okay (by hand-crafted, I mean this foam-visor-crown-thing that I got from Wal-Mart & stuck foam pirate stuff on; hopefully, someone else got to have fun w/ it). The 1st parade was canceled because of the rain so, finally, PotC was open. However, while in line, it broke down again. Not wanting to miss the fireworks, we exited the ride. But the fireworks were delayed. I felt bad about pulling DH out of line because PotC was what he really wanted to see as he hadn’t yet seen the addition of Cap’n Jack. Finally, we were able to see the fireworks, which were great, & went back to at long last be able to ride PotC. Of course I thought the 2nd parade would be delayed but no, it was already in full swing. We made it to the front of the castle to see the beginning of the parade but missed the Headless Horseman – I wonder if he even rode due to the slick streets? As we began to leave, because much of the night had been a washout, we were given rainchecks to use w/in the next year, yippee! We hadn’t bothered w/ Trick or Treat bags ‘cause we sure didn’t need the candy but when I saw them (w/ ‘Pirates’ on one side & ‘Rats’ on the other, I wanted one for a souvenir). On the way out, I mentioned this to a CM who disappeared for a moment & came out w/ bags for each of us…thanks, Randie! Off to POR to catch a few winks before going home.

Final thoughts: Although we weren’t granted any ‘official’ wishes, we certainly encountered wonderful CM’s & a couple special touches on DH’s birthday. The food was fantastic & back in the real world, I’m wondering where my appetizer, dessert, & snack credits are?! We went @ a slower pace (although DH may not agree that it was slower) & had the best time with each other. It truly was a magical trip!

Here’s wishing each of you magical memories…not just on your Disney days but every day!

mickeysworld
09-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Thanks for sharing!

faline
09-17-2007, 08:07 PM
The headless horseman may not have run if the streets were slick. What a great time you had!

princess'npirate mommy
09-17-2007, 09:25 PM
We were also at the party on Friday night. The headless horesman did not appear. We still had a nice time at the party. This was our first time at MNSSHP. On a side note. My husband ran (or should I say swam) to guest services around 8:00 to get our boarding passes for Southwest. When when he got there the place was jammed with people wanting rain checks. He explained he just wanted to get boarding passes. The cast member kindly helped him with the task and also refunded our full party ticket price. I happened to write our flight confirmation info on our party ticket receipt. The cast member told him since he had the actual receipt he was able to refund our full amount. I guess this made the rain a little more bearable.

Bethis26fan
09-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Sounds like a great trip.

iheartmickey
09-17-2007, 10:25 PM
Wow! It sounds like you guys really had a great time. I'm glad you still got enjoy the party despite the rain.

Thank you for sharing! :thumbsup:

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
09-18-2007, 12:57 AM
Is the raincheck for the mini-golf good for a year also? Just wondering.

tinkergal
09-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Good question! I don't believe their was an expiration date given; I would expect the validity would be up to a year though.

GusNJacque
09-18-2007, 07:24 PM
So you got a refund for your Halloween ticket? nobody offered me that.

Wasn't it raining buckets!! I was dressed as the Queen of Hearts & that dress sure didn't like all that rain. I was MISERABLE!

I did have a good time though after the rain cleared out FINALLY.

princessgirls
09-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Thanks for sharing your adventures with us. Sorry you had rain at the party, but at least all of the activities were not cancelled.

Julie:mickey:

ktflisa
09-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Great report! Now on the Maelstrom / Margarita issue... WHAT? They did not let you take your drink in? DH and I were at the world in Oct 2005 with another couple. She and I decided we wanted to shop, and the guys were bored. They drank a marg. Decided they needed another one and also that they need to ride Maelstrom. That is their favorite memory - drinking the margarita on Maelstrom.

So no, you are not crazy - must have been Grumpy for a CM that day.

ktflisa
09-19-2007, 11:22 PM
So you got a refund for your Halloween ticket? nobody offered me that.

Wasn't it raining buckets!! I was dressed as the Queen of Hearts & that dress sure didn't like all that rain. I was MISERABLE!

I did have a good time though after the rain cleared out FINALLY.

I remember seeing you! :mickey: Great Costume! (I only saw one Q of H but I guess there could have been more :D) DH and I were there and just sloshed around with our ponchos. We thought with the rain more people would leave but they didn't. Had a great time!

GusNJacque
09-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Your kidding--you saw me? As far as I know I was the only Queen of Hearts there that night--besides the real one. :thumbsup: My best friend was dressed as Cruella and her hubby was Davey Jones.

We went over to the Grand Flo for dinner beforehand--what a scream that was. A little girl sitting on the other side of the restaurant had her Mother bring her over to me so she could see me up close and make sure that I was in fact the Queen. :funny:

crltkcagle
09-22-2007, 08:35 PM
i saw you too at the halloween party. I was dressed as a purple fairy and my kids were a ninja, a cop, and woody. my husband had a shirt on that said I AM THE TREAT. he got more comments on that dumb shirt! we got our money back too but missed everything. we left at about 9 because the kids were cranky and drenched. i really wanted to see the parade the show. do you have any pics you could share?

cal5755
09-22-2007, 08:46 PM
That stinks that it rained so bad for the MNSSHP! We had just ducked under the awning at Planet Hollywood when the pouring rain started. We are definately going to make the halloween party a priority for next trip though!! We ended up spending the 14th @ Blizzards Beach and then doing a walk in at Planet Hollywood for dinner... might I say it was delicious....way to loud though. I am glad everyone had fun depsite the rain!