PDA

View Full Version : Kona Café in Review

SBETigg
09-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Friday, August 24th. 5 pm.

I’m so looking forward to a relaxing time at the Polynesian. Even though we have Pirate and Princess Party later in the evening, it’s thunderstorming and we’re in no rush to get over to the Magic Kingdom. The Polynesian is to my kids what the Grand Floridian is for me: their WDW home. Our last trip was a Poly trip and my kids fell in love with the resort.

We’re seated just a few minutes after check-in, right near the door with a view of the lobby. Our server seems a little lackluster and he pushes us to order almost as soon as we take our seats. We tell him we want a little time with the menu but make drink orders.

He comes back quickly and pesters us to order again. No problem for me. I’ve known what I wanted for weeks. Everyone else decides on starters, so we order those and ask for more time on the entrees. Does our server have any recommendations? Our server is tongue-tied, as if he’s never even heard of the food he serves. He checks a menu and shrugs. No, no recommendations. “I guess it’s all good.” I hope he’s not counting on an extra tip.

The DS orders the pot stickers, wok-seared duck dumplings with creamy ginger soy sauce and pickled cucumbers. They’re tasty, though not as good as the ones at our favorite Asian restaurant at home. The DS and I try the Lump Crab Cakes, pan-seared and served with Asian tartar and pineapple relish. The crab cakes are good, though a little over-fried and not as lumpy as I hoped. I’m also surprised at how small they are, but there are three of them and served with plenty of accompanying greens. My DD gets the Sticky Wings, and now we’re talking. The wings are fantastic. Crispy, in a garlic glaze with a tangy mustard drizzle and toasted sesame seeds. She only has a few bites, but the rest of us are more than willing to snap up her extras. Messy, but worth it.

We ordered our main dishes shortly before our appetizers came and now the main dishes are out before our starter plates are even taken away. I feel rushed and not happy with it at all. But I’m still counting on good food. "Everyone" at INTERCOT raves about the place.

The DH orders the Vegetable Rice Bowl with chicken. It’s a stir-fried mix of chicken chunks, vegetables, asparagus and sticky rice in a crispy wonton bowl. The rice is overcooked, not sticky. The vegetables are soggy, not crisp. The dish has a flavor not unlike the seasoning on packaged ramen noodles, and my husband isn’t thrilled with it.

My daughter gets the Pan Asian Noodles with chicken, which is not unlike the rice bowl only with noodles. The vegetables are equally disappointing and the flavor is the same, only milder. Milder, as in, the noodles may as well be soaking in water. There’s hardly any flavor to the dish, and it’s another disappointing choice.

My son’s Char Crusted Filet Mignon with mashed yukon gold potatoes, asparagus and a 5-spice mushroom sauce is lacking sauce, and it’s too char-broiled for his taste. Too char-broiled for anyone’s taste, I would think. It’s black and chewy, yet manages to be almost red on the inside.

We’re all hoping for better with my choice, the Macadamia Mahi Mahi served with mushroom rice, sauteed bok choy, lime-butter sauce and crispy fried onions. The fried onions are wispy as floss on top, and so greasy I can barely manage them. Not many of them, thank goodness. My mushroom rice looks congealed and tastes like rice cooked in Campbell’s low salt mushroom soup. The fish, a small bit of mush on the plate, is limp and overcooked. Not much trace of macadamia. It’s all so bland and mushy I feel as if I’m dining in a hospital cafeteria. Not good.

And true to form, the waiter comes to clear our plates before we’ve barely had a chance to whip out the salt shakers and try to make it work somehow. He doesn’t notice we’ve barely eaten. He doesn’t care. He’s ready to hustle us through dessert. And now, I’m at least hoping the Kona Café can’t ruin good ice cream.

Clearly, the waiter has tried a few of the desserts. When I can’t make up my mind which will be the lesser evil, he’s ready to make suggestions. In fact, he’s ready to give me a taste of everything on the menu. I decline and choose his recommended favorite, the Chocolate Macadamia Nut Tart, a chocolate tart shell with chunks of macadamia nut and chocolate served with vanilla ice cream and caramel rum sauce. If I don’t like it, I’m given the promise that he will bring me something else. It’s a little late to redeem himself with me, but I do appreciate the new attempt to make an effort. And aha, the tart does not disappoint! It’s moist, dense, rich, and delicious with the ice cream and caramel sauce.

But not all desserts are created equally delicious. The DH gets a banana topped crème brulee which tastes as if it has gone bad and has brown bananas (caramelized, fingers crossed?) on top. The son gets an ice cream cone, which is acceptable. The DD gets the much bally-hoed Kilauea Torte described as an explosion of warm liquid chocolate inside a brownie volcano, it turns out to be more of a drizzle of chocolate syrup from a dense, chewy brownie chunk. Edible, but by no means the dazzling treat we’re expecting. I’ve had better chocolate volcano cake at Applebee’s, and I am no fan of Applebee’s.

What a tremendously disappointing meal! And it’s still pouring out and dinner took less than an hour. There’s only one thing to do to save this meal- send the kids to explore the lobby and head for the Tambu Lounge for a conciliatory Lapu Lapu.

On a scale of:
-Highly Recommended: Must try
-Recommended: A good one to try.
-Not bad: You might give it a try.
-Unsatisfactory: I can’t recommend it.

An off night? I hope so. But It’s the only Unsatisfactory: I can’t recommend it of the stay. Try ‘Ohana or Grand Floridian Café instead.

KarenP
09-14-2007, 12:41 PM
This is very disappointing to hear!

I have always loved Kona Cafe and the Beef Teriyaki Salad on the lunch menu in particular. I have it every time I am at Disney World. The last time ate there however, it was awful. The beef was so tough and full of gristle I could barely chew some of it. I was hoping it was just a random thing but now I have to wonder.

Thanks for your review!

laprana
09-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Wow! I'm sorry your meal was so disappointing! Hopefully it was just an "off-night" for Kona! We ate there on our last trip and we all really enjoyed it. I had the same steak as your son and it was wonderful! Cooked just perfectly. Our server was great, too - very attentive, but not too pushy. Hopefully Kona isn't starting to go downhill! We're planning to go back on our next trip!:confused:

disneydrmr
09-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Wow, what a shame you had such a bad experience. Bad service AND bad food - how awful. But seeing as how you said it's the only Unsatisfactory of your stay - I'm sure all your other meals made up for this one!

tyandskyesmom
09-14-2007, 01:09 PM
Oooohhhh, I hope you just had a bad night at Kona (oh and sorry it did not live up to your expectations)! I too have read the recent glowing reviews and it is one of my most looked forward to meals on our next trip! I hope we come away with a better review!

109 more days!!!

TBY2225
09-14-2007, 01:28 PM
I am sorry you didn't enjoy Kona! It is my family's favorite resturant and I have never had a bad expirence with the Mahi-Mahi. It is my favorite dish at Disney! I am hoping it was just an off night! I will be there in a week!

pogo
09-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Sherri.... I'm so sad your Kona Cafe meal wasn't good. :( But your review was excellently written. :thumbsup:

My DW and I ate there in May of 2006 and we both enjoyed everything they brought us. Everything was great. :thumbsup: But we also treated ourselves to the Lapu lapu's to make the dinner extra special. :D

SBETigg
09-14-2007, 01:58 PM
Sherri.... I'm so sad your Kona Cafe meal wasn't good. :( But your review was excellently written. :thumbsup:

:D

Thanks, Pogo. I really want to think it was a fluke because so many people have raved about it and we've had good meals there in the past. I'm afraid to go back but if you have ADRs currently, I would keep the faith and think it will be a lot better next time.

And a lapu lapu makes everything seem so much better in the end. :)

AvonleaCF
09-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Wow what a bad night. I ate there a week after you did and it was divine.

My server did not rush me at all and my food was nicely spaced between courses. I thought the crab cakes were wonderful: lightly fries and a ton of crab meat, and much more meat than breading.

And I had the teryaki steak which was wonderful. Perfectly cooked.

The apple brown betty for dessert was amazing: piping hot and fresh and huge.

Maybe try it another night with another waiter?

DisneyOtaku
09-14-2007, 03:11 PM
That's disappointing to hear :( My sister and I ate at Kona Cafe for the first time our last trip in July after YEARS of wanting to go there and we were THRILLED with it. I had the prime rib which was probably the best meal I ate at Disney that trip. It's my parents favorite resturant as well (mom LOVES the bananna creme brule).

My friends and I are eating there next trip, so hopefully the food will be as good as last time I was there.

pogo
09-14-2007, 03:24 PM
And a lapu lapu makes everything seem so much better in the end. :)
And two :papple::papple:of them (:yes:, I did it !) makes it GREAT ! :thumbsup: :D

NJMan66
09-14-2007, 03:47 PM
I just got back from a stay at the Poly and ate at Kona Cafe this past Wednesday night. The entire 2nd floor was nuts since it was raining hard that night and everyone at the Poly was trying to get into one of the two restaurants at the last minute.

However, only after about a 1 hour wait (I had some drinks at the bar), my entire experience at the restaurant was very positive. Great server who did not rush us (3 adults 2 kids). They actually brought my kids out some salads right away at request since it was late. They took their time between the entre and the apetizer (at my request).

The food was excellent!!! I had the turkey medallians, my wife had the terryaki steak; and the kids' food was also good and healthy; no fried stuff. We had the cheese cake and the kids had sundaes. I would definitely repeat!

MinnieMommie
09-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Wow I am really sorry you had such a bad experience. I love Kona and have only good experiences there. However sometimes this happens. You hit a place on a bad night or you just don't like to flavors or cooking style. I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your dining experience on your trip. :mickey:

Jared
09-14-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm surprised to hear you had such a bad experience at Kona Cafe. It's always been one of my family's favorite restaurants.

Hopefully, you visited on a bad night and the quality isn't simply declining.

iheartmickey
09-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Wow! I'm sorry you had such a disapointing dinner!

Thank you for sharing the review. :thumbsup:

Samtastic
09-14-2007, 05:42 PM
Oh no!!! I had a really hard time deciding between 'Ohana and Kona and veered towards the Kona. I hope I didn't choose wrong

Sorry about the poor experience. :sick:

SBETigg
09-14-2007, 07:18 PM
Oh no!!! I had a really hard time deciding between 'Ohana and Kona and veered towards the Kona. I hope I didn't choose wrong

Sorry about the poor experience. :sick:

Don't worry, Samtastic. To my experience, I would have chosen 'Ohana. But to most accounts, Kona is the pick and I'm really thinking it was an off night. Really off. But it doesn't seem to be the norm, so go and enjoy!

Natazu
09-15-2007, 08:31 AM
It sounds like you had a lousy experience. I'm very sorry. I hate to hear it but I know it happens. You didn't talk to a manager? I couldn't imagine getting inedible entrees and not having discussing it with someone or at least having them replaced. Remember, everyplace blows it once in a while and they can't fix problems if they aren't told about them. With your permission, I'd like to email your comments to the manager at Kona. I know she'd want to know.

SBETigg
09-15-2007, 11:13 AM
It sounds like you had a lousy experience. I'm very sorry. I hate to hear it but I know it happens. You didn't talk to a manager? I couldn't imagine getting inedible entrees and not having discussing it with someone or at least having them replaced. Remember, everyplace blows it once in a while and they can't fix problems if they aren't told about them. With your permission, I'd like to email your comments to the manager at Kona. I know she'd want to know.

Sure, Jym, feel free to mail the review and comments. We thought about bringing it up with someone but we really preferred to shrug it off and move on at the time. Odd, for me, because I'm usually the one to tell others that they should have said something. Being on vacation and eager to keep the good time going and forget the bad made me willing to just accept it wasn't so good and shrug it off.

Also, everyone we dealt with at Kona that night seemed so disinterested in pleasing guests. From the greeter to the person who brought us to the table to the waiter, the entire attitude was that they were rushed and more interested in moving people in and out than in making sure guests were happy. I couldn't even get eye contact from anyone at the front desk. We felt like an imposition instead of feeling like welcome guests, and that made us feel less likely to accomplish anything by demanding proper attention.

luvdiznee
09-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Sorry your experience at Kona Cafe' was not good. I geuss it could be hit or miss a lot of times at the restaurants. But I can certainly taste those wings and crab cakes now. :cloud9::mickey:

pixiegoose
09-15-2007, 07:48 PM
I'm sorry that the meal didn't work out for you but as others have said, places just have off-nights sometimes. I hope it goes better for us when we eat there Wednesday and that we don't regret our decision.

less than 24 hours 'til Disney! :mickey:

brianlw71
09-16-2007, 12:41 PM
I dont understand...if the waiter rushing you, say something. If the waiter is taking away your food before you are done, say something. You should not have to feel like a victim, just because the waiter picked the wrong career.:thumbsup:

Polynesian Dweller
09-16-2007, 12:55 PM
It is too bad that you had trouble with the waiter. That happens at all restaurants. But, that is not a reason to say that the whole restaurant is Unsatisfactory. It think that may have colored your view of the food.

Food critics usually take more than one and often several trips to a restaurant before a review and this is why. A place can't really be judged on one trip. They will only give their worst rating after several equivalently bad trips.

We have been several times to Kona and can say unequivocally that the food is good there, the quality is high, and the service is most often very good. From the other comments on the board, I think that Kona rates very much higher than the review given here.

SBETigg
09-16-2007, 01:21 PM
We didn't feel victimized. We told the waiter when we weren't ready and we we had no problem with giving up on the food. A good server may have asked what was wrong with the food when we weren't eating, but I wasn't going to stop and instruct him on a better way to do his job. And he clearly got a clue by trying to redeem himself during dessert.

Obviously, we had problems with more than just the waiter. It was the entire staff on that night, and it *was* also the food. Tasteless and congealed is pretty much an indication of more than just bad service, in my opinion.

I know a lot of people have had great experiences with Kona and I also included the fact that we had enjoyed it in the past. It is one review of one experience- my experience. You don't have to agree based on your own experiences. That's what food reviews are about, sharing a particular experience. And actually, professional food critics often (in fact, most often) base their reviews on one single visit to any given restaurant. In big cities, it occasionally only takes one bad night to close an establishment down.

I'm not going to further defend the bad review. I've already conceded in multiple times throughout the thread that by most accounts, Kona is usually better and I probably visited on an off night. It still doesn't make me willing to put it on my return list or recommend it to others, sorry. And it most certainly was an unsatisfactory experience. But I'm sure Kona Cafe's staff is thrilled to find such a hot defender of their establishment on the case.

Joy2theworld
09-16-2007, 02:39 PM
I'm confused because if you yourself are saying you may have been there on an off night and you have had decent meals there in the past, why would you totally give up on the restaurant? Apparently they did something right before for you to go back... I wouldn't let one bad experience out of I'm not sure how many totally change my opinion of a place.

SBETigg
09-16-2007, 03:47 PM
I'm confused because if you yourself are saying you may have been there on an off night and you have had decent meals there in the past, why would you totally give up on the restaurant? Apparently they did something right before for you to go back... I wouldn't let one bad experience out of I'm not sure how many totally change my opinion of a place.

Because it was that bad, and there are too many good places to try and try again. I hadn't been to Kona in over six years, so my good experience there is old and with a different menu. I know a lot of people have had good experiences and love it, and I'm not taking that away from anyone by saying I had a bad experience and I don't love it. It's an opinion. Generally, how many chances do you give a place that was so bad you left disappointed? Why would I go back?

murphy1
09-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Wow, your waiter sounds like the one we had in June, his name was John, he was from NY I think he had glasses and dark hair. Very lackluster as you said, pushed us through the meal. Sounds like the same guy. We enjoyed our meal, but I doubt Disney can mess up chicken and kid's meals that much. Sorry about this experience. I greatly enjoyed just reading your CG and Narc. dinner reviews, wonderful!!

tiaramom
09-20-2007, 09:46 AM
wow
I hope its better when we go in 1 week!
I heard wonderful reviews( But I dont follow the masses). So , I will take this review into consideration too. Sorry to the folks who had a horrible meal. I hope it was just an off day- as I can see it happening. But , I know food- and can say this for the review:
I can tell quality of the meal - from that I make my judgement.
It really ***** to have a terrible waiter/waitress
I is part of the experience of dining- and will effect the whole meal! A waiter sts the mood along with atmosphere and food. With a poor combo of at least 2 being faulted , it looks like a train reck from there on in.
I know from the moment we arrive how the meal will go-
I can see it.. ( its crazy - but true)
I always say- if the bread *****- leave!
First sign-
Better luck at another restaurant!
I hope our diner will be better- gotta give it a try.

SBETigg
09-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Wow, your waiter sounds like the one we had in June, his name was John, he was from NY I think he had glasses and dark hair. Very lackluster as you said, pushed us through the meal.

Shari, I think he may have been the same server!

And I should have mentioned the bread was fantastic. We could have made an excellent meal out of several courses of that bread alone. Kona does have wonderful bread.