PDA

View Full Version : Across the Universe (opens wide 9/28/2007)

NotaGeek
09-15-2007, 03:02 AM
I have seen the trailer for this movie for months now and have been completely drawn in every time. BUT, I just found out this film was directed by Julie Taymore ... yes, of the Tony Award winning director of the magical stage production of the Lion King (http://disney.go.com/theatre/thelionking/)! AMAZING! I really can't wait to see the movie even more now since Julie was on Oprah today and talked about the film!

Check out the Official Across the Universe Site (http://www.acrosstheuniverse.com/) or the Yahoo Page (http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/acrosstheuniverse.html)! Anyone else excited for this film? It's gonna be an Oscar winner!

Jenemmy
09-15-2007, 08:50 AM
It does really draw you in, that's for sure! I can't even think of what my son was watching now, but I was walking through the room when that trailer started and I literally just stopped in my tracks and stared at the TV! Never moved an inch until it was over. Looks like some pretty impressive visuals and the singing sounds amazing......

Tinkerbell627
09-15-2007, 01:18 PM
As a huge Beatles fan, I cannot wait to see this movie. Plus, seeing Bono with a handle-bar mustache singing I Am the Walrus is worth the price of admission alone.

Jared
09-15-2007, 06:32 PM
I've been looking forward to this film since I first saw the trailer months ago. Roger Ebert gave "Across the Universe" four stars, but the critical reviews have so far been surprisingly mediocre. When the film opens in Syracuse, N.Y., I'll decide for myself.

tinkwest
09-17-2007, 11:19 AM
DD & I have been looking forward to this for months. Looks like it will be a love it or hate it type of film. Hoping I will love it.

Ian
09-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Don't know much about it, but given the fact that I'm a huge Beatles fan it seems like something I'd enjoy!

Jeff
09-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Don't know much about it, but given the fact that I'm a huge Beatles fan it seems like something I'd enjoy!

Yeah - that's what I thought back in '78, or was it '79, about Sgt. Pepper!!!!!:blush:

TheDuckRocks
09-18-2007, 11:32 AM
All You Need Is Love......That's me singing off key. Can hardly wait to see this one! No matter what the critics say.......it's Beatle music.:woohoo::joy:

TinyTink
10-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Has anyone else gotten to see it yet? They released it in a couple theaters in Miami a week earlier, so I was even able to see it early! I had been waiting for months for this film to be released. I thought it was AMAZING!!! I am completely in love. The imagery is awesome and the music was fabulous too!!! The covers in the movie are well done (of course, nothing is ever as good as the orginal, especially since we're talking about the Beatles here). Anyway, if you haven't seen it yet, I recommend it!!! :joy: The critics didn't give it the best reviews, but if you love the music, chances are you will like the movie too! Just hearing the music playing loud on the big screen, I was mesmerized! :cloud9:

BriarRose0708
10-02-2007, 09:32 PM
I haven't seen it yet, either. I wonder if its in limited release and hasn't gotten to the sticks yet. When I see it, I'll let you know.

TinyTink
10-02-2007, 09:46 PM
I haven't seen it yet, either. I wonder if its in limited release and hasn't gotten to the sticks yet. When I see it, I'll let you know.

Actually, I just read that it is still in limited release. It was supposed to be released Sept. 21,then pushed back to Sept. 28 and now according to imdb, the new nationwide release date is this Friday, October 5.

Jared
10-03-2007, 09:53 AM
I was wondering the same thing. The film isn't in Syracuse yet, and we usually get every major film. The cinema at the mall has 17 screens, so nothing usually gets by.

I guess "Across the Universe" can be an outing for this weekend. My parents saw it at home and adored it.

TheDuckRocks
10-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Out in no man's land here our local theater doesn't even have any posters up for this movie as a coming attraction.:(
We never got Dreamgirls either.
Guess this means we'll have to make a day trip into the "big city".

Jared
10-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Out in no man's land here our local theater doesn't even have any posters up for this movie as a coming attraction.:(
We never got Dreamgirls either.
Guess this means we'll have to make a day trip into the "big city".
You never got "Dreamgirls?" I thought that was absolutely everywhere.

TheDuckRocks
10-05-2007, 06:05 AM
You never got "Dreamgirls?" I thought that was absolutely everywhere.

Nope! The closests theater that had it was about 50 miles away so I caught it on DVD.

Jared
10-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Well, this film finally opened in Syracuse, so I may sneak into a matinée tomorrow. I'll report back.

Jared
10-26-2007, 04:37 PM
"Across the Universe" is an extraordinary, albeit unique, film. Julie Taymor took a lot of risks with her directing decisions, leading to a few unique scenes and creative adaptations of classic songs.

Movies like this one remind me why period pieces exist. I wasn't alive in the 1960s--my parents were merely children--but I felt an acute connection to the time period for two hours. Taymor created a perfect balance between true history and elaborate exaggerations to create a new world.

Realize this film is certainly not for everybody. It's experimental and unusual. I've never seen a movie quite like it, and I'm a fan of musicals. Some segments will make you scratch your head, others will touch you and the rest will take a little while to fully comprehend.

I can understand those who say Taymor's project is a colossal failure, but nobody can call it unambitious or boring. "Across the Universe" is one of my favorite three or four films of the year, and I look forward to hearing those of you who completely disagree.

NotaGeek
04-27-2008, 04:39 AM
So I finally watched this movie ... it's been a really bad year for my theater going! WOW. I really absolutely LOVED this film. The music, the cinematography, everything was stunning.

I just got the soundtrack on iTunes!

DisneyDog
04-28-2008, 10:47 AM
We watched it about a month ago. It really was amazing. We downloaded the soundtrack also.

The story certainly put a new spin on a lot of the Beatles songs. Very interesting how it was all strung together.

Funny, but it made me want to find a copy of the 1970's Sgt. Pepper with the Bee Gees, Peter Frampton, Aerosmith... it was a horrible movie, but it might be good for a laugh. The last time I saw it I was just a kid.