PDA

View Full Version : Drinking around the world

SandmanGStefani24
09-12-2007, 07:44 PM
well, I'm gonna attempt to "drink around the world" this next trip. (though I'm not too sure I can make it...hangovers aren't really my thing:D) I know Mexico has great :marg:s at La Cantina, but did anyone have a great drink at one of the other countries? Anything stand out good or bad? Or, were any other locations just great places to sit for a while and have a drink?

SBETigg
09-12-2007, 07:54 PM
The Grey Goose slush from a stand outside France is really good, and pretty light, not very big. We had some Riesling in Germany, did wine tastings in France and Italy, ale in the UK, wine in Canada. Not all on one day, though. The Viking coffee is supposed to be pretty good in Norway.

Mnchknbrat1982
09-12-2007, 07:59 PM
I too plan to get a drink in each country!

Mickey'sGirl
09-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Started in Canada one time -- made it to Norway. (I was stopped by the Junkanoo and a rum runner en route). There are lovely quiet and shaded tables behind the bakery in Norway. I suggest sharing a drink with someone at each port of call --- :twocents:

TinkRocks
09-12-2007, 08:39 PM
If you're going to Epcot on more than one day, you may want to do ½ the world showcase on one day, and the other ½ on the other day.

Alternatively, sample the beer on one day and wine on the other.

Crow
09-12-2007, 10:00 PM
i love Epcot:beer:
frozen :marg:used to b my fav drink. but i discovered the new tea stand in China and their slushies:thumbsup:
otherwise, love the sake in Japan.
beer sampler or black n tan in England
slushie or wine in France
viking coffee in Norway
wooooo only wk n half or so:beer::marg:

Mnchknbrat1982
09-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Don't know that I will get a drink in every country but sure am going to try. As I am not a beer drinker and I am not a heavy drinker either. Love me a mix drink though!

mook3y
09-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Well, I am planning on attempting this soon!
My wife has agreed to keep an eye on the kids and let me try.

We will be at BWV in just over a week. I figured that was as good as any time to give it a shot! (pun intended).

Will report back how far I made it!

:party:

Clotho
09-12-2007, 11:57 PM
We just drank around The World last week, and had great success sharing drinks between us. Didn't feel overly buzzed at the end. And we took our time.

Norway and America were the disappointing locations for us. They had a handful of CALIFORNIAN wines and then Carlsbad beer. So of course we had the beer, which is good. In America they had Samuel Adams. Are you kidding? Of all the things we could have had in America, this is the one they felt represented America best? Bleh.

But our faves were definitely the Grey Goose Citron Slush in France, the Mango Margarita in Mexico, and the sweet red stuff in Italy I can't remember the name of. You can't miss it. It is in a distinctively shaped bottle and is a deep dark ruby red color. Fizzy, in a champagne flute. Ask for a piece of dark chocolate to go with it--they will give you a piece or two free and it is DIVINE to have together with the drink!

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-13-2007, 12:59 AM
We do the wine flights at Germany and drink a liter beer at Biergarten. Then walk to Italy for wine and move on to France for some more wine. This time will be start with Mexico an have a margarita. Everone has made them sound so good.

Medland
09-13-2007, 01:03 AM
our faves were definitely the Grey Goose Citron Slush in France, the Mango Margarita in Mexico, and the sweet red stuff in Italy I can't remember the name of. You can't miss it. It is in a distinctively shaped bottle and is a deep dark ruby red color. Fizzy, in a champagne flute. Ask for a piece of dark chocolate to go with it--they will give you a piece or two free and it is DIVINE to have together with the drink!

I believe what you are describing from Italy is Rosa Regale sparkling wine. My husband and I tasted this while on our 2005 trip and we loved this so much we bought a bottle to take back to Minnesota with us! We made sure to share a glass as we ate and drank around the world on our honeymoon the next year!

TheAdventurer
09-13-2007, 11:01 AM
I do this every trip!

I love the Spaten Optimator beer in Germany.

And Clotho, what do you want to represent USA? Sam Adams is great! Norway used to have a much better beer, Ringes, but Disney sold out to the Carlsberg distributor :mad:

Also, Le Cellier has some great microbrews from Quebec, and, though it's not advertised, if it's not super busy they'll sell you one take out. And get some take out Canadian cheese soup to go with it...yum!

PirateLover
09-13-2007, 11:27 AM
We did this! SOO much fun. We all got drinks from about 4 countries including liters of beer when we ate at Biergarten, after that we started sharing drinks. Most of what everyone else has recommend is good. Grand Marnier slush was excellent. The most surprising drink was probably the beer in china. The CM recommended "Tsing Tsang" (sp?) and said it was the #1 beer there. It was pretty darn tasty!

MickeyandTink
09-13-2007, 11:49 AM
The most surprising drink was probably the beer in china. The CM recommended "Tsing Tsang" (sp?) and said it was the #1 beer there. It was pretty darn tasty!

I think you mean Tsing Tao (I've always pronounced it "ching dow", but I'm not 100% positive that is the correct pronunciation. It's a pretty good lager. The brewery was originally founded about 100 years ago by German settlers in China (Those Germans do know :beer:)

My brother and I tried to drink the world when I was last there 19 years ago. About halfway through we stopped because we were getting a little too tipsy and a lot too poor (we were college students at the time). I don't think I'll try it this time, but definitely plan to hit a few countries (The grey goose slushies sound good). But what are the viking coffee and china tea drinks everyone is talking about?

SignguyTom
09-13-2007, 12:35 PM
I think you mean Tsing Tao (I've always pronounced it "ching dow", but I'm not 100% positive that is the correct pronunciation...

Close, but it is pronounced "Zing Dow", and yes, it is very good!

xipetotec
09-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Close, but it is pronounced "Zing Dow", and yes, it is very good!

Actually my understanding is that the pronunciation depends on which part of China you are from.

magicman
09-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Actually my understanding is that the pronunciation depends on which part of China you are from.

Actually, pronounciation depends on how many of them you've had to drink.
1st Drink - Zing Dow
2nd Drink - Shing Dow
3rd Drink - Sning Dow
4rth Drink - Sling Down
5th Drink - Froamy Drinky Thring

Roo Girl
09-13-2007, 02:19 PM
I definitely plan to do a pub crawl around Epcot during the F&W festival this Nov. The last time we went to the festival (2004) it was SO HOT that drinking was NOT an option- I would have passed out. But this year I hope it is milder. I'd like to try out some appetizers and spirits from each area. That's almost a thrill ride in itself!! :marg:

dog-ears
09-13-2007, 03:07 PM
frozen :marg:used to b my fav drink. but i discovered the new tea stand in China and their slushies:thumbsup:

At Joy of Tea in China, did you try the Peach Oolong Tea Schnapps Slush or the Green Tea Plum Wine Slush?

I am curious about both.

SandmanGStefani24
09-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Actually, pronounciation depends on how many of them you've had to drink.
1st Drink - Zing Dow
2nd Drink - Shing Dow
3rd Drink - Sning Dow
4rth Drink - Sling Down
5th Drink - Froamy Drinky Thring

:D:laughing:

thanks for the laugh you gave me!

tinksmom02
09-13-2007, 09:43 PM
Could someone give a description of the Viking Coffee?

In January I tried to drink around the world, but it ended up being: drink in one country, visit the restroom in the next. :blush: I have a very small bladder.

I love to stop for a Harp in england, though, it reminds me of my Ireland pub crawl in 2001.

Can't wait to try a grey goose slush!

Crow
09-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Could someone give a description of the Viking Coffee?

In January I tried to drink around the world, but it ended up being: drink in one country, visit the restroom in the next. :blush: I have a very small bladder.

I love to stop for a Harp in england, though, it reminds me of my Ireland pub crawl in 2001.

Can't wait to try a grey goose slush!

Viking Coffee - Kamora Coffee Liquet and Baileys Original Irish Cream:thumbsup:

Crow
09-14-2007, 08:33 PM
At Joy of Tea in China, did you try the Peach Oolong Tea Schnapps Slush or the Green Tea Plum Wine Slush?

I am curious about both.

yes i had both & loved them...
the CMs say when i ordered them" it has alcohol in it is that ok?" and i say yes thats why i ordered them....now i cant remember which i liked the best...so i will have both again in a wk.
as far as the beers, Ringes from Norway was my fav, thats why im sad its gone.
SAm Adams i like so thats ok for me for a US rep
tried the Spaten in Germany n didnt like it
Tsing Tao i like....
im ready now!

IloveDisney71
09-14-2007, 08:55 PM
I'm not beer or wine drinker but I love margaritas, so I'll be stopping by Mexico to pick one up. The Grey Goose slush in France sounds like something I'm definitely going to try. I'm so glad I saw this post. :marg:

SAHDad
09-14-2007, 09:09 PM
I plan on trying the Drinking Around the World on my next trip, as a reward for finishing the Goofy Challenge. I'm not sure if I'll get all the way round, but my current plan is to minimize my (increasingly) drunken stagger by starting in Mexico and moving clockwise, hopefully finishing in time for the final beer to coincide with the dinner ADR at Le Cellier.

tinksmom02
09-14-2007, 10:10 PM
Viking Coffee - Kamora Coffee Liquet and Baileys Original Irish Cream:thumbsup:

Thank you! Can't wait to try it!