PDA

View Full Version : Parking for dinner -- how long?

pwdebbie
09-17-2007, 10:32 AM
Goodness, I think someone said that you are only allowed three hours to park for dinner. Is this true?

One of my plans has been to eat dinner at the Cape May Clam Bake at the Beach Club, walk to Epcot and watch IllumiNations, then walk back to BC, retrieve our car and drive back to our resort.

Will we able to do this or not?

Deb

Figment!
09-17-2007, 10:47 AM
The guest parking pass is ~ three hours, it is only intended to allow the Guest(s) the time to enjoy a meal and/or shop/look around at the resort.

You could consider taking a taxi to the the Beach Club from your resort, it's generally fairly inexpensive and would avoid any parking issues. Then just exit the front of the park, and take Disney transportation back to your resort when leaving.

laprana
09-17-2007, 11:35 AM
When we were at WDW last June, we drove to several resorts for dinner. We kept our Poly parking pass in the front windshield, and when we got to the security gate at the other resorts, whoever was driving just had to show his/her driver's license and they let us go right into the parking lot every time. They never gave us a 3-hour pass, or a pass of any kind for that matter. We were given the 3-hour parking passes almost every time during our 2006 trip, though. Not sure if they're relaxing the rules a little bit, or if their more lenient on guests who are staying at other WDW resorts...maybe it just depends on the CM at the security gate at the time?:confused: In any case, if you are staying on property, you might just make sure the guard can see your parking pass when you pull up. Seemed to help us!

DizneyRox
09-17-2007, 11:54 AM
As I've said in other threads, resort parking is NOT meant as an alternative to the theme park lots. They cannot accomodate everyone who wants to park there instead of the theme parks.

As a courtesy to those staying at the resort, I would suggest moving the car when you are done eating and park at the Epcot lot.

On a number of occasions I have returned to the Boardwalk only to find no parking available. After the fireworks at Epcot it was a ghost town. Funny how that happens.

DisneyTwinsMommy
09-17-2007, 07:36 PM
I do think it is wrong to park at a resort and go directly to any park VIA Disney transportation or walking... In that case, you should park in the general epcot parking lot...

However, I also think that if you dine and shop at a resort you should not be forced to move your car before continuing your evening...

I may be the minority, and I know that the official policy is a three hour maximum, but let me tell you... Disney is not going to tow your car... do with that what you wish...

DVC2004
09-17-2007, 08:20 PM
The thing with the parking passes- it's meant to deter people from parking say at the Poly to ride the monorail to MK. Wouldn't you be upset if you were paying over $300 per night as a Poly guest only to have no parking left for you when you came back to retire for the night ?
I think it is fair. I would just take Disney transportation to Cape May if your plans include an evening at Epcot. :thumbsup:

mickey-mouse35
09-17-2007, 10:34 PM
I was considering doing something similar and parking at Boardwalk before Party of the Senses to save some walking time. (We're doing Animal Kingdom during the day.) I'll now plan to park in the Epcot lot. How long does it take to walk (I'm slow) from Epcot parking lot to World Showcase if I need to be there for PftS by 6 pm?

Jared
09-17-2007, 11:34 PM
The policy is fair. Guests pay exorbidant prices to stay at resorts like the Beach Club and deserve available parking. Disney provides efficient transportation, so there is no reason to abuse the system.

Take the bus to Epcot and walking to Cape May Cafe. If you're staying off-site, park in the Epcot lot and walk to dinner. After the fireworks, exit through the main gate and drive back.

pwdebbie
09-18-2007, 11:01 AM
I appreciate all the responses. We are staying at POFQ and will have our own car. Dh is disabled, although you would never know it to look at him. Part of the reason we are driving is to have our own car and avoid having to the use the bus. We had enough experiences with people glaring at him for not giving up his seat to women when we were in Williamsburg. He won't subject himself to that again.

I understand the crowds are horrendous when trying to leave Epcot after IllumiNations. Since he is normally in bed by 8:00, I was hoping that we could avoid the crowds and the traffic jams by parking at the Beach Club and leaving from there and getting back to our room sooner. He will already be exhausted (which is often accompanied by cognitive confusion / amnesia) by staying up "late" for IllumiNations. The sooner I can get him back the room, the better.

We do not have a handicapped tag -- he says that there are plenty of people worse off than him and there's no need to take up their parking spaces.

Any how, I appreciate all your answers. And I am hoping that being a Disney resort guest will enable us to park longer at BC. From what I see online, the resort parking lots are seldom full.

Deb

irish1967
09-19-2007, 09:17 PM
I don't want to rain on your parade, but I'm not sure how much "better" exiting out of the International Gateway will be after IllumiNations - There might be less people going that way, but the gateway is significantly smaller so it might be just as crowded, thus, taking just as long to get through!

You might want to consider if the benefit of watching IllumiNations is worth the cost - it sounds as if there are pretty significant ramifications for you DH if he gets too tired.

Will either of you really be able to enjoy the show? And be able to handle the consequences if, in fact, your car does get towed?

pwdebbie
09-19-2007, 10:30 PM
You might want to consider if the benefit of watching IllumiNations is worth the cost - it sounds as if there are pretty significant ramifications for you DH if he gets too tired.

Will either of you really be able to enjoy the show? And be able to handle the consequences if, in fact, your car does get towed?

Our whole trip will be very flexible, but I am planning afternoons in the room so he can sleep. I am hoping that will make evening activities easier on him. I know that if things aren't going well for him, we'll just have to head back to the room early.

We've never been before, so eveything I know is what I've read in books or at forums like this one. One book said to park at an Epcot resort and use the International Gateway in order to avoid the crowds leaving the Epcot parking lots. That's where I got the idea. I wasn't trying to cheat the system or anything, just listening to the advice of those more experienced than I.

We leave in 11 days for our trip, so I am in the final countdown now!

Deb

disneymomw_3boys
09-19-2007, 10:52 PM
I certainly can see both sides of this question, but I would err on the side of.... have a nice dinner and walk over to epcot when your done.

I just don't see where this will be the end of all civialization as we know it if you go ahead with your plan. If you look at my signature you will see this is comming from someone who stays at these type resorts.

Yes, I agree that those who park at Boardwalk as a conveinece to watch illumations are just selfish, and guess what... there are selfish people in the world, I cannot control them or change them and the fact that there are rules will not change them, but yours does not seem like a selfish act.

It is great that you are reading up and getting info on your trip, many people don't and do not see how much preplanning really needs to be considered when visiting Disney World, well, not until they are there. You have planned a Dinner at a specific resort as a convienance to see Illuminations.

In life we have rules, but not all rules can aptly take into account everyones situation. I'm sure if this parking situation gets abused to a level that inconviences resort guest, Disney will take measures to correct, but for now, for the time of year you going, for you and your husbands situation, enjoy your trip and your meal, and of course Illumintions....:thumbsup:

I think Walt would want it that way....

And no they won't tow your car.....

Hammer
09-20-2007, 12:41 AM
An option no one has mentioned is you can use valet parking. This eliminates the time limit and is absolutely allowed to any guest; however you are charged $10 for this service.

pwdebbie
09-20-2007, 08:32 AM
An option no one has mentioned is you can use valet parking. This eliminates the time limit and is absolutely allowed to any guest; however you are charged $10 for this service.

Really? I did not know about this option. I thought valet service was just for guests of the resort offering the service, not guests form other resorts. Definitely worth checking into. Thank you!

Deb

CarolMN
09-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Valet Parking is available to anyone. It should save you and your DH some walking and is a nice option to have after IllumiNations. IMHO, well worth the $10 plus tip.

Enjoy your evening.

ThanxForNoticin
09-20-2007, 12:31 PM
In general, there is a 3-hour limit on parking at a resort that you are not staying. Disney tends to be a bit tighter with that requirement at places like BC and CR, where folks like to use it for park access, not just dinner. However, the valet option is seriously your best bet. We have never been told of a time limit while parking valet, plus you can drive right up to the main entrance at the BC - that will be much more convenient for your husband. After Illuminations, you can take a liesurely 10-15 minute stroll back to BC, go to the main entrance, get your car, and you'll be on your way. Enjoy your evening.

jszczur5
09-21-2007, 02:42 PM
I do think it is wrong to park at a resort and go directly to any park VIA Disney transportation or walking... In that case, you should park in the general epcot parking lot...

However, I also think that if you dine and shop at a resort you should not be forced to move your car before continuing your evening...

I may be the minority, and I know that the official policy is a three hour maximum, but let me tell you... Disney is not going to tow your car... do with that what you wish...

We are probably in the minority here, but I agree with you 100%. We had ADRs at Concourse Steakhouse (3 weeks ago) for 7:00 p.m. We had dinner, spent $250+ at the gift shop, dropped our bags in our car, and walked over to MK for the last hour. We entered the Contemporary lot at 6:45, and left at 10:30. Nobody said anything. I really think that the amount of money spent on dinner and at the gift shop entitled us to 45 minutes of extra parking.

Dave H
09-21-2007, 03:36 PM
I really think that the amount of money spent on dinner and at the gift shop entitled us to 45 minutes of extra parking.

That's REALLY a slippery slope... at what point has one spent enough money to "entitle" them to extra parking time? $100? $250? This is basically saying that the rules don't apply to you if you crack open your wallet wide enough. I would have a problem with that.

That being said... I am also of the opinion that rules that aren't enforced shouldn't exist. That is, if Disney is advertising a three hour parking maximum for other resort guests and then not enforcing it, that is causing more problems than it's worth because it teaches people they can abuse the system. It's the same problem as Fastpasses.

Disney should either enforce the rules via ticketing (towing would be too harsh) or get rid of the rule altogether.

irish1967
09-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Deb - I think that valet is the perfect solution to your situation! Kudos to whomever suggested it!

I don't know this for a fact, but I think that the parking guidelines are in place so that Disney can "rectify" a parking situation if necessary.

I would imagine if the 3 hour passes start being abused consistently, the policy will probably change (pay lots for non-resort guests, maybe?)

If we arrived for our stay at the CR (or any resort, actually) and the parking lot was full, I would find the situation upsetting enough to request that it be rectified by resort management.

mrsgaribaldi
09-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Hi Deb :wave:
I just wanted to say that I hope you and your DH have a great time :pixie::pixie::pixie:

pwdebbie
09-21-2007, 08:40 PM
My husband was all for the valet parking when I mentioned it. He said, "With all the money we are spending on this trip . . . what's another ten bucks? Spend it!" So, much thanks to those who told me about this option.

I think we might do it again on the night we eat at the Contemporary so we can take the monorail to the MK from there and then back after Wishes.

Deb
9 days til we leave
11 days til we check in at POFQ

Tinkermom
09-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Just wanted to wish you a wonderful trip Deb! :cool:
I would suggest that if you want to exit out of the International Gateway after Illuminations that you try to get a viewing spot very close to it. There is a bridge near there that is a great spot. You will need to be sure to stake out your spot at least 1 hour before Illuminations though.
Illuminations is my favorite fireworks show!

Have fun!:mickey:

irish1967
09-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Deb - just wanted to say with the time and effort you are putting into planning this trip, you and DH should have a great time!

Please let us know how everything works out!