PDA

View Full Version : Gift Cards

Bringonthemouse!
09-16-2007, 05:31 PM
My DD15 has been saving furiously for our up-coming trip since she found out about it for Christmas last year. My problem is, I refuse to let her carry cash through the parks (small amounts are OK) and she is upward of $700.:shop::spend::cart:

We decided that once we arrived she could buy herself a gift card. My concern with this idea is if she doesn't use all the funds (which I really don't think she will, she's extremely thrifty), will she be able to cash it in before we return home?
Thanx!:mickey:

iheartmickey
09-16-2007, 05:34 PM
She could get a Visa gift card instead and she can use that pretty much any where.

If she wants to get the Disney Gift Card split up the money so it's not all on one .... that way if it's been misplaced she doesn't lose all that hard earned money.

IDK if she can get money if she doesn't use it all ... I don't think that's possible ... but you never know.

BronxTigger
09-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Does she have a bank account with a debit card? If she is that responsible with money, she is about that age where she could get a checking account with a parent co-signer. Then, she could have a debit card and charge things. True, there is still a problem if she misplaces it but a call to the bank as soon as it's realized it is missing can put a stop on it.

Just a thought. I think I was about 15 when my parents helped me get my first checking account with a debit card. Under their guidance, I was able to be responsible with it before leaving the house.

Bringonthemouse!
09-16-2007, 06:17 PM
Just a thought. I think I was about 15 when my parents helped me get my first checking account with a debit card. Under their guidance, I was able to be responsible with it before leaving the house.

She has actually had her own bank account for years now, the problem is for us to use Debit in another country, the service charges are insane. We actually leave our bank cards at home. Unfortunately for us, it's all cash/travellers cheques/credit cards. I was contemplating giving her charging privileges and putting her cash down instead of my credit card. What do you think of that idea?

vamaggie
09-16-2007, 06:47 PM
I was contemplating giving her charging privileges and putting her cash down instead of my credit card. What do you think of that idea?

I think that as long as you can keep a good account of who is charging and how much she has left that would work. You could also have her leave the cash at home and let her use the charging privledges on your credit card. The cash will be at home to pay the bill when it comes in.

I don't think I would put it all on Disney gift cards since I do not think you can get $ back if you don't use them all.

Strmchsr
09-16-2007, 06:57 PM
I think the idea of giving her charging privileges on her room key and making a set limit would be the best option. That way she doesn't carry cash, but you only have the money tied up that you actually spend.

#1donaldfan
09-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Charging privy seems the best way to go, plus it teaches a wonderful lesson on keeping track of the funds....when they're finally on their own, with this experience, there won't be any suprises of "why don't I have any money in my checking account".....

BronxTigger
09-16-2007, 07:29 PM
She has actually had her own bank account for years now, the problem is for us to use Debit in another country, the service charges are insane. We actually leave our bank cards at home. Unfortunately for us, it's all cash/travellers cheques/credit cards. I was contemplating giving her charging privileges and putting her cash down instead of my credit card. What do you think of that idea?

Oooooooh....missed that nasty little international detail there.

I think that just having her charge on the room key is best. If she keeps all receipts then it will be quite clear how much she owes you when you get back home. If she has saved $700 in nine months (more than many adults!) she must be trustworthy and responsible with money. I'm impressed.

ISLE39
09-16-2007, 07:43 PM
WHAT ABOUT TRAVELERS CHECKS? that way you can get the whole amount in traveers checks if she loses any they are protected and you can disperse the money to her each day in set amounts also if she doesnt finish the checks by the end of the trip at home you can just deposit them into her bank account.

I WOULD DEFINITLY NOT RECCOMEND THOSE VISA CHECK CARDS
. I just got 2 for my bday totaly 75$ i used 40 at the disney store and i could nto use the rest of the money until disney cleared that amount offf the card which took over a week. it was ridiculous.

jkj1224
09-16-2007, 08:01 PM
just to clear up the rest of the original statement if you put it all on a giftcard no you cannot get cash back if she doesn't use the full amount.