PDA

View Full Version : Planning for meals

Samtastic
09-13-2007, 03:12 PM
I know lots of people here hate ADRs because it's "too planned", but does anyone plan (i.e. fixate) on what they are actually going to eat. Reading all these reviews and info makes my mouth water and I dream of eating the myriad of delicious treats that are in store for me in January (btw I'm such a foodie!) :cloud9:

My DBF and mom are thinking I'm totally weird--my dad doesn't, he's where I get that "fixating" thing from. Does anyone else do this?? I know Jan is a while away (16 weeks--too long!!!) but I can't wait and I feel that planning what I want to eat: a) makes me even more excited and b) also satisfy my urge for disney (kinda...)

princessM0m
09-13-2007, 03:32 PM
I do this sometimes. However, what I find is that by the time I get there the menu has changed and what I was dreaming of is no longer offered. On a different note, when we went on the DDP last December I looked at the menus very carefully to see what I might be interested in, then used the prices to calculate whether or not I would be getting my money's worth. I pretty much broke even, but barely.

TBY2225
09-13-2007, 03:51 PM
My husband says I am OCD, but yes, I plan everything to the smallest detail. We are leaving in 8 days and I went today and decided on everything I want to eat in all the TS resturants we have ADR's for!

illini
09-13-2007, 04:16 PM
such a timely thread for me.

dh just got a wee bit fed up with me two nights ago. i was forcing him to listen to the kona and chefs de france dinner menus (i was reading them off info central while he was trying to do something in another room). he was rolling his eyes. then i mentioned macadamia crusted mahi mahi. he came and joined me. lol.

i'm just disappointed that we somehow ended up with more buffets than i wanted and i can't plan a bit more. :blush: i know why we did it, but *sigh*. planning what to eat months in advance is fun!

illini
09-13-2007, 04:17 PM
coming back to add...

i love doing this but get really annoyed with ADRs. i don't think they're mutually exclusive.

Samtastic
09-13-2007, 04:47 PM
he was rolling his eyes. then i mentioned macadamia crusted mahi mahi. he came and joined me. lol.

Haha seems like your husband and my boyfriend have similar tastes...all I had to do was say that to him and he was like Kona it is!! I do feel sometimes like a trip nazi, but it's not my fault he's not into planning as much as I am (plus I'm a much bigger foodie...he's learned to trust my food judgement) Last trip all he wanted to eat at was Coral, which we both agreed as well as 50's-- (btw planning the fried chicken and a cherry diet coke--haha) and 9 dragons. I pleased him very much when I found the recipe to the honey sesame chix (the only thing he wanted) so now we don't need to go back this time.

I"m totally fixating. It's almost painful I have to wait so long, and I know some menu will change...and the brighter side it made shopping for the DDP much easier (it's a still a value for me!)

January-2007
09-13-2007, 05:27 PM
We looked at menus when I was making the ADRs to make sure there would be something both of us would like wherever we went and actually ended up changing a few restaurants. Now I'm getting worried that my eyes are bigger than my stomach and I'm seriously not going to be able to eat all this rich food everyday so I've been scouring the menus making sure there's something light like grilled chicken or something normal like pasta available. And there is. We both know what we're getting at Le Cellier our first night, Filet Mignon! After that, who knows... :mickey:

tinksmom02
09-13-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm not sure I would consider it fixating, but I do check out the menus before I make ADR's, to make sure there's something that all of us will like.

Then I go back and check them again, pretending it's the ADR time and I pick out what I want.

Then I go back, a few weeks later, to see if my tastes have changed since the last time I checked.

OK, so maybe it is fixating LOL :blush:

Madame Leona
09-13-2007, 10:05 PM
We don't usually make adrs but I do keep an eye on the menus (both ts and cs). I'm a somewhat picky eater and have food allergies on top of that so I really need to know in advance where I can eat and where I can't. I know that the chefs are wonderful and work around the food allergy thing but I would rather just order something as is than have something special. I'm a blend into the crowd, do not draw attention at any turn kind of person. Anyway, I can pretty much recite any ts or cs menu that dh wants. It's an obsession but he loves it when it comes time to eat and I can pick a restaurant on the fly.

mouseketeer mom
09-14-2007, 03:06 PM
I don't fixate on it, but I do read the menus of the new places we'd be trying, and because I've read them alot, I pretty much know what I'd be getting! As for our tried and trues, like Ohanas, my DH and I will say, Ummm, can't wait for those potatoes again..and my kids will say they can't wait for the orange guava juice in the Polys concierge lounge. I'm always up for trying new things tho, and eating at Disney is the best for doing that!

princessM0m
09-14-2007, 03:25 PM
but it's not my fault he's not into planning as much as I am

I love this comment! I'm a planner, too. If you are not a planner (like my DH) you need me to plan for you. Trust me, in the end you WILL see that it is to your benefit.:D

IloveDisney71
09-14-2007, 08:27 PM
And I thought I was a major trip planner! I always check out the menus when we are selecting ADR"S so I know there is something for everyone in my group. BUT I've never actually "fully" planned what I wanted to eat. I feel like such a slacker! LOL :laughing::funny::silly: But I will say that I have my favorites: the mushroom filet at LeCellier and the wings and dessert at Ohana.

drhama
09-14-2007, 09:03 PM
I am a planner myself but looking at the menus is not just about planning. It is also about looking forward to the wonderful food choices. We live in a small town where your international choices are Taco bell and Round Table Pizza. It is not really that bad, but close. I have set my sights on a particular entree only to find that the menu had changed. Oh well, it's not like the other choices are not also tempting. Sometimes the fact that the menu is different than I had expected makes me branch out a bit. Try something different. At WDW it's all good.:tasty:

mainemajor
09-14-2007, 09:05 PM
My son and I spent a lot of time going over menus before we made our ADR's. Once we knew what and where we wanted to eat we shared with my wife/his mother as to our plans would be for our trip. I had planned most of my meals well befor we left home. This was one of the best parts of planning our trip. Boys gotta have their food you know:cloud9:

SAHDad
09-14-2007, 10:38 PM
For our next trip, I made the ADRs after I had gone over a lot of the menus. I admit that I initially was browsing the menus mainly to avoid places with shellfish (since my wife is allergic), but started thinking along the lines of "Hrm, I could get this for dinner on Friday, and then we could eat lunch here on Saturday, and there would be a good place for dinner. . . ."

Jared
09-15-2007, 01:25 AM
Having the menus online is a major distraction. I'm constantly checking for updates, even when I don't have a trip upcoming. Usually, I plan all my meals before I arrive. I make my reservations based on the online menus, so I make sure to find at least one item I will definitely enjoy. Perhaps I'm slightly obsessive, but no Disney restaurant unleashes a major surprise.