PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi Dine-In in review

SBETigg
09-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Thursday August 23, 11 am

As we wait for our table, I really feel as if I’m in a staging area getting ready for a show. Pretty exciting! A few families try for walk-in seating and are turned away. Sci-fi is all booked up.

My kids don’t really know what a drive-in movie is like, but I can still remember the thrill of watching movies from the back seat, the speaker attached to my dad’s driver-side window, and the pre-show ads for the concession stand making me wish my cheapo parents would go buy some popcorn instead of making me eat the snacks we brought from home.

Our table is ready and we’re brought through the dark “parking lot” to our convertible. We let the kids take the front seat so we can make out in back. No, we behave ourselves. Service is so prompt that we barely have a chance to decide what we want, so he takes our drink orders (oreo cookies and cream shakes for the kids, iced tea for the adults) and comes back later.

The theming is really well done at Sci-Fi and it sets the tone for a good time. The night sky, cars with headlights, and funny old movie clips really do entertain us. Sitting in the cool air-conditioning makes us realize we’re hungrier than we thought.

The kids start with onion rings to split. Good onion rings, but nothing special. The DH gets a salad of mixed greens with diced tomatoes and onion tossed with ranch dressing. Good salad, but nothing special. I opt for the BLT Soup, a creamy tomato basil soup, topped with an herb crouton, freshly shredded lettuce and bacon.

The soup is a little on the sweet side, but pretty good. I like how they’ve topped it with an abundance of lettuce and bacon (almost like a salad and soup together, a “souper” salad, yuk yuk) and the crouton is more like an island, so big I have to cut it with a knife and fork. Yes, this soup is a meal and I’m a little sorry that we got carried away and ordered a sandwich to split, too.

The DH and I split a Reuben. It’s a good reuben, not open faced, and it comes with fries, but again it’s nothing special. The kids both get the Angus Chuck Burger, which is pretty special if you’re a cheeseburger fan. It’s a thick flame broiled beef patty topped with your choice of cheddar or swiss cheese, sauteed onions, mushrooms or crispy bacon and served with a choice of cucumber-melon salad or french fries. Both kids get fries. The burger is thick, juicy, and really good.

Unfortunately, most of my DD’s remains uneaten. With the exception of a Casey’s hot dog, it is the first beef she has had in over two years and she realizes that she isn’t ready to go back to eating beef almost as soon as it comes. Cheeseburgers used to be her favorite thing, but she has changed and there’s no going back.

We leave Sci-Fi not overstuffed but satisfied and ready to keep it on the list to try it again one day. The food is not especially unique or fantastic, but it certainly was not bad and the atmosphere is a lot of fun.

On a scale of:
-Highly Recommended: Must try
-Recommended: A good one to try.
-Not bad: You might give it a try.
-Unsatisfactory: I can’t recommend it.

It rates a Not bad: You might give it a try. But try it for lunch or snacks. Sandwiches, soups, and lunch fare seems to be their thing and I’m not sure what to think of the dinner offerings.

apequet
09-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Still sounds like a neat place to see, atleast once. Thanks for the review! We are going in Dec. I can't wait!! :mickey:

disneydrmr
09-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Yeah, that's how I felt about Sci Fi.. nothing really special about their food. I LOVED the BLT soup.. but everything else was just so-so. The atmosphere more than makes up for it and it is a place I'd go back to.. but like you said, more for a snack...

January-2007
09-13-2007, 05:05 PM
DH and I love this restaurant, it's our every trip place. We're going for lunch and paying out of pocket for it next week, we just get burgers and waters and are absolutely stuffed from it, I can't imagine ordering more. We like the atmosphere a lot and last time our server was terrific. I'm glad you all enjoyed it, even if your daughter didn't eat all of her meal. I feel for her, I was a vegetarian for a few years and it's still hard to eat meat sometimes.

mousaholic
09-13-2007, 05:29 PM
The spinach artichoke dip is super yummy and so is the pasta dish!!!!!! We always make it a point to go there!

tinksmom02
09-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the review! We're trying Sci-Fi a week from Saturday and have already decided to just do snacks and such. DD5, strangely, is very much looking forward to eating in a car and watching the old scary movies LOL

We're going in knowing the atmosphere is the strong suit.

Anyway, thanks again! I've really been enjoying your reviews!

SgtTigger
09-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Hey Sherri you did not drive off with the speaker still attached to your car did you?????

Thanks for the review... I really like this restaurant and it is a must do for us every trip. I could sit there all day and enjoy the place....

:cop: :tigger:

Tink#64
09-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Loved the story of your experience!:mickey:
SciFi is on our list every trip. We always do lunch there. We actually enjoy our food, I know I usually get a chicken sandwhich & it's decent. The atmosphere is tops! We have a drive in in our part of town & go fairly often during the summer months. DS's love it. Most of us no longer sit in cars though, they've done away with the speakers & the sound comes through your radio. We bring our camp chairs & sit behind our van with the hatch up for DS's to lay there & watch. So everyone sitting in the cars still a novelty for us!

Great review, thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:

WDW Dreamer
09-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Great report! Will be eating there in just a few months. :eat:

Mrs Grumpy
09-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the great report!!

Is it true that you can still order a cheeseburger for dinner even though it is not on the menu?

We want to try it next time but there isn't much on their dinner menu we are interested in and we prefer to do our TS meals for dinners.

KarenP
09-14-2007, 12:45 PM
I have always liked Sci-Fi too. The food is good (not great) and the atmosphere is awesome!

deva
09-14-2007, 01:02 PM
Great report. I love it too!

Bethis26fan
09-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Can't wait to try it on our next trip.

thejens
09-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Great review. I agree totally. I am a bit of a food snob and would probably skip it after the first time, but my boys (3 and 9) absolutely LOVE this place. I have to admit it is fun.

Jared
09-17-2007, 11:17 PM
Thanks for another great review. My family tried the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater a few years ago and had a decent experience. We liked the atmosphere but probably wouldn't try the restaurant again. Other places simply serve better food.

RAIDER
09-18-2007, 07:39 AM
Its always a must do when i go to MGM ..yes the food is ordinary but you cant beat that unique atmosphere .... ( however they do the best milkshakes in all of WDW :thumbsup::number1: )