PDA

View Full Version : This is TOO freaky!

Christine
09-17-2007, 09:50 AM
My DH just sent me this email that is baffling all the chemical engineers out at work: TRY IT!

HOW SMART IS YOUR RIGHT FOOT

Just try this. It is from an orthopedic surgeon............This will
boggle your mind and you will keep trying over and over again to see if
you can outsmart your foot, but, you can't. It's preprogrammed in your
brain!

1. WITHOUT anyone watching you (they will think you are GOOFY......)
and while sitting where you are at your desk in front of your computer,
lift your right foot off the floor and make clockwise circles.

2. Now, while doing this, draw the number "6" in the air with your
right hand.

Your foot will change direction.

I told you so!!! And there's nothing you can do about it!

murphy1
09-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Weird!!!!:)

Terra
09-17-2007, 09:56 AM
Okay that could be hours of entertainment right there!!! LOL

drummerboy
09-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Unless, of course, you're a drummer. We're used to multi-tasking with our limbs. :D

disneydrmr
09-17-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the 'entertainment'.. got any more.. I still have 7 hours to kill before I can go home! :D

Jenemmy
09-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Mine is delayed -- it doesn't change direction until AFTER I finish drawing the 6 in the air. I was like "ooooo -- I beat it, I beat it....oh, nevermind" LOL. I must be put together wrong.

Christine
09-17-2007, 10:35 AM
:haha:

Mine is delayed -- it doesn't change direction until AFTER I finish drawing the 6 in the air. I was like "ooooo -- I beat it, I beat it....oh, nevermind" LOL. I must be put together wrong.

MissStyles
09-17-2007, 10:45 AM
you just MADE my monday morning. too funny. thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:blush:

SBETigg
09-17-2007, 10:58 AM
My foot didn't change direction. Am I weird?

Diznee4Me
09-17-2007, 10:59 AM
That was funny. I am glad no one was in my office becasue I busted out laughing. Thanks for the chuckle this morning - I needed it!:D

Christine
09-17-2007, 11:06 AM
My foot didn't change direction. Am I weird?

I'm gonna leave that one alone... :D

No, seriously, are you left handed? I wonder if that would have something to do with it? :shrug:

Ms.Disney
09-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Too funny :mickey:

mook3y
09-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Woot something to make the next 44 hours before we leave go faster!!

very wierd. hehe

BrerGnat
09-17-2007, 11:56 AM
My foot didn't change direction either. I guess I'm weird too...:shrug:

Momof2boys
09-17-2007, 12:22 PM
My foot did a weird figure 8 thing then went right back to clockwise. :blush:

Hayden's Dad
09-17-2007, 12:43 PM
That is kinda freeky. I am right handed and my foot changed direction everytime with my right hand but when I used my left hand it did not change. Even concentrating hard not to have my foot change directions it still did

darthmacho
09-17-2007, 12:52 PM
The wonders of science! All hail the sublime mysteries of the involuntary nervous system! :foot:

ibrowse17
09-17-2007, 01:08 PM
I read this and told myself I was not going to try it. After a slow morning at work, you can guess correctly that I have tried it. I shall keep the results to myselfsecret:

Figaro
09-17-2007, 01:15 PM
LOL... now that's funny.... :dory: :mickey:

k_reile
09-17-2007, 01:37 PM
soo wierd...but it is true.

Jasper
09-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Ok, my foot slowed down and I really had to concentrate but my foot never changed direction. Does that add me to the weird group?

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Unless, of course, you're a drummer. We're used to multi-tasking with our limbs. :D

That's true. The other task that musicians can do that most people can't is multiplying and drumming. I had to do this in a class in college.

DisneyDog
09-17-2007, 05:03 PM
I just had my DH do this...he's a drummer too. It's didn't work for him either!

IloveDisney71
09-17-2007, 05:07 PM
That is so weird. I can't wait to try this out on my kids! Thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:

Dsnygirl
09-17-2007, 05:45 PM
:laughing: Okay, I'm sitting here, trying SO hard to not let my foot change... and I'm just cracking myself up... good thing no one's watching!! That is so bizarre.... thanks for making me laugh!! :D

pogo
09-17-2007, 08:58 PM
:funny:Only you could bring this kind of thing into Intercot, Christine. :haha: It didn't work on me either. But I'm also a drummer. :D

disneydeb
09-17-2007, 09:31 PM
So, does this mean the world is divided into drummers and chemical engineers ?:confused::D

Christine
09-17-2007, 10:33 PM
So, does this mean the world is divided into drummers and chemical engineers ?:confused::D

:funny:

Bethanymouse
09-17-2007, 10:48 PM
That was good!:mickey:

Stan
09-17-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm an engineer (mechanical) and a musician (and a photographer) so I guess I'm all scrambled up... no problem with your foot/hand thing.

However, when I'm playing piano and someone tries to carry on a conversation with me, I sound like a complete fumblemouthed fool (I mean, even more than usual :blush:). This has gone on for decades, and I've never understood it. All I can figure is that my extemporaneous style of playing occupies some circuits required for lucid talking. Might make for an interesting EEG experiment for some desperate graduate student. On the other hand, if I'm talking about the song I'm playing (like shouting out upcoming chord changes to other musicians, or "rhythm break coming up... here") it seems to be a bit easier. :shrug:

divinedi
09-20-2007, 11:24 PM
Okay, I tried it too, and I think the correlation, for those of us who are not drummers;), is using the same hand as the foot you are rotating. I am left handed, so of course I used my left hand, with my right foot as indicated in the posts, and nothing. Then after reading more posts, I drew in the air with my right hand, and BINGO, it changed direction. Sooooo, I started rotating my left foot and wrote in the air with my left hand, and BINGO again, it changed direction. Then, I tried my left foot with my right hand, and....nothing. For me anyway, it must have to do with using the same hand. Very strange indeed!

MsMin
09-21-2007, 10:01 AM
Okay I'm going to be the killjoy. Of course it won't work if you use an opposite hand/foot combo. Remember that it's coming down the different path in the brain and spinal cord. It works similar to firing the same neurons when you have something trigger a thought. Neurons trigger surrounding neurons some fire and some don't for various reasons. The neurons w/in this combination are not strong b/c they are not used very often and when firing one it triggers the other. That explains why the drummers are not experiencing the effect. They have very strong neural pathways that have developed during many years of practice and the neuron is not effected.
If you have the time you can learn to do it; but for some it may take years..
The brain is an amazing organ. What about working with stroke or brain damaged ppl. There are some syndromes (aphasias) where you can show a person a set of keys and they can't ID it but if you shake the keys they can then tell you it's keys. Why b/c their visual memory is effected but they still have the auditory memory.
The brain never ceases to amaze me! What about the case w/ the woman w/ split personality and she had cancer w/ one personality and no signs of cancer when she was the other personality. That was strange to me. The brain is very powerful, be nice to it.

Mousefever
09-21-2007, 02:51 PM
I tried it and this is what I found. If I direct my attention to the "6" I'm drawing in the air, my foot changes direction. If, however, I watch my foot while drawing the 6, it doesn't change direction. Go figure.

:dory:

BrerSchultzy
09-26-2007, 09:35 AM
The wonders of science! All hail the sublime mysteries of the involuntary nervous system! :foot:

All hail the use of the term "sublime mysteries"! :number1:

brownie
09-26-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm gonna leave that one alone... :D

No, seriously, are you left handed? I wonder if that would have something to do with it? :shrug:

I'm left handed and it worked for me.

Bethis26fan
09-26-2007, 09:53 PM
lol, good thread

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
09-26-2007, 09:59 PM
:cool:

princessjojo
09-28-2007, 04:09 PM
That is kinda freeky. I am right handed and my foot changed direction everytime with my right hand but when I used my left hand it did not change. Even concentrating hard not to have my foot change directions it still did
I did the same thing with the same results. I really tried hard not to allow my foot to change direction with my right hand and it was like I had no control of it. It wasn't an isue with my left hand though. Weird