PDA

View Full Version : Sept. 10-12; Report, Review, & MNSSHP, too!

tinkergal
09-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Cast of Characters: me 40, DH turned 38 on this trip

Preface: As most every Intercotee knows, your trip begins months in advance. I hadn’t expected a trip this year & only ordered the planning video to keep my Disney fix on! When I made it through a health scare this summer, DH says to me, “If I can play golf one day, then let’s go to WDW”. Well, quicker than you can say Free Dining Plan, arrangements were underway! I couldn’t believe my ears when in the midst of our trip, DH declares, “Next year we can…” So, indeed, we made next year’s reservation to again enjoy free dining. He never knew what hit him!

Day 1, Sept. 10th - arrived @ POR around noonish, checked in by a friendly CM & our room was ready, hoorah! We then boarded the boat to DtD & had delicious sandwiches @ Earl: Beef ‘n Bleu for me, Chipotle Chicken for DH. We did a quick look-see around before heading back to the room to settle in. Before long we were getting ready for our dinner @ Kona Café. We allowed plenty of transport time to get to the Poly. Since we were a little early, we enjoyed cocktails at the Tambu Lounge. Soon enough, we were seated in the Café, & our nice CM was taking our appetizer order, DH ordering the Sticky Wings & the Kona Salad for me; both were very enjoyable. On to the main course, I had the outstanding Macadamia Mahi-Mahi & DH had the Teriyaki Beef. And now, for what we’ve been waiting for, the Caramel-Banana Crème Brulee…it was out-of-this-world-delicious!! I cannot recommend it highly enough!

Day 2, Sept. 11th – wearing our flag t-shirts as a memorial for the day, we hopped the bus early to the AK as we’d never experienced a park opening. We made it in time to enjoy Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, & Pluto starting the day. We then hi-tailed it to E:E but there was no need to rush as we rode it 3 times back-to-back! I needed a break after that but it didn’t last long as we walked right onto Primeval Whirl. DH was not a fan of the spinning so no more times on that. We headed over to Dinosaur, walking right on. In fact, we were all alone in the ride vehicle! We went back for one more look @ the Yeti & then went to get in line for Finding Nemo: the Musical. While waiting, Mickey, Minnie, & Goofy came riding down the little river there, an unexpected treat! The show was delayed & as we didn’t want to wait, we said farewell to the AK & waited & waited for a bus to AKL. DH had never seen the resort & I thought he’d enjoy it. We had a relaxing lunch @ the Mara, though I can’t say much for the burgers. We were there more for the atmosphere & who can complain much when it’s free? The Zebra Domes made up for any disappointment over the burgers! Now, time for the Studios…
We head straight for ToT & are delighted to walk on. Of course, we’re sad that there’s no R’nRC but don’t dwell too much as we do a little window shopping. We enjoy some improv stuff that’s going on. Now, from here the attraction details get a little fuzzy…must’ve been the heat setting in. But we again walked on to the GMR, Backlot Tour, Narnia thing, Muppets, ST, & watched the parade. We have dinner @ Sci-Fi, our 1st time, & think it’s a hoot. We both have the mixed greens, DH has the butcher steak w/ the hot fudge sundae for dessert, & I enjoy the BBQ sandwich & the fruit salad. The atmosphere was definitely the star-of-the-show but the food was good & the service was, too. After digesting a bit, we meander our way on over to Fantasmic! The show is delayed due to rain & we enjoy seeing everyone pull out the ponchos & anything they can to cover themselves. This was DH’s first time to see the show & he was glad we waited out the weather.

Day 3, Sept. 12th – This was DH’s day to golf @ the Magnolia course & mine to enjoy shopping @ DtD. I breezed through all the shops in no time. Lunch was @ PH where I met a friend & her children who were also vacationing. I used my $15 voucher & enjoyed a wedge salad. I didn’t take note of their meals except my friend shared her brownie dessert. It was obscenely huge & delicious, too! Later, I made it back to POR to do some laundry & lounge poolside. Word to the wise: the posted laundry times say 30 minutes each for the washer & dryer. I didn’t find this to be true. The washer was less & the dryer was far longer, closer to an hour. DH joined me for a dip in the pool after having a wonderful time playing golf.
Later, we took the necessary transportation to the GF to enjoy dinner at Narcoossee’s. We liked the atmosphere, casually upscale. Although a little loud w/ the hardwood floors, it added to the distinctly ‘unstuffy’ ambiance. We were seated on the upper level, in front of the bar, so our view of Cinderella Castle wasn’t the best, but still in sight. Our CM was knowledgeable & helpful. We decided to have the suggested wines to accompany our courses & were glad that we did. For appetizers, DH had the Artisan Cheeses & I delighted in the crab cakes. The entrées were incredible, DH had the Grilled Filet Mignon and Butter-Poached Lobster Tail & I had the Crab-Crusted Halibut. Our desserts were a feast for the eyes as well, DH had the Almond-crusted Cheesecake, Inspired by The Year of a Million Dreams & I savored the Coconut-Mango Panna Cotta – just 3 words can describe this: FAB-U-LOUS! And here’s where we had a minor slip-up. With my dessert, I ordered the suggested dessert wine, a Gewürztraminer…that was a mistake. I’ve had Gewürztraminers many times but this one did not suit my palate at all, way too sweet. Even so, DH & I agreed it was well worth using 2 Table Service credits for this meal & will remember it for years to come. Oh, we did see the fireworks, partially, opting to sit @ our table rather than go outside &, as usual, I got a little misty.

Sept. 13th & 14th up next.

Jenemmy
09-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Great report! SOunds like you two were hoppin'! That's the way I tackle the world, too :mickey: Thanks for taking the time to post all the lovely details -- I really enjoyed it:thumbsup:

faline
09-17-2007, 08:02 PM
So far - lots of fun and lots of great food! Can't wait to hear what comes next!

Bethis26fan
09-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Sounds like a great trip so far, can't wait to hear more.

iheartmickey
09-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Sounds like you two are having a grand time! Seems like everything is going very smootly.

Looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip! :thumbsup:

ChipnDaleGal
09-20-2007, 03:47 PM
What a wonderful start you are off to! Great meals and short park lines! :thumbsup: Sounds like your husband is really enjoying himself. Thank you for reporting. :mickey:

disneydrmr
09-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Busy first days.. so much you guys accomplished! And all the food! With short waits to boot! Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to the rest of the story! :D

Gottaluvgoof
09-20-2007, 05:51 PM
I was at the Studios that same day. I know exactly what you mean, when you talk about the heat. That was a very hot day. It was great though, with the short lines. September is a great time, and we booked for next year also for the free dining.