PDA

View Full Version : Nephews- Mickey or Minnie?

julyjewel
09-14-2007, 11:26 AM
I came across an old Disney book of mine that I had when I was a kid. There is pic of Mickey, Minnie and 3 little Mickey's. Would these be nephews? Do they have names? My 7 year old asked me so I thought I would post this on Intercot. Thanks.:mickey:

wedway fan
09-14-2007, 12:31 PM
pretty sure they're mickey's nephews...and they have names, though i can't for the life of me remember any of them right now.

madenny
09-14-2007, 12:58 PM
I know about Mortie and Ferdie.:mickey: I've always been surprised they don't get the attention like Huey, Duey and Louie.

BigRedDad
09-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Morty (nephew), Ferdie (nephew), and Madeline (cousin). I think that is how it went.

wedway fan
09-14-2007, 04:52 PM
morty and ferdie- of course! don't think i've ever heard of madeline.

you know, if mickey has nephews, it means he's also got a brother or sister. anyone ever heard mention of that branch on the family tree?

Mufasa
09-16-2007, 03:05 AM
In the official Disney company recognized Mickey family tree his nephews Morty and Ferdy were introduced September 18, 1932 (in a Floyd Gottfredson Mickey Mouse Sunday comic strip).

Things get confusing because of different comic strips, books and stories released in different countries (all with different names depending on the publisher in each respective country).

In the original comic strips, their mother was only referred to in the English versions as "Mrs. Fieldmouse" and initially it wasn't exactly clear this was Mickey's sister but was later expanded and accepted as Mickey's sister.

In Dutch the name for their mother was listed as Amalia Maus and for a while Anglicized and generally listed as Amelia however today the accepted name is Felicity (at least with the comics put out by Egmont Publishing I believe and some re-issues of classic comic strips and books).

Minnie is officially recognized according to the Disney archives as having twin nieces- Melody and Millie although the only one that really consistently shows up and the name generally agreed upon really is Melody, as she was often used to drive Morty and Ferdy crazy in the 60's.

Melody and Millie's first recognized appearance together was in a comic book from 1962 but only Melody tended to appear in later stories alongside Morty & Ferdy.

In fact, as far as film appearances- in 1983's Mickey's Christmas Carol, it's assumed that the role of Bob Cratchit (Mickey's) sons including Tiny Tim were portrayed by Morty and Ferdy (not sure which one was Tiny Tim though) and Melody is assumed to appear as Cratchit's daughter but no sign of Millie.

magicofdisney
09-16-2007, 07:47 AM
In the official Disney company recognized Mickey family tree his nephews Morty and Ferdy were introduced September 18, 1932 (in a Floyd Gottfredson Mickey Mouse Sunday comic strip).

Things get confusing because of different comic strips, books and stories released in different countries (all with different names depending on the publisher in each respective country).

In the original comic strips, their mother was only referred to in the English versions as "Mrs. Fieldmouse" and initially it wasn't exactly clear this was Mickey's sister but was later expanded and accepted as Mickey's sister.

In Dutch the name for their mother was listed as Amalia Maus and for a while Anglicized and generally listed as Amelia however today the accepted name is Felicity (at least with the comics put out by Egmont Publishing I believe and some re-issues of classic comic strips and books).

Minnie is officially recognized according to the Disney archives as having twin nieces- Melody and Millie although the only one that really consistently shows up and the name generally agreed upon really is Melody, as she was often used to drive Morty and Ferdy crazy in the 60's.

Melody and Millie's first recognized appearance together was in a comic book from 1962 but only Melody tended to appear in later stories alongside Morty & Ferdy.

In fact, as far as film appearances- in 1983's Mickey's Christmas Carol, it's assumed that the role of Bob Cratchit (Mickey's) sons including Tiny Tim were portrayed by Morty and Ferdy (not sure which one was Tiny Tim though) and Melody is assumed to appear as Cratchit's daughter but no sign of Millie.
That is so fascinating. I had no idea these characters existed. Thanks for that little bit of history. :mickey: