PDA

View Full Version : Tipping towncar drivers and tipping ME drivers

jenperich
09-13-2007, 10:56 PM
Hello all! I am debating whether or not to hire a towncar for our roundtrip transportation or whether to just use ME. It's kind of expensive to use a towncar, but it's a lot more freedom to use that rather than ME. However, for either one...how much do you usually tip the drivers? I'm just curious. Thanks all!

LoriMistress
09-13-2007, 11:32 PM
DH and I have used MEARS previously, and this time around we're going to use a towncar service. There are several reasons why for us:

Waiting long to notify MEARS that you're there, wait 45 minutes for the bus to load up, plus another 15 minutes for last minute stragglers.

Stoppping at many resorts before being dropped off at our resort.

Can't stop at a grocery store to pick up last minute items

This time around, I like the idea of someone helping us with our bags, being treated "first class", stopping at a grocery store along the way, and arriving at our resort without any issue.

Beast_fanatic
09-13-2007, 11:46 PM
The generally recognized "standard" for tipping a towncar is a total of 20% (10% on each leg). For example, if the total roundtrip fare was $100, the tip would be $10 for the trip to your resort and $10 back to the airport (so that if you get different drivers each receives their tip). Also, if you have a lot of bags, or particularly heavy bags, then you might tip a bit extra.

For Disney's Magical Express, I'd suggest $1-2 per bag (if they handle any luggage for you). If they don't handle any luggage for you, then $1-2 per person.

DizneyRox
09-14-2007, 06:51 AM
I tip $10 per trip for a towncar/limo. ME gets nothing.

Carol
09-14-2007, 09:29 AM
I prefer the personal service of a towncar and always tip at least $10 each leg. Often more if the person is outstanding, my luggage deems or if I'm flying in late at night.

If I were to ever use Magical Express - I would certainly tip the driver for their service.

PawleyPlatoon
09-14-2007, 09:43 AM
By the way, I used Happy Limo for the first time on our trip in June. GREAT SERVICE!!!! I had used a different service prior to this and Happy Limo beats them hands down. Great driver and I felt like a celebrity!!:thumbsup:

With the quick, PERSONAL service and stop at the grocery store, it can't be beat. I'll never go back to public service (bus) or try Magical Express. It's worth every penny for us!

martinfamily5
09-14-2007, 11:35 AM
DH loves car service. I wanted to use ME this trip for the price. He insisted on towncar and now that our trip is getting closer I am glad that he did. We are cancelling our grocery stop ($10) and having them delivered per Garden Grocer ($12) instead. We tip 10% each direction. We use Florida Towncar and have been very happy with them. They are very accomodating.

DONROCK
09-14-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm so glad you posted this question. It really hadn't occured to me to tip ME bus driver. I certainly would tip if they were handling my bags, but just for the ride?....I guess I assumed it was just like any other day getting on a Disney bus (like traveling to the parks).

ElenitaB
09-14-2007, 08:35 PM
We've used towncars in the past and DME now. I always tipped our towncar drivers $10 each way.

Our DME drivers get a minimum of $5 each way (sometimes more). The service they offer is quite different from getting on a Disney bus from your resort to a park. To begin with, they often handle luggage, something a WDW bus driver doesn't do. And though it is invisible to the end user, they are on a very different pay scale from the WDW drivers. Some may not care, but I most certainly do.

Piglet822
09-14-2007, 09:55 PM
ME gets nothing.

This statement makes me curious. While everyone is entitled to their thoughts and beliefs I would like to point out a couple of things.
I am a DME driver, as many of you already know. I work for Mears, not Disney. We rely on tips and make less hourly than other bus companies in the area.
While I might not be offering personalized service compared to what you would receive in a town car or limo, I am providing a service. Whether you or anyone tips is a personal decision, however, I do want to point out that taxi drivers are usually tipped whether they handle luggage or not.
While I know not all DME drivers go out of their way I try and make a point of greeting each person and doing my very best to offer excellent guest service. Whether you tip me or not.

Jeri Lynn
09-15-2007, 07:44 AM
I have used both Happy Limo and DME.

On our upcoming trip with my sister and our husbands we will have a town car pick us up and will tip him a minimum of $10 each way.

In November on the trip with my sister, DD and her BF we will use DME and I always tip the driver. They are providing us with a service and anytime I have used the DME the driver has been friendly and helpful. We usually tip the same, a minimum of $10.

In HS I was a waitress and tips meant alot, even though at the coffee shop I worked at we "pooled" tips. I tend to be generous with tipping, especially in Disney because I am in my Happy Place!

DONROCK
09-15-2007, 11:30 AM
I will definately tip my ME driver! I'm so thankful this was brought to my attention and I apologize for my ignorance in this matter.:blush: