PDA

View Full Version : Swan & Dolphin History Question

big blue and hairy
09-17-2007, 09:26 AM
I'm sure I read somewhere that the Swan and Dolphin were built as Disney-owned hotels, but later sold off. Does anyone know the history of that?

:sulley:

Piglet822
09-17-2007, 10:20 AM
I thought I had read somewhere that the buildings were owned by Disney but the hotels themselves are operated by Starwood Corporation.

crazypoohbear
09-17-2007, 05:43 PM
I'm sure my sister Payroll princess will be on at some point to answer this

but if I remember correctly they are built on Disney property, owned I think by the tishman?company and managed one by starwood the other by westin?!
Essentially disney is their landlord. Does this help?

DisneyDudet
09-17-2007, 09:20 PM
I'm sure my sister Payroll princess will be on at some point to answer this

but if I remember correctly they are built on Disney property, owned I think by the tishman?company and managed one by starwood the other by westin?!
Essentially disney is their landlord. Does this help?

You are pretty correct, but they were built/owned by Tishman, I believe, run by Starwood. The Swan is a Westin hotel, and the Dolphin is a Sheraton.

Micheal Graves designed the hotels, as well as the remodel. It is very interesting. I was reading an old article by another Disney site, and the hotels actually have a story! Much like all of the Disney hotels. If anyone wants to read the article, just PM me. Basically, the Dolphin hotel is emerging from the rain forest. Notice the waves on the building. There are banana trees on each side as well. The Swan is based on the same, but that the Swans came and are floating on the water to see what was happening. The railings on the walkway between the hotels have a wave pattern. You are floating on the water between the hotels! It is actually very neat!

Also, the black hole/windows are to show that the hotel is a mountain emerging, and were NEVER thought to be an extension for the monorail. Also, Micheal Graves has these black squares in other buildings he designed as well.

Anyway... SORRY for the winded post! I just got so interested!