PDA

View Full Version : Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

Mr. Brass Bonanza
09-12-2007, 05:51 PM
You may think I'm nuts, but I want to read the entire "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" by Edward Gibbon. There are so many editions out there that I don't know what to buy. I want it all...the whole thing...unabridged. Can anyone help?

Thank you!

SgtTigger
09-12-2007, 06:56 PM
All I know is what I learned from EPCOT....

Rome built plenty of roads Because all roads lead to rome and that led to its downfall and everything burned and you can smell it on the ride.........

Wait I did not ruin the book for you did I........ If so that really did not happen..... :shrug:

:cop: :tigger:

Mr. Brass Bonanza
09-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Thanks a lot!!! But I HOPE there is something you left out that is in the seven volumes!

SgtTigger
09-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Thanks a lot!!! But I HOPE there is something you left out that is in the seven volumes!

WOW 7 volumes..... I must have left out something......... We really need to read this........

I must have given the abridged version

:cop: :tigger:

mook3y
09-12-2007, 11:34 PM
You may think I'm nuts, but I want to read the entire "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" by Edward Gibbon. There are so many editions out there that I don't know what to buy. I want it all...the whole thing...unabridged. Can anyone help?

Thank you!

After taking a Roman History Class, I was pretty interested in the subject. It is fascinating. I think you can learn all you would want to know by using google and searching for "roman history", "roman republic", "roman empire", "caesar's" and "augustus". That will keep you reading for quite a while. :D amazing what they accomplished.

ibrowse17
09-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Rome was a republic prior to Augustus Ceasar. He was the first emperor, and began a 200 or so year period of peace, reform and growth known as the Pax Romana (Roman Peace). Searches for the Roman Empire should start with him.:thumbsup:

FlaTinkRAMESAM
09-14-2007, 10:47 AM
I think it is an interesting topic to be breached, all though I won't read a 6 volume work... that is a little excessive...lol but more power to yah if you can!

Gibbon was hot stuff durign the Enlightenment. This guy spent pretty much his entire life studying ancient Rome (I was good for it when I took western civ thanks). He read every document, letter, parchment, etc that he was able to get. His big idea was that Rome didn't fall because of corruption or wicked Casers, but instead barbarian attacks from the outside coupled along with the Christian faith inside. He had a beef with Christianity. He believed (and wrote) that Christianity had turned Romans away from their civic duty, courage in battle, loyalty to their capital. Instead they were all lovey dovey with loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek, looking for miracles and heavenly rewards. (note: I have no problem with Christianty--just giving you some historical facts and the thinking of Gibbon).

Another thing he did that really ****** off the church: mocked the martyrs of the early church. He argued that most had ample warning befor etheir arrest and could have evaded punishment by simply making a statement or a token offering to Caesar. Additionally, he said that some of the more grotesque treatments of the martyrs were not likely imposed by sensible Roman magistrates and were probably thought of by sexually-frustrated Christian priests.

He went to Paris, saw Notre Dame and called it a "monument to stupidity."

His ideas kinda stuck in the heads of the Revolutionaries (French)--not the whole of them, but the idea that men could question the church and what it stood for and that much of it was very superficial.